• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing new MOBO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrEd

Registered
So my new M5A99FX MOBO has arrived and I took pictures of the old Gigabyte board and connections so I don't miss something simple. Should I install the CPU first, then the MOBO, or should I install the MOBO and then all the parts? (I am guessing the latter) I don't have a grounding strap, but I know to be cautious and ground my hands on the case to eliminate static discharge. OR do I NEED the grounding strap to be safe? I don't want to do something dumb while building my computer back up. I have never done a MOBO before.

(And yes I have a new cooler also, Hyper 212 EVO)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You'll have to install the Evo's backplate hardware first. Then I would put the board in the case and install the CPU and cooler.

I allways install the cpu and backplate first, then the ram then put it in the case, take your pick.

If you're re-using the same HDD and don'y plan on installing windows again then make sure you uninstall any software from the gigabyte board. It'll just make things smoother in the long run.

I prep the case (stand offs, IO backplate) then install CPU and Ram then cooler and install MB in the case. Don't rush anything, take your time check everything once, twice, three times to make sure you got everything in the right place. Also a ground strap is always a good idea, if you don't have 1, then hold the case with 1 hand and install with the other hand.

Note: IO backplate must go in 1st before MB goes in. I say this because someone did try to install IO backplate after the MB is installed. Little bits of metal broke off and fell in the MB.
I-O-shield-tabs-lost-on-motherboard

Edit: I have built 13 PC's, 2 of them 4P servers (see 4p in the Folding Team thread), so I've had a little practice :)

Last edited:
Back