• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Friggin' awesome man.
Thanks for posting that.

...He was able to discover two new functions "IsCPUSupported(void)" and "IsDeviceServiceable(void)" inside the March 2017 version of wuaueng.dll, delivered through KB4012218.
Zeffy's scripts patch this DLL file and make the two functions output "1", which translates to "supported CPU." This, in turn, starts the update procedure, delivering new security updates to users Microsoft wanted to block.

The only downside of these solutions is you have to apply a new patch whenever wuaueng.dll gets updated," says Zeffy in his GitHub repo README. Fortunately, the entire task doesn't take long to complete.

Is this the actual download page and how do we quickly tell which to download:
https://github.com/zeffy/kb4012218-19/tree/master/patch_scripts/aio/patches

I am reading about it and it talks about Microsoft Malware Protection Engine update addressing this and *that* is the cure.

Well so what if we completely turned off Windows Defender and Windows Firewall and are using freeware third party firewall and antivirus... That's a legitimate question. Does simply having the latest definitions resolve this issue, in other words, question: This is not about applying a Windows operating system patch, it's just about having the latest malware/antivirus definitions... true or false?

Updated to the Creators Update a couple days ago. Have had a bunch of random issues. Apparently Chrome does not behave well in the CU, I get crashes and complaints about being out of memory, I have 16GB... and watching resource monitor it never goes up over 3. It 's like it is jumping to page file/swap for no reason, filling that, and then complaining and crashing applications. Have seen the same thing with Slack as well.

I'm thinking I may have to do a roll-back to before the update as it has been a bigger pain in the *** than I was expecting to have.

Updated to the Creators Update a couple days ago. Have had a bunch of random issues. Apparently Chrome does not behave well in the CU, I get crashes and complaints about being out of memory, I have 16GB... and watching resource monitor it never goes up over 3. It 's like it is jumping to page file/swap for no reason, filling that, and then complaining and crashing applications. Have seen the same thing with Slack as well.

I'm thinking I may have to do a roll-back to before the update as it has been a bigger pain in the *** than I was expecting to have.

How do you trigger the out of memory in Windows Creator, I would like to try that I have Chrome.

Not sure, most of the time it appears to happen when I'm watching a youtube video or something and only have a handful of tabs open

Something is screwy with windows 10 Creator. I ran my Chrome browser with 53 tabs open then tried to run MSI Afterburner and I got a error unable to hook, reopened again and it worked. Also when I ran BF1 it was hitching with the browser tabs open and STAR WARS Battlefront would not open until I closed my browser the first time.

I'm glad I have macrium reflect running daily incrementals. I'm reverting prior to the patch.

Major new Windows 10 builds are like new OS installs. The installed programs are still there, but from registry to anything you may have modified, it's all hosed and set to brand new defaults.

I would image the OS partition before the next major new release gets released, there is now a documented history of these being everything that Beta releases are... with widespread Beta release issues that get fixed later on. This was happening with Redstone 1 and before that with Threshold 2. [Threshold 1 being the only other major release, so there were three.]

When Redstone 3 comes out at the end of the year, image your OS partition, it will be just like the previous three - Beta releases that get fixed only after you guys report these issues.
If you can't image, then wait at least one month if that is an option, since the next monthly round up of fixes will include a motherload of fixed issues.
Current issues should get sorted out by mid June.

Last edited:
• Windows 10 [Version 1507], codenamed "Threshold 1", is the first release of Windows 10.
It carries the build number 10.0.10240;
It has been retroactively named "version 1507" by Microsoft per its naming conventions for future major new releases of Windows 10.
The final release was made available to Windows Insiders on July 15, 2015, followed by a public release on July 29, 2015.

• Windows 10 [Version 1511], codenamed "Threshold 2", also known as the November Update, is the first major update to Windows 10.
It carries the build number 10.0.10586 and version 1511, referencing its date of release, November 2015.
The final release was made available to Windows Insiders on November 3, 2015, followed by a public release on November 12, 2015.

• Windows 10 [Version 1607], codenamed "Redstone 1", also known as the Anniversary Update, is the second major update to Windows 10.
It carries the build number 10.0.14393 and version 1607.
It was released to the public on August 2, 2016.

• Windows 10 [Version 1703], codenamed "Redstone 2", also known as the Creators Update, is the third major update to Windows 10.
It carries the build number 10.0.15063 and version 1703.
It was released to the public on April 5, 2017.

Last edited:
Thanks c6, I never had any issues with Win10 until this update. Anniversary and the ones before all seemed fine. I may end up trying to do a clean install at some point, but can't be bothered right now. Just reverted, going to clean out the update cache and hope I can prolong it's auto-install as long as possible.

It seems that Windows 10 Update now no longer postpones the update download if network was designated by the user as being "metered".
You may remember, people did this to prevent Windows 10 Update from utilizing massive data allotments.

Microsoft figured out that this was used as a workaround to defy the requirement for all updates to be automatically downloaded and installed...

But on the other hand, it is legit that some people have limited data allotments... So now there is no workaround.

http://www.myce.com/news/majority-w...nd-full-diagnostic-data-back-microsoft-82357/

"The majority of Windows 10 computers with the Creators Update installed send full diagnostics data to Microsoft, according to a blog on the Microsoft website."

"Users now have to confirm several privacy settings during the installation. This includes the diagnostic data that Windows 10 collects and sends to Microsoft."

"When the full level is selected, the basic data is sent and also additional information about the device, connectivity and configuration, but also app and browser usage, fragments of hand typed text and more extensive error reports."

So this is yet another new batch of settings, not covered by previous registry modifications to guard our privacy. What this means is that even if you do the legwork of figuring out the new registry settings, a whole new set is likely to be released with the next major build when it gets released... At least twice a year is what they are scheduled currently.

Hand typed text? A lawyer could use this info to raise a possibility that written data was shared with a third party, and argue a case based on this.

The reason I say this is because this actually happened a long time ago when they found out that unlike WordPerfect, Microsoft Word sent actual contents of files to Microsoft with those old crash reports, and there was a court case that was affected by this.

sheesh, im about to switch back to windows 7 starting to get out of hand. if it were anymore out of hand it would be jamie lannister.

Back