• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, MS also did away with the necessity to audit/write autoexec.bat and config.sys for every hardware and software change in a PC. So I guess the times they are a-changing.

I wonder what percent of bat/cmd files are malicious...

Powershell has the capability to do pretty much everything command prompt did but is easier, has autocomplete functions, and writing scripts makes a hell of a lot more sense in the ISE.

To be clear. there was no way this was ever going to happen.
We knew they messed with CMD, we just didn't know how or why.
It turns out they just removed the links to CMD to make it more difficult to get to them.

As a clarification on why they would never remove CMD they said
"The Cmd shell remains an essential part of Windows, and is used daily by millions of businesses, developers, and IT Pro's around the world."
"Cmd is one of the most frequently run executables on Windows!"
"Many of our customers and partners are totally dependent on Cmd, and all it's quirks, for their companies' existence!"

I hope a journalist follows up on that and asks them
Then why are you @#$%! messing with it in any way, even if it's just to remove links to it and to make it more difficult to get to?

I am fairly CMD illiterate, but I use it when I have to. A search does show alternatives to exist. Are any of them viable?

To be clear. there was no way this was ever going to happen.
We knew they messed with CMD, we just didn't know how or why.
It turns out they just removed the links to CMD to make it more difficult to get to them.

As a clarification on why they would never remove CMD they said
"The Cmd shell remains an essential part of Windows, and is used daily by millions of businesses, developers, and IT Pro's around the world."
"Cmd is one of the most frequently run executables on Windows!"
"Many of our customers and partners are totally dependent on Cmd, and all it's quirks, for their companies' existence!"

I hope a journalist follows up on that and asks them
Then why are you @#$%! messing with it in any way, even if it's just to remove links to it and to make it more difficult to get to?

what links did they remove? I can type cmd into my start menu (as I do for almost everything) and it opens as it always has.

PowerShell is now the defacto command shell from File Explorer. It replaces Command Prompt (aka, "cmd.exe") in the WIN + X menu, in File Explorer's File menu, and in the context menu that appears when you shift-right-click the whitespace in File Explorer.

The big picture here is Marketing 101 fail on their part. Nothing really changed. They were never good at handling publicity/marketing in all of Microsoft's history.
This happens all the time with them.

The big picture here is Marketing 101 fail on their part. Nothing really changed. They were never good at handling publicity/marketing in all of Microsoft's history.
This happens all the time with them.
How? A vast majority of Windows users don't know what a command line is, let alone be able to tell anything changed. Powershell works better than cmd, so I don't understand why this is a bad thing at all.

Was it an option to simply add Powershell instead of replace/hide CMD?
There would have been no computer news headlines scaring people away from their flagship product that way.

I doubt that the type of people that frequently read/view computer news websites a) don't already know what powershell is or b) already know how to access command prompt. If they cared at all.

I agree they could have added another line, but it is mostly redundant.

I wonder what percent of bat/cmd files are malicious...

Powershell has the capability to do pretty much everything command prompt did but is easier, has autocomplete functions, and writing scripts makes a hell of a lot more sense in the ISE.

i may have or have not brought down the entirety of our schools computers with a simple forkbomb batch file lmao id imagine theres a bunch of worse stuff you can do with batch or shell scripts.

i find shell scripts handy and way more powerful than batch(cmd). i have a few of each on my server that auto run periodically to do automated tasks, for more complicated things shell wins every time.

though for running stuff like ffmpeg idk if you can even run them in shell? i havent tried.

i may have or have not brought down the entirety of our schools computers with a simple forkbomb batch file lmao

:rofl:

"Back in the good old days of MS-DOS/Win95/Win98" a batch file was one of the simplest way to seriously ruin someone's day. I may or may not be guilty of doing something similar on an IT course where the teacher put me in charge of re-installing MS-DOS 6.22 (all 4 floppy's) on 24 computers one at a time :mad:

:rofl:

"Back in the good old days of MS-DOS/Win95/Win98" a batch file was one of the simplest way to seriously ruin someone's day. I may or may not be guilty of doing something similar on an IT course where the teacher put me in charge of re-installing MS-DOS 6.22 (all 4 floppy's) on 24 computers one at a time :mad:

yeah our school was careless with the administrator's password, so i made a exe that triggered when IE was launched and it installed the batch into the startup file of everyone on that computer, well when you logged out those folders synced with the server for roaming profiles. so i logged in the admin dropped my exe and fake IE shortcut in and logged out, then everyone proceeded to login on the admins account and that was that. within a week not a single pc in any of the labs worked and half the teachers computers had it on their startup as well lol, and the labs didnt work till a few months into the next school year from what i heard.

Wow man, that's some devious evil stuff.
You guys take pleasure in messing up other people's lives? :shrug:

I only ruined one day of a teacher that spent 2 months on my case. Revenge may be petty but sometimes it's fun (plus i was 14 at the time) especially after an undeserved punishment :clap:

Wow man, that's some devious evil stuff.
You guys take pleasure in messing up other people's lives? :shrug:

nah not really, did more so when i was a dumb teenager.
it was more to show the IT how dumb it was to let even teachers have the admin login info for the entire network, let alone all of the students, also having a password for the admin account being something as simple as "oklahoma".

in reality it was a harmless prank that was easily fixed (if you knew what you were doing) no data was harmed just had to boot in safe mode and delete the shortcut in the startup folder.

Back