• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is it actually running at 4.8 in the BIOS? I had some issues with the developer preview of 10 not reading CPU speed correctly. Otherwise , would the power settings cause it to act that way?

this is on a crosshair 5 f.
under win7 it would settle right in but with 10 it just sets at my bios set base clock.
I'll set it all back to default and check it later.

Yeah, my 8370 will not idle down in win10 if I have it overclocked. Only itlf at default.

One of the big "phone home" issues came to light when I helped a neighbor install 8.1 recently. She doesn't know telemetry from geometry. She's a very nice , disabled lady who counts on her computer for a lot of access to the outside world , and streaming entertainment. She is on a low , fixed income and couldn't afford more bandwidth if it were available. In our little corner of Purgatory the best service we can get is 5 Mps. Her service is only "3 Mps" which tests out to 2.11 Mps average. If her OS was calling home hundreds , let alone thousands , of times per hour I suspect her connection wouldn't be much use for anything else. I fail to see where that would be to "Enhance her OS experience".

so' it's time to do a fresh install on my 4570s rig.
I did the online upgrade and have it running well.
I have downloaded the media creation tool.
I can't find a win10 image so I assume the tool will pull an image that is stashed in my system some place.
I have one, os ssd and two storage drives, do I remove the storage drives like we did with 8 and 7?
anything else I need to know or do?

disconnected all but the target drive.
downloaded media creation tool to desktop.
blank usb 3.0 drive in usb slot.
double clicked media creation tool, it pointed itself to the usb drive and is writing to the drive now, while I am at the forge and anvil, making door handles.

went to usb drive and double clicked set up.
selected download and install updates.

selected "keep files and apps and it's installing.
installed and done, shut down, connected storage drives, restarted and it would not see the wireless mouse and keyboard,
removed and reinstalled wireless dongle from the kvm and it picked it right up.
had to reboot and wait a bit and after a while it picked up the 2 storage drives, a bit is more like 5 minutes after the drive light had gone out.

Last edited:
I can't find a win10 image so I assume the tool will pull an image that is stashed in my system some place.
I have one, os ssd and two storage drives, do I remove the storage drives like we did with 8 and 7?

Get W 10 here, it's directly from MS. It will be the latest .iso.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-download/techbench

I would always remove the storage drives when installing any OS.

I have been wondering if it is simply enough to shut off the drive in the BIOS for this kind of thing? I had never had a problem with the storage drive until my last install but then had problems that were solved by shutting the storage drive down in BIOS. I had thought that I was done eith the build and closed up the case already - I wasnt opening that thing again without every keystroke possible :)

So all is well with that issue, but will it continue to be a valid fix? Was I just lucky?

windoze is just so sloppy and lazy, disconnect all drives other than the target drive.

please keep up with me in post #547.....

it's in and done, very easy as fresh installs go.
making the choice to keep my files and stuff was the right one as it kept all my drivers also.
windoze is still sloppy as it's 39% fragmented as read by defraggler so a defrag is in order when we head out to diner.

The main reason to disconect all but the target drive is to prevent boot files placed on other drives. This is so annoying :facepalm:

I have mine up and running, have done the fresh install over the "upgrade".
I have run the scripts in powershell and other mods linked in the first post.
all the icons and stuff you see in file explorer look so "cheesy" and "70's" anybody found a way to make it look and better???

Windows 10 TH2 (sp1) still giving off more errors then its worth, anyone got more stuff to add to the list or knows if we can stick to th1 (stock) till this gets fixed ?

+1 for GPOs to block updates. Still humming along in October 2015. lol

What a frustrating model for the public. :rolleyes:

Back