• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My X79 system and laptop will stay with Win 7 - I have no further interest in Win 10.

"Sorry about this. I know it's a bit silly."

"It's going to go 100% failure within 72 hours"

"..still within operational limits right now.."

"Yes and it will stay that way until it fails"

"..would you say we have a reliable 72 hours to failure.."

"Yes, that's a completely reliable figure" :popcorn:

hal-9000-eye.jpg

DaveB, can you
1. Make a drive image of 10 partition now, quickly install 7, activate, quickly install 10 over it, activate 10. Then simply reimage 10 as it was when you started?
2. Remove 10 drive. Install 7 on a spare drive, activate, quickly install 10 over it, activate 10. Then remove spare drive and reconnect current drive.

Either way, drive imaging is a good way to avoid complete reinstalls and get around this problem too.

- - - Updated - - -

So it's linked to the board and GPU now? Why would they do that?
This information is stored in the cloud with first activation. There is *nothing* you can do to change/remove initial information which is permanently associated with your system even after you sell your system.

Simple video card change should not require a Win7/8 reinstall to activate 10 again but it's interesting how BIOS update in combo with other things did require a Win7/8 reinstall for DaveB.

Either way, drive imaging is a good way to avoid complete reinstalls and get around this problem too.

Dave should not have to do this in the first place c6. I am avoiding W10 until next year, figure 12 months should get all the "bits in order".

I do like your workaround strategy tho, but just an annoyance. I am NOT looking forward to how this will impact server 2016. :screwy: (MS will say, "..that's what containers and WaaS is for..bleh)

Agreed he should not.
Well at least activate Win 10 while you can for free before July 2016... You can go back immediately but at least you would have the Windows 10 option some day for free.

My "free upgrade" Win 10 deactivated first after a BIOS update and then after I downgraded my video card from a 980 to a 960. Now MS Support tells me it can't be reactivated (they did after the BIOS upgade) and I have to blow everything away, reinstall Win 7 Pro and upgrade to W10 again. Not gonna do it. The system runs fine with the Activate Window message in the lower right corner of the screen.

My X79 system and laptop will stay with Win 7 - I have no further interest in Win 10.

So much for the free upgrade.:(

Full retail should be portable from system to system. If it's not, then it's been downgraded/converted to OEM by Microsoft.

thanks guys, powershell got rid of that crap!!!!!

so how is this activation being tied all the way down to the gpu going to effect my benching, each of my rigs has to be a work machine and bench rig, my little bee will only let me have one in the house at a time?

And the hits just keep on coming. My personal prejudices aside , I was a believer in the nuts and bolts advantages of W10. It's looking more and more like it actually sucks as an enthusiast OS. I guess I was foolish to believe they could have no regard for their customers in one aspect , and actually care about the end result in another. Imagine that.

OK , this was perhaps unduly harsh. I will reserve final judgement until they are closer to getting the bugs ironed out. I wouldn't realistically expect them to be able to anticipate every user's unique set up.

Last edited:
Save form entries does not work, when I upgraded to windows 10 edge and I checked all settings and tried everything. Is there anyone that has it working in windows 10 Edge?

A picture of it working in windows 10 explore 11. Form fill in windows 10 Edge.jpg

Last edited:
How can I prevent the Windows 10 Start menu from allowing tiles to stagger on different rows?

I don't want the staggering of icons, I think it is the dumbest feature they've added and it is far too easy to accidentally place a tile on a staggered row just when moving them around, and then it is pretty difficult to undo that once they stagger. It always takes me a few tries. Can someone show me what I'm doing wrong, how I can prevent the tiles from staggering, or better yet is there a way to permanently disable that ability, even if its a registry hack? I do not want any staggered tiles in the Start menu. I want it to look uniform and clean, as it does by default. Seriously the staggering ability is so ridiculously stupid...

"Sorry about this. I know it's a bit silly."

"It's going to go 100% failure within 72 hours"

"..still within operational limits right now.."

"Yes and it will stay that way until it fails"

"..would you say we have a reliable 72 hours to failure.."

"Yes, that's a completely reliable figure" :popcorn:

hal-9000-eye.jpg
hahaha...man oh man! That was a great reply. Bravo chawks2...bravo! And the Academy Award SHOULD go to...chawks2.

Win 10 is starting to be more and more annoying with each new update. In last ~2 weeks some colleagues reported issues with their computers. On 2 laptops USB drivers crashed after Win update ( can't turn it back ). Win 10 has the same issues as Win 8 with USB - basic driver is integrated in OS and there are no updates. You can reinstall it if manufacturer provides drivers. Problem is when computer is older and had upgrade from Win7 or Win8. In this case there is no way to fix it and have to reinstall all Win.

Next thing related to latest updates - Win is deleting some files or applications. This update was actually removed from win update as I heard. I thought it's not really happening as some people described but today I was testing something in PCMark 8 and after one of the restarts I've noticed that performance in games and some other tests is much lower ( 50-90% lower ). Later I noticed that Win deleted some Nvidia files :-/

There were also some other issues on other computers. Like SQL2014 is losing some config files after each bigger update. List is longer and at home you can live with it but at work it can make a lot of problems.

MS still haven't solved activation issues. Keys are signed to PC randomly. If you upgrade from Win7 or Win8 to 10 then is no guarantee it will work next time you wish to reinstall it. On group licenses or academic it's not working at all. Not to mention that if you have group license like 10+ Win7 keys at work then after upgrade MS is counting it as 1 single, desktop/home type license. I asked MS representative about it. They simply don't want to fix it.
Simply after upgrade make OS image as you may need it if anything fails.

Thanks for that.
I think that it's official now. Constantly updating drivers, especially video card drivers has never been a good idea for everyone since Windows 9x days.

There are so many machines where stability is key, they do not need a video card update and many other updates either. Microsoft giving us only two options, everything or nothing (not even security updates) resulted in a situation you describe.

I always thought there is no need to go with Windows 7 when Windows 8 can be modified. But the same does *not* hold for Windows 10.

You cannot modify Windows 10 to select which windows updates you want.
A choice between NO UPDATES and ALL UPDATES is not a choice. Installing every update under the sun on every machine is a reason to not update to Windows 10 for everyone....

This has now emerged as a real concern. Who wants to go to their parents/grandparents/computer illiterate cousin's house every time a mandatory update affects their machines...

There are *certainly* driver versions I do not want updated on certain machines in my house, let alone someone else's and if they count on me for support at 2 in the morning and they are 40 minutes away in one direction.... well who wants that? Keeping them on Windows 8 is the only solution...

Not just that but it looks like it tried to downgrade my amd video card drivers from the latest betas to WHQL drivers.

This has now emerged as a real concern. Who wants to go to their parents/grandparents/computer illiterate cousin's house every time a mandatory update affects their machines...

I will now clean the coffee spray from my monitor and keyboard. LOL

Win 10 is starting to be more and more annoying with each new update. In last ~2 weeks some colleagues reported issues with their computers. On 2 laptops USB drivers crashed after Win update ( can't turn it back ). Win 10 has the same issues as Win 8 with USB - basic driver is integrated in OS and there are no updates. You can reinstall it if manufacturer provides drivers. Problem is when computer is older and had upgrade from Win7 or Win8. In this case there is no way to fix it and have to reinstall all Win.

Next thing related to latest updates - Win is deleting some files or applications. This update was actually removed from win update as I heard. I thought it's not really happening as some people described but today I was testing something in PCMark 8 and after one of the restarts I've noticed that performance in games and some other tests is much lower ( 50-90% lower ). Later I noticed that Win deleted some Nvidia files :-/

There were also some other issues on other computers. Like SQL2014 is losing some config files after each bigger update. List is longer and at home you can live with it but at work it can make a lot of problems.

MS still haven't solved activation issues. Keys are signed to PC randomly. If you upgrade from Win7 or Win8 to 10 then is no guarantee it will work next time you wish to reinstall it. On group licenses or academic it's not working at all. Not to mention that if you have group license like 10+ Win7 keys at work then after upgrade MS is counting it as 1 single, desktop/home type license. I asked MS representative about it. They simply don't want to fix it.
Simply after upgrade make OS image as you may need it if anything fails.

The last cumulative update is supposed to have fixed that. If you wan to a fresh install of W10, you can get the .iso's direct from MS. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

My last issues have started after last update, I made it yesterday ... today I had to make OS recovery as performance has dropped and nothing was helping. OS had 3 days - I made upgrade from Win 8.1 downloading all from MS.
PCMark 8 score after updates ~700 marks in home/creative conventional presets , after recovery and fresh nvidia driver install ( I made nothing else ) ~3000 marks.

I had performance issues related to my ssd. I had to download the lateset drivers from Intel.

I Have a PC that the upgraded windows 10 is gone my HDD died. I have been reading you can't or can do a clean install, what is the outcome now?

Last edited:
Back