• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would you buy an i7 2600k build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jwalsh

Hey Guys,

So, I have been looking at buying a used desktop PC for a little while now as I want to have a desktop at home simply for ease of use as Its not very comfortable for me to sit at a desk for hours with a laptop.

Today I came across a refurbished build on a site that deals with ex corporate and used computers.

The build I saw had:

Intel i7 2600k

ASUS P8Z-68 Motherboard

16gb Corsair RAM (doesn't specify frequency)

1TB Hard Drive

750w Corsair Power Supply

ATI Radeon 3600 series GPU

Genuine Windows 7 64 BIT

now I'm not too worried about the Hard drive or GPU as I am likely to upgrade to an SSD for the boot drive and maybe a 650ti later down the line.

The thing that surprised me was the price, they only want £150 excluding any peripherals, now I think this is an ASTOUNDING price for what you get but am a bit worried about the 2600k being somewhat "outdated".

The pc will only be used for office, dreamweaver, Photoshop, multitasking, having ALOT of tabs open in my browser and a bit of light gaming, minecraft, skyrim, etc.

Do you guys have any advice regarding the machines capabilities, futureproofness (not a real word) and the I7 2600k in general?.

Do you think it's worth a punt for £150?

Cheers

John

Excellent. Thank you very much for the reply.

Do you think £150 is reasonable?. I've been out of the loop a while :)

I believe it does . The description states "all machines like new, fully refurbished".

I have a choice out of that or an I5 2500k build for £30 cheaper but with 8gb RAM and a 120gb HDD

Get the 2600K and upgrade to an SSD...

Also, 650ti... I take it you don't play games much at all? That is a couple generations old low/midrange card.

Thanks Again!.

Haha! No I don't, I am mainly going to be using it for the aformentioned applications, not much gaming AT ALL, just like to know its there if needed.

I'll certainly bare that in mind! :) thanks a lot for the input, much appreciated.

Just didn't want to buy it and then regret it a year/2 down the line!

That is an epic deal! Jump on that as fast as you can. Hell, even if everything but the chip is dead, it'd be worth it.

Makes me cringe on the resale of mine..... Awesome deal and still a very capable rig.

The refurbished 2600K by itself is selling for $240. The entire rig he's looking at is costing him £150 which according to Cortana equals $234.30. Nobody who knows what they have is going to do that, especially not with 16GB of name brand RAM and that ASUS P8Z-68 (looks like a solid board from what I've read about it).

I don't know how it looks in UK, but it Poland it's still hard to buy used 2600K, because they're so good, that almost nobody wants to sell them.

Back