• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
None of my college software has expired. I've reinstalled and reactivated with impunity. So I'm guessing my two colleges didn't report my graduation to the affected parties lol.

I am really starting to get aggravated with W10. Can someone tell me how I can use my start menu again. Suddenly my start menu has ceased to function. I had this issue with the developer preview, there was a reg hack to solve it. I look online and it seems I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. There are 4 different ways to "possibly" solve this problem. I have tried 3/4 and am really getting tired of this garbage operating system.:mad:

I haven't had one issue with the start menu, what are you experiencing? Been using Win10 for about 5 months now.

Im assuming you've gone the sfc /scannow and dism route as they are the easiest?

- - - Updated - - -

There is apparently a freeze issue some are running into

fix options including the one i posted.

Also, switching to tablet mode and back.

And an elevated powershell cmdlet one

Probably other fixes

Other standard suggestions include the old kill explorer.exe and restart it....salesman reset ftw

I haven't had one issue with the start menu, what are you experiencing? Been using Win10 for about 5 months now.

Right there with you brother, but for whatever reason my start menu no longer functions. Quantify - left-click does not work on the window icon. Every user, domain, local, brand new user ALL experience the same issue. I also noticed I can no longer right click on ANY icon on the taskbar also. (same behavior with domain, local, new user)

Im assuming you've gone the sfc /scannow and dism route as they are the easiest?

Yep. I have tried all the "normal" google searches for this one, dism, sfc, powershell, taskmgr - explorer, reg hack, tilelibrary(this one is hilarious).

A little bit of how I apply updates. I never do, lol. :D I typically take a snapshot the month I decide to do updates, today is the day and find my start menu doesnt function at all! Getting me even more heated :mad: was I am unable to get into the settings area without the start menu.

HOWEVER, I found if i just go into display settings by right-clicking the desktop I can get there. I have a WHOLE host of garbage in the eventlog =

System-EVTLOG said:
The server App did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
The server CortanaUI did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Those errors led me to a little known location in the EVTLOG, where I find even more oddball errors =
Windows Logs - App and Services - Microsoft - Windows - Apps - Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational said:
Activation of the app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI for the Windows.Launch contract failed with error: The app didn't start..
Activation of the app Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with error: The app didn't start..

Now that I found the settings area, I am going to see if an update can "SELF HEAL". :rain:

Did you disable any of the features using any of the various applications or scripts out there? Maybe by uninstalling/disabling cortana it broke the start menu? Have you tried installing ClassicShell to see if it fixes it?

Did you disable any of the features using any of the various applications or scripts out there? Maybe by uninstalling/disabling cortana it broke the start menu? Have you tried installing ClassicShell to see if it fixes it?

The last change I made was deployed the black theme for the UI via group policy. That was at least one month ago and I would say I am using my W10 VM box on average 3 days a week. It's not often I am playing around in the start menu, other than admin tools from RSAT for domain administration. Recently, been working on other projects and have neglected my poor W10 VM. :D

Updates still installing, but I just have to mention, the whole point of an OS is for the components to work. I really am getting tired of installing other components to have the actual product work in a fashion it should.

If it's still broken after the updates apply I will try your suggestion. Thanks. :thup:

SELF HEAL is just marketing crap, VM still pooped. According to eventlog, problem started today at 1:32PM EST??? :rolleyes:

Classic Shell works! Still receiving weirdo messages in that eventlog location about app not starting bleh bleh. Thanks. :thup:

I used this method to restore it, and I am not the only one who has experienced this.
Missing Windows 10 Start Button right click menu was located inside WinX folder
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ght-click-menu-was-located-inside-WinX-folder

Thanks C6, removed ClassicShell and tried your suggestion, no love. No right-click, No left-click on windows icon, unable to bring up action center etc. Remember this issue very well from the developer preview, but the reghack solved it instantly. This one needs more investigation and quite frankly, have no real interest (possibly laziness) in solving this problem, I'll just work around it until MS releases a patch to fix it. Poor Windoze 10 VM.:nuts:

Yea, I have switched to Classic Shell too!
You can't beat custom Start Menu, because there is no "best" Start Menu, best is a custom individual preference.

They sure don't want you messing with Cortana. She will stalk you and make you regret the day you tried to get rid of her.

hal.png

I'm sorry. I was just making a joke. Wrong thread and I keep forgetting how hard it is to convey humor (especially warped humor) in a post. I had a rough day yesterday and should have been paying more attention to what I was doing. Mea culpa.

Last edited:
Yeah , W10 is the coolest. Just drink the Kool Aid. That will make it all better.

I dont understand this response.

I have been using Windoze 10 "RTM" for a while in a domain environment. No issues. I have used the provided GPO links from Microsoft and have applied them to my infrastructure since inception. Disabling of certain privacy links, including the disabling of Cortana, prevention of auto updates, and excluding myself from the "feedback and reporting" clip Microsoft seems to be fond of with this release. These are ALL things Microsoft allows and are built-in, AND as mentioned this suddenly became an issue approximately midday without warning (other than disconcerting incessant event log messages).

Could you even imagine being in an enterprise environment supporting thousands of individuals and the start menu stops working entirely with no rhyme or reason? I think this operating system continues to be a work in progress and is not fit for production.

I am glad from the competition perspective that Windoze 10 will usher in new operating system flavors into the enterprise. I am hopeful the Microsoft workstation will eventually be replaced with some other desktop operating system. :thup:

I have a strong belief the issue is related to action center and the notification window which pops up on the right. I cannot get this notification area to open, does anyone have a commandline/ alternate way to make this view available?

I dont understand this response.

It sounds like a completely understandable Alaric response to me lol :p

Basically, I translate it to mean: Come jump off the cliff into the initial revs of Windows 10. Sure there may be bugs and glitches, but that's all part of the joys of learning. Come learn with us.

Bug and glitches are hilarious in gaming.....like the first year of so of Guild Wars, where AI characters would get stuck on rocks......but not in an OS environment, where a team of god knows how many people should have tested for those things.

My conclusion on the data/privacy thing is this: Going forward, we are going to have less and less control, unless we decide not to buy products that give us less and less control. So, as long as masses just BUY without thinking, those who care about the subject, will be forced to use other OS's than ones we may WANT to use, but are reluctant to, due to the privacy concerns.

Back