• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does anyone have any information on how the upgrade path performs vs doing a clean install? All the information I can find talks about how it's possible to do a clean install after upgrading from, say, Windows 7. There's a short Anandtech blurb:

That's nice to know, but I'm wondering if a clean install is necessary or beneficial. I don't see a lot of reports out there with problems doing the free upgrade (aside from people upgrading from an older OS to a beta, then another beta, etc). I know upgrades in the past have been a little spotty.
As far as I understand, to upgrade a key from 7/8/8.1, you must do the "upgrade" from that OS, which converts it to a Windows 10 key. Once that upgrade is done, you can do a standalone install and use the Windows 7/8/8.1 key. I may be wrong, but there isn't a lot of information right now, and I'll probably end up testing it on my laptop so we know for sure.

A clean install is beneficial because you aren't carrying over any clutter from the previous install. I've never been a fan of operating system upgrades because installed programs have unknown behavior during an upgrade. Do they need to be reinstalled? Does it break them? Etc. Installing clean avoids this problem entirely.

Yes, it will "convert" key or rather Winten will remember your hardware (could be MB mac address) so you don't have to type in the licens key at install rather skip the steps and it will activate by it self once installed.

We are of cause talking about upgrading, then clean install order.

I noticed the disk usage on the OS drive was rather high when upgrading to winten, then after i made a clean install there was substantial more free space, maybe around 10GB.

It also seems to fix many "bugs" people have experienced.

All in all i advice all to to a fresh install after their upgrade has activated.
I think the disk usage is because it keeps a full copy of your previous installation around in case you want to roll back. I think it stays there for a month or so.

I think the disk usage is because it keeps a full copy of your previous installation around in case you want to roll back. I think it stays there for a month or so.

That would be a logical explanation, but there is no mention of it making a backup image of your old OS during the upgrade process, quite to opposite it makes you well away that you lose everything (if you chose the clean option)

That would be a logical explanation, but there is no mention of it making a backup image of your old OS during the upgrade process, quite to opposite it makes you well away that you lose everything (if you chose the clean option)
If you do the upgrade, it keeps the old Windows install folder, and even gives you an option to undo the upgrade. After a few months, it removes the old Windows folder.

That old windows folder gets auto deleted after 30 days. So you only have one month for buyers remorse lol.

That old windows folder gets auto deleted after 30 days. So you only have one month for buyers remorse lol.
Accounting for the fact that most people decide whether they like the new OS or not based on what other people are shouting, instead of based off their opinions, 30 days should be more than enough. ;)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-create-your-own-windows-10-iso-dvd-488043.shtml

yes I hate softpedia as well ( and I assume you do to-everything I have ever tried to download from there has malware and virus with it ) but this article has something relevant to my question. Most of the other stuff is over my head (ESD?) but I recognize "install.win" . Does this mean I can use WAIK to make a universal install disc the same as for Win7 ( I don't know if the process is the same for Win8/8.1) ?

As of right now Ive upgraded one of my machines and have quite a few bugs that I hope will resolve with a clean install. I figure why not just make a universal disk (USB ) while I'm at it. Might be a good tim to have one. If no one knows the answer Ill report back after I try it out, but seeing as the initial install took 3 hours and who knows how long it will be for the iso.... then theres my computer literacy to deal with :) Mayhaps you guys already know the answer Also maybe I'm not much of a power user , but I'm not seeing a big difference here except maybe a minimalist UI. Seems like most folks might be just as happy with Win7 or 8/8.1 unless they want Continuum or Cortana

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...vailable/195a4038-c061-4902-bc2b-35922c9d41bc also this page give a bit more in depth explanation about the differences in versions (Pro or Home) than the one in the FAQ (this page explains why Pro and Home list all the same stuff) I don't know if anyone else was interested in that but I sure was scratching my head at that one :)

As I stated in another thread.

I did the upgrade and all went well.

After that upgrade i scrubbed the drive and performed a fresh install from scratch.

Because the upgrade activated I was not required to even enter a serial key as apparently M$ remembered my info and automatically activated the fresh install.

Other than the fact I had to do the in place upgrade first all went rather flawlessly. Obviously there are a few minor bugs that M$ will need to address

The only driver I had to install for Winten was the video card driver.

I found 2 things that seem to need looked at further.

1. Windows Defender doesnt seem to turn on properly at boot up.

2. When using a second monitor there is a glitch where the task bar on the second screen doesnt want to auto hide.
Right clicking the main task bar and then setting the 'Search" option to "Show search icon" seems to fix this for the time being.

Z

http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-create-your-own-windows-10-iso-dvd-488043.shtml

yes I hate softpedia as well ( and I assume you do to-everything I have ever tried to download from there has malware and virus with it ) but this article has something relevant to my question. Most of the other stuff is over my head (ESD?) but I recognize "install.win" . Does this mean I can use WAIK to make a universal install disc the same as for Win7 ( I don't know if the process is the same for Win8/8.1) ?

As of right now Ive upgraded one of my machines and have quite a few bugs that I hope will resolve with a clean install. I figure why not just make a universal disk (USB ) while I'm at it. Might be a good tim to have one. If no one knows the answer Ill report back after I try it out, but seeing as the initial install took 3 hours and who knows how long it will be for the iso.... then theres my computer literacy to deal with :) Mayhaps you guys already know the answer Also maybe I'm not much of a power user , but I'm not seeing a big difference here except maybe a minimalist UI. Seems like most folks might be just as happy with Win7 or 8/8.1 unless they want Continuum or Cortana

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...vailable/195a4038-c061-4902-bc2b-35922c9d41bc also this page give a bit more in depth explanation about the differences in versions (Pro or Home) than the one in the FAQ (this page explains why Pro and Home list all the same stuff) I don't know if anyone else was interested in that but I sure was scratching my head at that one :)

As of right now I can't seem to locate a way to get something similar to WAIK other than a backup, so for now the best way to get a universal install for Winten is to simply use the Media Creation Tool It did not take as long to make the bootable USB through there as it did to update.

As of right now I can't seem to locate a way to get something similar to WAIK other than a backup, so for now the best way to get a universal install for Winten is to simply use the Media Creation Tool It did not take as long to make the bootable USB through there as it did to update.

I don't know of any reason why you would need anything other than WAIK ? I cant figure out how to get the install.wim out of the install.esd however.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2570-esd-iso-create-bootable-iso-windows-10-esd-file.html seems to say that it is contained that way (install.wim in the install.esd) but it is over my head as to how to extract it. I would imagine if it could be extracted though that (the hard way) you could extract the install.wim from each editions ISO and then roll them all into one image with WAIK (just guessing really). I looked for an ei.cfg though and couldn't fine one so there is some other sort of identifier used by the system to decide which version is actually on the ISO. Once again, that's a bit over my head, but I'm looking :)

I don't know of any reason why you would need anything other than WAIK ? I cant figure out how to get the install.wim out of the install.esd however.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2570-esd-iso-create-bootable-iso-windows-10-esd-file.html seems to say that it is contained that way (install.wim in the install.esd) but it is over my head as to how to extract it. I would imagine if it could be extracted though that (the hard way) you could extract the install.wim from each editions ISO and then roll them all into one image with WAIK (just guessing really). I looked for an ei.cfg though and couldn't fine one so there is some other sort of identifier used by the system to decide which version is actually on the ISO. Once again, that's a bit over my head, but I'm looking :)

Just so we are on the same page, trying to understand what you want to do:

You want the install.wim from the install.esd, you want to use the install.wim to combine all winten versions in to a multi install .ISO? Or in this case .ESD

Last edited:
After some research it is not so simple to get the .wim file but not that difficult either. You need to convert the install.esd file into a .ISO file

In short you need:

Step-by-step

To convert the Windows 10 build 10041 install.esd into a bootable ISO

Install a VM with Windows 10 build 9926 (for which there is an ISO)
Install Windows 10 ADK on the VM as well (or copy the oscdimg.exe from another Windows 10 ADK installation)
Start the upgrade of Windows 10 build 9926 to Windows 10 build 10041 via Update and Recovery (the setup process decrypts the ESD file).

Follow this guide.

Last edited:
Just so we are on the same page, trying to understand what you want to do:

You want the install.win from the install.esd, you want to use the install.win to combine all winten versions in to a multi install .ISO? Or in this case .ESD

Correct. My thinking is that if a install.wim from each version (Home 32/64 Pro 32/64) could be rolled into one (no idea if it can be done on Win10 but it works for Win7) then you would be prompted to choose a version on install. I feel it would be a handy little gizmo to have right about now when there are so many installs to do :)

The trouble I run into is that I am trying to extrapolate the process from an earlier OS (Win7 ) and have no idea if it will actually work here. But if the steps you say work out.... it should just be some redundant work to extract the wim from each separate ISO .... then there is the matter of what was called the ei.cfg (edition information ) in Win7. This was a simple file to remove back then (all it was was pretty much a notepad document that told which version to use because apparently all versions were on each disk) but I cannot find it here. Buuuuut....

Ill keep looking into making one of these and if I get it accomplished Ill post steps and otherwise if anyone gets one working let me know :)

As far as I understand, to upgrade a key from 7/8/8.1, you must do the "upgrade" from that OS, which converts it to a Windows 10 key. Once that upgrade is done, you can do a standalone install and use the Windows 7/8/8.1 key. I may be wrong, but there isn't a lot of information right now, and I'll probably end up testing it on my laptop so we know for sure.

A clean install is beneficial because you aren't carrying over any clutter from the previous install. I've never been a fan of operating system upgrades because installed programs have unknown behavior during an upgrade. Do they need to be reinstalled? Does it break them? Etc. Installing clean avoids this problem entirely.

I can clear this up real fast: You actually CANNOT use the Windows 7/8/8.1 key to install or activate Windows 10. Furthermore, I couldn't get my upgraded machine's clean install to activate until I verified my Microsoft account. That leads me to believe that they changed the activation process, and now it seems to be linked to your MS account as well as the hardware on the machine. That makes sense, when you think about how the MS keeps talking about Win10 being a free upgrade for "the life of the PC". I may try a clean install on a spare drive and try to log in to a fresh MS account and verify that this is the case, but that will be another weekend.

When you say you cannot use a legitimate Windows 7/8 key to activate Windows 10, are you talking about the only way that this was possible so far:

1. Fresh install Windows 7/8 and ACTIVATE Windows 7/8 (unless you have an already running Windows 7/8 with a legitimate key).
2. Install Windows 10 OVER already running and activated Windows 7/8.
3. Only then is Windows 10 activation possible, unless Microsoft servers are busy.

4. Only after doing the above mentioned steps, only then you can install Windows 10 fresh, without installing it over Windows 7/8.

Microsoft account *was not* necessary for any of this.

So the question is,
has any of what I just posted changed and if so can we get a second confirmation?

When you say you cannot use a legitimate Windows 7/8 key to activate Windows 10, are you talking about the only way that this was possible so far:

1. Fresh install Windows 7/8 and ACTIVATE Windows 7/8 (unless you have an already running Windows 7/8 with a legitimate key).
2. Install Windows 10 OVER already running and activated Windows 7/8.
3. Only then is Windows 10 activation possible, unless Microsoft servers are busy.

4. Only after doing the above mentioned steps, only then you can install Windows 10 fresh, without installing it over Windows 7/8.

Microsoft account *was not* necessary for any of this.

So the question is,
has any of what I just posted changed and if so can we get a second confirmation?

The steps you mention are true, but the install process wouldn't take my valid Win8.1 key (wasn't surprised). Then, after the install and the driver install process, I checked activation (via Control Panel->System), which read as not activated. Before entering my key again, I figured I'd finish installing my apps (as I was in the middle of an install while I checked), and while I installed Steam, I decided to check my MS account, which needed to be verified by text message. I did that, and then checked activation again, to find it activated.

The steps you mention are true, but the install process wouldn't take my valid Win8.1 key (wasn't surprised). Then, after the install and the driver install process, I checked activation (via Control Panel->System), which read as not activated. Before entering my key again, I figured I'd finish installing my apps (as I was in the middle of an install while I checked), and while I installed Steam, I decided to check my MS account, which needed to be verified by text message. I did that, and then checked activation again, to find it activated.

There can easily be a delay from when you upgrade to when it says activated. All depends on their servers. You don't need the process of migrating your MS account.

You will get the upgrade notice on your legit windows 8.1 or 7, what ever you have, then you upgrade and ofc winten/MS servers will remember your machine from before the upgrade thus activating, though it could be immediate or have several hours of delay, after the upgrade is done and it's activated you can then clean install.

A clean install or upgrade of Windows 10 will automatically activate on an existing PC if you follow the rules.
That is, it must have come with Windows 7 or Windows 8. And the version of Windows 10 you install must match the version of the previous OS. If you had Windows 7 Home Basic, for example, you must use Windows 10 Home. If you do, it will work. If you don’t, you will be prompted to activate and you will need a Windows 10 Pro product key.

Not surprising. Activation servers are getting hammered right now. MS tech support said the same thing.

Back