• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Then and Now: Almost 10 Years of Intel CPUs Compare

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
It's hard to believe 15 years have passed since I tested the Pentium 4 series for the first time. At this point I honestly don't remember many of my experiences with the P4 range, if not because of its age then because it was a pretty rubbish series. I do have many fond memories of testing the Core 2 Duo series however.

Six long years after the Pentium 4, we reviewed the first generation Core 2 Duo processors with the dual-core E6000 range and then the quad-core models a year later. To this day the Core 2 Quad Q6600 might be the most popular enthusiast processor we've seen. In fact, almost all Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad chips were notoriously good overclockers and many users still claim to be running overclocked LGA775 processors.

More: Then and Now: Almost 10 Years of Intel CPUs Compared

Interesting. Although the gap between the core 2 quad and the amd fx8350 in gaming seems a little bigger than it should be, ime. Just judging from my qx9650(they tested the q9650), compared to my fx8370, both have 8gb of ram, and both have r9 280x gfx cards, and both put out very similar framerates. My chip does have a bit of an over clock, but it didn't gain that much while gaming from it. So something seems a little off to me about that.

It's interesting that 2700K is still on the top... and it explains why it's so hard to buy Sandy Bridge CPU used in good price - nobody wants to sell it :)

Back