• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Should I do a quick install then upgrade on my rampage formula? That's the best mobo I have that I could upgrade.

You can upgrade to keep or you can upgrade just to register in the cloud.
Upgrading if only to extend Windows updates to 2025 is a very valid reason.

The quickest way is to disconnected EVERYTHING then upgrade on a blank hard drive, then just nuke the drive and reconnect everything and go about your Win7/8 business.

If updating to keep, then keep it all in and just do it.

Was up til about 1AM last night trying to get my 8.1 machine to upgrade via the link I posted a few pages back (using a windows to go instance). Unfortunately I couldn't get it running on my hp stream mini. So looks like I missed out. If I was going to do a full upgrade of Windows I needed a new SSD (as the one that came with it is only 32GB)

Minimum spec is 20 GB for x64, 16GB for x86. That's what I used for my VMs and they only used a little over half of it for a clean install. Don't know what the damage is with an existing well used update. That old windows folder plus apps is going to be too much for 32GB most likely.

Well you still have time Janus67, as I posted earlier, they moved the clock up by 23 hours, expiration time is now 4am Central.

I went inside BIOS on a brand new setup and just because you can check for the latest BIOS version inside BIOS that doesn't mean you have internet inside Windows which still may needed a manual motherboard LAN driver to connect.

I was blissfully unaware of this so I hat to offline phone activate my Windows 8 retail which I wanted to install first.

By the way on two identical laptops, one one I first removed Antivirus and Firewall software and had no problems, on another I left them and UAC is not allowing me access to storage drive folders.

Uninstall all antivirus and firewall software before upgrading to 10 is my takeaway.
Reinstall them manually.

Thanks for the info guys, I managed to get a clean install of 10 done with activation today during my lunch break!

Hey all my wife has a lot of ms office DOC's she had free MS office 1010 on her laptop will she still be able to open them in win10 without paying for anything

You will only be able to read the documents. You will not be able to create or edit without buying Office 365.

tried that Audioaficionado she thinks I am crazy for try something off the beaten path but will keep that in mind if upgrade wine's effed up

edit-she tried LibreOffice no good looks like i am in the dog house her laptop is upgrading now

edit-:D scotty I am playing we all know about other software

Last edited:
Woe, here we go.

Even before any of us heard this we speculated on this in this very thread...
People get security updates for Windows XP by making their machines be point of sale machines so I think this may be similar.

How do you clean out the registry these days on windows 10 after uninstalling a program or does windows do a good job now, is it the same like all the other version of windows?

Back