• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think it's very important that we don't confuse people reading this thread about one of the most important issues, which is how to *actually install* Windows 10.

The steps you mention are true, but the install process wouldn't take my valid Win8.1 key.

Not being able to activate Windows 7/8 *has nothing to do* with Windows 10.

The assumption that a Microsoft account is required is not correct.
You do not need a Microsoft account.
You can activate Windows 10 without one.
Provided Microsoft servers are not busy, this remains the correct procedure! Nothing has changed:

When you say you cannot use a legitimate Windows 7/8 key to activate Windows 10, are you talking about the only way that this was possible so far:

1. Fresh install Windows 7/8 and ACTIVATE Windows 7/8 (unless you have an already running Windows 7/8 with a legitimate key).
2. Install Windows 10 OVER already running and activated Windows 7/8.
3. Only then is Windows 10 activation possible, unless Microsoft servers are busy.

4. Only after doing the above mentioned steps, only then you can install Windows 10 fresh, without installing it over Windows 7/8.

Microsoft account *was not* necessary for any of this.

Need some clarification.

I have 8.1 Professional and I want to do a clean windows 10 install.

Do I upgrade to 10 using current 8.1 install....let it upgrade and activate then use a MS CD Key finder program to get the "new" CD Key then I am free to do a clean install using it?

Is that correct?

---

Also can I bypass the reservation if I have the ISO? 2 of my computers are eligible, and one is not.

Need some clarification.

I have 8.1 Professional and I want to do a clean windows 10 install.

Do I upgrade to 10 using current 8.1 install....let it upgrade and activate then use a MS CD Key finder program to get the "new" CD Key then I am free to do a clean install using it?

Is that correct?

---

Also can I bypass the reservation if I have the ISO? 2 of my computers are eligible, and one is not.

Almost.

You upgrade to windows 10 pro (you have windows 8.1 pro) wait for it to activate, then you download the .ESD from here and create a USB/DVD to make a clean install.

No need to get your key. You have no use for it at windows 10

Edit:

You can bypass the reservation or "skip" the line with the tool i linked, just chose upgrade, use the same tool to create the .ESD (Install on another computer) and it will create a USB/DVD for you.

So there are no CD Keys at all in Windows 10?
Does it use my hardware ID to match to their activation servers or something?

If no, for future reference...if I upgrade to a new computer or motherboard fails, will I need to repurchase windows 10?

No, but since you won't have the 25 digit key to do a straight up winten install, you'll have to install 8.1 on the new hardware, activate it and then upgrade to winten. After that you can do a clean install as the activations server will recognize your new machine. This only applies to full versions of win7/8.1.

Right, but after the 12 month window, I assume I am out of luck at that point right?

If I would be -- could I somehow create a fresh install then create a mirrored image of the OS so whenever I want a clean install, I simply pull the image and reinstall that?

No you aren't. You have a year to take advantage of the free winten offer. Once you go with the deal, it should be good until it goes EOL in 2025.

An image is only good if you are installing it on the same hardware. If you switch to a different motherboard, it will most likely BSoD because the chip set drivers will be the wrong ones.

If you buy winten off the shelf or download, then it will have the COA key. Otherwise your earlier installed OS is the key within the free upgrade period.

Last edited:
Having a problem with Windows 10 sometimes taking forever to give the "Safe to Remove Device" message when trying to disconnect usb storage devices.

So once I activate it, the MS activation servers link my current copy of windows 8 to windows 10 and it always knows I am included in the deal even after the first year ends?

Still when you update Win7/8 to 10 then best is to remember your product key. When you try to reinstall Win10 then it asks for a key or you will need it for activation anyway. Win8 keys are signed to the laptops and OEM desktop computers ( installatior reads it from BIOS ). If you buy parts and build computer on your own then it won't have it signed in BIOS.

Microsoft servers will only remember Win7/8 key used for Win10 installation but if you forget your key then you won't be able to reinstall Win10 later ( if you don't have it signed to the hardware ).

So you update Win7/8 to 10. Next activate it ( be sure it activates as there are still problems with that ). Next write down product key and put it in safe place ( if you have BOX/OEM copy it's no problem, if you have laptop you don't have the key and have to read it using Windows command or diagnostic software - AIDA64 works good ).

Already updated Win7/8 to 10 on 5 computers and 1 tablet. With most were no problems. One required to install some additional updates.

Legacy commandline snafus =

Legacy.Utils.W10.poop.01.png

Anyone seen old cmdline weirdo behaviors? I have tried running this with the local admin/domain admin to no avail.

BTW, MS Edge now ALLOWS you to run as an administrator. These are strange and scary times.:screwy:

BTW, MS Edge now ALLOWS you to run as an administrator. These are strange and scary times.:screwy:

I've seen many places compare the new OS the what Google has been doing to Android users for quite some time. You know that free OS that has to be hacked into so that you can have administrative privileges on your own device? For a Google device it voids the warranty and not much more, but the versions are changing so fast that it constantly needs to be redone. I have no idea how M$ is going to handle this issue, I was just trying to give a word to the wise (in case you didn't know) that this is an already seen issue in other arenas

Well folks, I am "writing" in this post using my surface Pro 3. Thus far the handwriting recognition is pretty spot on, barring a few
minor typos. The no longer sluggish. I've turned off all options under privacy settings. No problems here regarding ejecting USB devices.

If anyone is using a PIN to log in like I am, you may have noticed that Num Lock isn't enabled by default on the lock screen.
There are two ways to enable this. One requires a registry change, the other doesn't.

First method (no registry change):
- Cut on your computer
- Press Num Lock on the lock screen
- Use the icon in the lower right to restart
- Num Lock should be enabled by default now

Second method (registry method):
- Press the Win key, type RegEdit and hit Enter
- Go to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard
- Change "InitialKeyboardIndicators" to 80000002
- On the next boot your computer will have Num Lock enabled at the Lock Screen.

All options for this registry change:
80000000 - Turn all modifiers off
80000001 - Turn Caps Lock on
80000002 - Turn Num Lock on
80000003 - Turn Caps Lock and NumLock on
80000004 - Turn Scroll Lock on
80000005 - Turn Caps Lock and Scroll Lock on
80000006 - Turn Num Lock and Scroll Lock on
80000007 - Turn all modifiers on

so i have a question concerning the licensing of winten, being...

OK so some websites state that the license of winten free upgrade follows whatever version you are upgrading from namely...

retail version either upgrade or full - retail upgrade of winten with transfer to another computer being permissible

oem version - no transfer to another computer

so here's the big question, so for those of us who like to change parts a lot, or maybe just do an annual upgrade with rebuilds every so often, how will this be handled. If for instance my upgrade path was

Windows Vista Ultimate > Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade > Winten pro upgrade .... if say in a year and a month if I decide to change my 4670k to a 4790k, change from a r290 to a radeon fury, and put 16gb of ram instead of 8gb and change ssd to a 1tb one, will I have to buy another upgrade license? or will it truly follow the same type of license as I have read stated before and allow even the free upgrade to be transferrable to another pc (or able to be re-activated on a pc with significant hardware changes)...e.g. is this just a glorified 1 year sample for pc enthusiasts?

As far as I understand the license key for oem licenses is attached to motherboard

As far as I understand the license key for oem licenses is attached to motherboard
when i wrote not transfer to another computer i was more or less stating that, but my question was if i upgraded from a retail upgrade version, and significantly changed parts after a year (when the free upgrade ends) do I have to buy a new copy of winten?

This is really pissing me off.

I upgraded 8.1 pro to 10 pro.
I did the reset via control panel to give me a clean install.
I get an INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE Error.

I've checked the BIOS, forced it to go from the correct hard drive. No luck.

No idea what to do to get the damn thing to give me a fresh install.

I can count on my fingers and toes how many times my thread has helped me through the ole' "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" error in Vista, Win7, Win8/8.1, could 10 be this easy too? :D

I do not believe the boot files have changed in winten, but someone would need to confirm. Typically, in this type of situation, you ONLY need to do the bcdedit steps.

Back