• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium G3258 owners considering upgrading to Windows 10 beware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I have been trying all day to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on a system I'm building for a customer without any success. I have tried reinstalling Win 8.1, using a flash drive, etc. No dice. In researching this problem I am finding that others on various forums with the Pentium G3258 are having the same issue. Apparently, the new OS is just not compatible with this CPU for some reason.

Might want to re-read the reddit posts,
- "EDIT: Disabling the OC worked a treat."
- "Actually it's working now, I deleted the files from the windows thing, and removed ALL of my devices, now it's on the installation thing, I'm currently at 42%. Also I disabled overclocked on my Pentium G3258"
- "Disabling (EDIT: setting multiplier to AUTO/factory) the OC worked. I'll try to re-OC after the install completes"

Yeah, but I we still don't know if he was able to restore the OC after doing the install. What a bite! Why would this be a problem on this one chip? And who buys a G3258 and doesn't overclock it?

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my personal PC that is running a highly overclocked 4790k and there were no problems. Why should the G3258 be any different?

Update: So I pulled the G3528 and put in an i3-4150. The Windows 10 update worked without a hitch.

And who buys a G3258 and doesn't overclock it?

I think that's the reason right there. Nobody buys the Pentium Anni to run it stock. But most people (indeed, even yourself) won't set bios defaults before upgrading. Those chips overclock to the moon, and easily too, and can be had for cheap. I'm thinking that Microsoft sees all of these variables, and decided to check for stock clocks on that chip before allowing the upgrade. That way, they could avoid the inevitable "W10 upgrade DESTROYED MY DATA!!" outcry that would certainly ensue from people who had their G3258 clocked way to high for an OS install.

So why doesn't the upgrade check for stock clocks on all CPUs, you will ask? My theory: the 4790K costs $340. If you're overclocking a $340 chip, you obviously have a handle on the fact that what you're doing may very well damage both hardware and data. If you upgrade your 4790K system while overclocked, and it borks the install, chances are you will first try reverting to stock, restore from the backup you likely have (who in the know doesn't backup, right?), and try again with success unless the issue wasn't related to the overclock, and Microsoft's support will help from there.

Bottom line: In my opinion, Microsoft wanted to avoid tying up Customer Support with issues cause by overclocking, specifically when related to inexpensive hardware that can be heavily overclocked fairly easily.

I am not sure why it is CPU specific. I installed it, against my better judgement, while running an overclocked 5820K...

One shouldn't update your BIOS or install an OS when overclocked, even if you are stable, just in case. Chances are nothing will happen, but, I have seen problems with people 'thinking' they are stable and only to have something like that bork on them. Reset to stock and update/install went fine.

So trents, the G3258 you were using was overclocked when it didn't work? Did you try dropping the G3258 back in the W10 machine and see if it can now overclock? Did you confirm installing at stock speeds works? I'd love to hear an update (and edit the first post as needed). :)

I think that's the reason right there. Nobody buys the Pentium Anni to run it stock. But most people (indeed, even yourself) won't set bios defaults before upgrading. Those chips overclock to the moon, and easily too, and can be had for cheap. I'm thinking that Microsoft sees all of these variables, and decided to check for stock clocks on that chip before allowing the upgrade. That way, they could avoid the inevitable "W10 upgrade DESTROYED MY DATA!!" outcry that would certainly ensue from people who had their G3258 clocked way to high for an OS install.

So instead they get a ton of calls from G5328 users who had already been running the chip on a stable overclock with Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1. Sorry, I don't buy that logic. Besides, if this was intentional you think they would have made statements warning people with overclocked systems to return the system to stock before attempting to upgrade. I have seen no such warnings in the press or in the instructions attendant to the upgrade process itself.

So why doesn't the upgrade check for stock clocks on all CPUs, you will ask? My theory: the 4790K costs $340. If you're overclocking a $340 chip, you obviously have a handle on the fact that what you're doing may very well damage both hardware and data. If you upgrade your 4790K system while overclocked, and it borks the install, chances are you will first try reverting to stock, restore from the backup you likely have (who in the know doesn't backup, right?), and try again with success unless the issue wasn't related to the overclock, and Microsoft's support will help from there.

Bottom line: In my opinion, Microsoft wanted to avoid tying up Customer Support with issues cause by overclocking, specifically when related to inexpensive hardware that can be heavily overclocked fairly easily.

I am not sure why it is CPU specific. I installed it, against my better judgement, while running an overclocked 5820K...

One shouldn't update your BIOS or install an OS when overclocked, even if you are stable, just in case. Chances are nothing will happen, but, I have seen problems with people 'thinking' they are stable and only to have something like that bork on them. Reset to stock and update/install went fine.

So trents, the G3258 you were using was overclocked when it didn't work? Yes. Did you try dropping the G3258 back in the W10 machine and see if it can now overclock? No. Did you confirm installing at stock speeds works? No, but at least some G3258 owners got it to work after returning it to stock condition. But I'm not sure, as I have checked around on the forums, that has worked for others. I'd love to hear an update (and edit the first post as needed). :)

This happened in a machine I am building for a customer and I have already changed the CPU to an i3-4150 and upgraded to Windows 10. I need to get this machine out to the customer so I don't have the luxuary of playing with it to answer all your questions at this time. But ED, check out the information in this link: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041761574

Dlaw, you could be correct in your hypothesis above after all. This hasn't been confirmed but neither Intel nor Microsoft are denying anything at this point so it smells like collusion. But if so, why with just the G5328? That part still doesn't make sense to me. But if the info in that link is correct, this could explain why some G3258 users are getting lousy overclocks even runing Windows 7/8/8.1.

Last edited:
I am a little unclear on what is going on. Apologies if I haven't fully read the thread but would you clarify:

Can Windows 10 be installed on this system when it is not overclocked?
If it can be installed on a stock factory settings but not on an overclocked system, then it doesn't matter that other overclocked systems can be.
Before installing a Windows Operating System, you should always set it to stock or else you will have problems.... That's something they taught me here at the forums when I joined at the turn of the century.

If this thread is about problems of installing on stock settings, than I missed the point and sorry.

Its both.....some had problems at stock, some had problems when overclocking but went back to stock and it worked. Some disabled a core and it worked.

Absolutely always install Windows/BIOS on non-overclocked systems, I actually remember reading about that here often, but not lately.
We should remind people to do that to avoid this problem.

Things have changed and nowadays we can swap hard drives between systems much more often that we ever could have before.
But installing Windows on a different chipset from scratch is a good idea. And so is installing Windows on stock system settings.

I ran into that also. I upgraded three win-7 and one win8.1 pc with no issues. The fifth one was a Win 8.1 with a G3258cpu, the install would abort, reload and abort.
I had never overclocked it. It had been my media HTPC machine, but it's for sale.
After three attempts, I formatted the hard drive, loaded win 8.1 and at the end it ask if I wanted to upgrade to win-10, so though with a clean install it might work, but it failed just like before.

So, Win 8.1 is on there to stay for now. It works perfectly with 8.1 and that's fine..

Thanks, Pvee. It seems to answer the question about whether or not the overclock was the total issue.

Thanks, Pvee. It seems to answer the question about whether or not the overclock was the total issue.

I changed the cpu to an I3-4170 and Windows 10 loaded up with no issues..
The 4170 seems to be a very good cpu.....

Back