• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290 crashing whenever there's little load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bountygiver

I have been getting a lot of GPU crashing and restarting lately when it is used (even not under heavy load), web browsing might crash ~ once an hour but doing heavy load will guarantee a crash. I've googled around and it might be either PSU or GPU problem, anyone know can help and find out what is actually causing the problem?
•Drivers are reinstalled, crashes still occur
•Did a memory test, no problems found
•Only essential hardware are plugged in

GPU-Z log:

http://pastebin.com/7gvF6f7F

Crash happened at 2015-07-28 13:15:41, as you can see the sudden drop in memory used.

Memory test ran without problems

Hardware/OS:

GPU is Sapphire R9 290
Power supply is Cosair TX650W

All hardware are 20 months old (didn't have such problems until recently).

What happens when you crash? BSOD? Black screen and system is off? Just hangs?

What other programs do you have running that could effect the GPU?
Any OC tool like Afterburner?

Looks kind of like the ULPS is causing this issue perhaps.

Which could be driver related but can also be disabled for stability.

Try updating drivers.

Try tbe card in a different pc...

I did reinstalled the drivers, problem still exists

But I have no other PC to test right now, that's why I am asking to analyze the readings.

What happens when you crash? BSOD? Black screen and system is off? Just hangs?

The screen will hang for a second, then goes black and back on, crashing whatever application that is using the GPU with the message "The graphics driver has stopped responding and recovered"

What other programs do you have running that could effect the GPU?
Any OC tool like Afterburner?

Looks kind of like the ULPS is causing this issue perhaps.

Which could be driver related but can also be disabled for stability.

I only had Sapphire TRIXX running, not overcooking but only to tweak the fan speed to a higher value to keep the card cooler (it would went to 90C at high load before tweaking due to low fan speed even at high temp).

I currently had the GPU removed as I still need to use my PC, but I will try disabling ULPS with the card today.

I did reinstalled the drivers, problem still exists
Right, I read that... I was saying to use a different version (update). If you are at the newest, roll back. If you are not at the latest, try it. Reinstalling the same is good to see if it was borked, but try others. ;)

I would also try uninstalling Trixx and not using it, just in case, as SF101 said.

The screen will hang for a second, then goes black and back on, crashing whatever application that is using the GPU with the message "The graphics driver has stopped responding and recovered"

This tells me it isn't the PSU.

Tried disabling ULPS, changing driver versions and uninstalling TRIXX, problem still exists

Try 100MHz less on core and 200MHz less on memory with the +100mV

Tried GPU Core 947 MHz -> 847MHz, Memory Clock 1250 MHz -> 1050 MHz with +100mV GPU Voltage, still crashes under load.

Did you try completely uninstalling the drivers with display driver uninstaller? Do that and then install the 15.7 drivers. See if that helps. Otherwise test the card in another PC - if it's still occurring you probably need to RMA it.

Back