• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's a good point c6. The funny thing about this upgrade is the marketing non-sense. I love how it tells you, "..your files are exactly where they used to be.."

Funny enough, when upgrading this VM, I did not receive this message. :rofl:

Did it actually realize it bonked my files. :D

My 3 VMs are just placeholders. I'll update them about once per month. Desktop installations are live and most likely will update daily.

We need to remember the big picture here is that just because certain things happen to individuals, they are neither the rule or norm.
Windows 10 update goes off seamlessly in the majority of cases.

I am entering a little bit of state of panic, lol I have one day to go and still have not put the system together.

I can't remember which thread I posted what time the offer ends, I thought it was 5am central on the 29th, does anyone remember, I know I posted it somewhere, I can't find it anywhere on the internet now.... at what time do they shut off the free activation?

Thank you.
I may be activating mine a few seconds before 5:00 a.m. central time on Friday morning. Nothin' like that buzzer-beater! :D

.. few seconds before 5:00 a.m. central time on Friday morning. Nothin' like that buzzer-beater! :D

I would try and expedite asap. I had to restore my snapshot prior to 10586.:cry:

I'm done with rebuilding everytime MS has a new build, I am going the servicing/upgrade route via SCCM, which works great from a deployment perspective. My IIS server was the first "failure" - which really is on me for being too efficient. :rofl:

I am VERY curious to see if the same problems occur with the upgrade the 2nd time around.

Well, all you have to do is register once.
Thereafter you can install whichever version of Windows 10 you want between then and 2025. I am hoping for a quick registration and then I will wait to install the new build next week.

The question of rebuilding is unavoidable.

I will probably customize everything, then I will wait for the next major build which will reset some of the customizations.
Then I will make a comprehensive list of just what they are resetting.

This would allow for .reg files to be created and a list to be created so that new major builds can be dealt with better.
But there is no question about this being a losing battle for us.

The day of permanent customizations are over.
The only alternative is dual booting with Windows 8. So reboot into Windows 10 only when you need to for Direct X12.
But that will end in 2023.

So the only way out is to first identify what is being reset, then try to automate the process of re-customization.

I think that will be key to using Windows 10 after Windows 8 expires, for custom Windows users.

Well, all you have to do is register once.
Thereafter you can install whichever version of Windows 10 you want between then and 2025. I am hoping for a quick registration and then I will wait to install the new build next week.

I am avoiding this non-sense by the domain creation "enterprise" route. My rebuilds are done internally and prevent the cloud contact entirely.

Thank you.
I may be activating mine a few seconds before 5:00 a.m. central time on Friday morning. Nothin' like that buzzer-beater! :D

I wouldn't count on it. Their servers could get too busy and you'll lose out. Better off doing it right now.

I'm not rolling back. Might as well get used to winten's the good, the bad and the ugly so I can learn how to deal with the realities of our situation.

Good for you Audio!
You will like the many little improvements new Windows brings.

I speculated on that too but there is not a single shred of evidence that will happen.
I thought rather than cut it off, they would have an "extension," which would bring in procrastinators after they miss the boat, but there is nothing whatsoever to point to that.

Curious. This upgrade saved my IIS logfiles, I also have no remnants of errors in the eventlog either as I did prior. Very odd. Regardless, me happy. :D

Oh, does anyone know how to remove the most annoying popups on W10, which just started appearing =

"Press Ctl + Alt + R to record"
"Press Ctl + Alt + M to use your microphone"
"Press Ctl + Alt + Del for Cindy Crawford in 1995"

I digress. :rofl:

* [Get rid of Popup Balloons from the task bar:]

Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]
> User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > Double click on Turn off all balloon notifications > Enabled > OK >

For non-Pro version of Windows 10, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Right click on Advanced and create a new 32-bit DWORD named EnableBalloonTips
Double click on it and give it value of 0

I speculated on that too but there is not a single shred of evidence that will happen.
I thought rather than cut it off, they would have an "extension," which would bring in procrastinators after they miss the boat, but there is nothing whatsoever to point to that.

Agreed and agreed.

One thing that seemed apparent to me was that MS was a little schizophrenic about the whole thing. I believe some groups/people were for this and others were pushing back. Witness the various authentication hoops that we had to go through and the confusion about who was entitled. If that situation still exists the cutoff may or may not happen.

They moved the clock from 5am central tomorrow to 4am central the day after tomorrow Saturday the 30th of July.

Last edited:
I have an 8.0 key I was hoping to get upgraded, but I didn't have a mobo I wanted to tie to the key. Oh well.

Back