• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All kinds of problems with Firefox and Windows 10 here and a little research on the net suggests it is pretty widespread. After FF has been in use for a number of hours or days it will not display web pages correctly. I get frames that are trying unsuccessfully with content but not succeeding. Just blue, white and black colors. I can't even close FF when this is going on except through Task Manager. Since this problem disappears upon reboot and reappears reliably after a period of use I'm thinking it's a memory leak issue. Chrome works fine when this happens in FF and I kill FF though Task Manager.

Hmm, good thing I don't leave my PC on for days, or if I do, I leave it at the desktop with nothing open.

... this still shouldn't happen, but at least there is an easy workaround.

The next time it happens, check its memory use. Check before you leave the PC to see how much its using, then check it when its hosed.

Are you guys using Firefox 40.0? Firefox version 40.0, first offered to Release channel users on August 11, 2015 [that is today's date, this is a brand new non-Beta version released today.]

What's New in version 40.0 Official Release: Support for Windows 10.
That could imply previous versions did not have full Win10 support.

I am on 39.0.3 and my system uptime is 2:13:34:50 with no issues in Firefox, which has been open the entire time. When I first installed Windows 10, I had the OS up for a few days, before the system restarted for updates.

Win10 just knows not to mess with me, I guess. You gotta show it who is boss.

:shrug:

I am now. Thanks for the reminder, c627**** I had assumed FF would automatically update itself as soon as a new version is out. Guess the check for new version interval is not as frequent as I thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, good thing I don't leave my PC on for days, or if I do, I leave it at the desktop with nothing open.

I caught that, ED.

Caught..... what? I didn't throw anything?

EDIT: Ohhhhhhhh..... haha!!! No... this wasn't in reference to your instructions for clients with slow PCs if that is what you are getting at?

Updated ff today to version 40, now when I go to google maps I can see the map for a few seconds and then the map turns completely black. Anyone else have that issue?

Caught..... what? I didn't throw anything?

EDIT: Ohhhhhhhh..... haha!!! No... this wasn't in reference to your instructions for clients with slow PCs if that is what you are getting at?

Yes. Mad me laugh so no offense. I enjoy a little pointed humor as much as anybody.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated ff today to version 40, now when I go to google maps I can see the map for a few seconds and then the map turns completely black. Anyone else have that issue?

No problem here.

This may not be your issue, but I have seen this happen when street view is enabled.

can anyone tell me if you can do a clean install from windows 10 to windows 10? im thinking of a backup and wipe of my boot SSD then installing one or the other. Ever since i have upgraded to 10 i have been having random lock ups. it is getting to a point where even the gf is getting annoyed by them, Several times an hour 24/7. so its either doing a clean reinstall of 10 or going back to 7 ult. I have checked for unauthorized programs and have ran AVG thoroughly to no avail. all drivers are up to date as far as i can see.

This may not be your issue, but I have seen this happen when street view is enabled.

I was trying to get to street view, but the screen turned black before I even got a chance to drag the yellow dude into place.

can anyone tell me if you can do a clean install from windows 10 to windows 10? im thinking of a backup and wipe of my boot SSD then installing one or the other. Ever since i have upgraded to 10 i have been having random lock ups. it is getting to a point where even the gf is getting annoyed by them, Several times an hour 24/7. so its either doing a clean reinstall of 10 or going back to 7 ult. I have checked for unauthorized programs and have ran AVG thoroughly to no avail. all drivers are up to date as far as i can see.
There is an option in the OS to do a "restore", with an option to wipe the drive completely and start from scratch, yes.

Disabling hardware acceleration in FF fixed the black screen issue for me

Glad you got this fixed, but I would question why this is necessary. Possibly look for a new video driver. I recall these types of issues with 32 bit apps with poop Nvidia drivers, PLEASE tell me this crap isnt happening all over again.

I abhor Nvidia, but that's a whole different story. I wonder if Thiddy remembers. lol

Does anyone have that logitech keyboard bug? When you raise the volume on the keyboard, it makes the screen flicker while raising an lowering taking the screen out of focus.

If so, has anyone tried to install it's drivers to see if it works? I will when I have a moment. :)

I have a Razer Blackwidow Chroma and Naga Epic Chroma. When I raise or lower the audio with the mouse function buttons the audio crackles a little in Windows 10 Pro. It didn't do this in WIndows 8.1 Pro.

I'm not ready to revert back to Windows 8.1 Pro just yet but there are a lot of things that are downgrades about Windows 10 Pro which bug me and then these strange issues.

One of the things I really like about Windows 10 is that MS reinstated the Windows 7 backup and restore utility. They had left it Windows 8 but had removed it in Windows 8.1. The Windows 8.1 backup and restore utility was very limited.

Updated drivers through the nvidia geforce experience to 355.60 and re-enabled hw acceleration, no black screen. I wonder if ms updated the driver on Tuesday and somehow broke google maps with ff.

Allowing Windows Update to update your hardware drivers is like playing Hardware Russian Roulette.

I could see why Windows software critical updates are important, but having a hardware driver version from last month instead of from this month is not supposed to be a system critical threat! Video card driver updates are most notorious for interfering with basic computer usage after an unneeded driver update.

Back