• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
On this forum, no one has ever been able to demonstrate a measurable increase in performance on modern computers, using the before and after figures.

On the other hand, stories of Windows OS disasters after blindly removing registry entries are plentiful.

Refer to : "back in the day", before the i*/FX/SSD. Nowadays the SSD's are so fast that it makes zero difference if the registry is fragmented or not, it really serves only to clean up leftover crap. As i stated before, i had zero issues with them so far, i keep using them out of habit i guess.

Think about it this way, i prefer wasting 5s cleaning a registry every week and having the system stable for months (8 was my top) then spending 20m re-imaging the OS and then another hour re-installing programs/backups every month like i see many do (you can call it being lazy if you want to, its all good) :p

I am talking about registry entry removal and how no one ever has been able to measure registry entry removal aka 'cleaning' produced measurable effects but numerous posts here had reports of the OS being borked after registry entries were removed. So it's a good idea to warn people to not allow any program to blindly REMOVE reg entries.

Refer to : "back in the day", before the i*/FX/SSD. Nowadays the SSD's are so fast that it makes zero difference if the registry is fragmented or not, it really serves only to clean up leftover crap. As i stated before, i had zero issues with them so far, i keep using them out of habit i guess.

Think about it this way, i prefer wasting 5s cleaning a registry every week and having the system stable for months (8 was my top) then spending 20m re-imaging the OS and then another hour re-installing programs/backups every month like i see many do (you can call it being lazy if you want to, its all good) :p
I don't have to reinstall anything. Perhaps a stray program or two, but, 99% is there.

You shouldnt really run those defrags that frequently I read anyway.. at least, its not needed, particularly if you dont install a lot of programs.

Ah but I did install a lot of programs (didn't have a lot of backup options till I hit Win7) and defrag should be run at least once a week (or used to) on spinners. As I said and kinda hope I don't have to repeat again "back in the day" a regclean gave a nice speed boost and Windows ran smoother for a little more time. Now meh for hardware reasons. The fact that I have to point out this is my opinion and personal experience (and that of family/friends) is also meh.

Imagine that you have several games that use a joined regkey, or for example use a program like dotnet2.0 and you regclean and it removes the key and all associations to said key/program (because supposedly doesn't exist in your HDD anymore), Ofc the games are gonna complain. They might stop working altogether. Queue complains. The bonus side of this is that very few programs/games actually caused this and if they did was usually a bug or bad programming on the regclean side.

Ah but I did install a lot of programs (didn't have a lot of backup options till I hit Win7) and defrag should be run at least once a week (or used to) on spinners. As I said and kinda hope I don't have to repeat again "back in the day" a regclean gave a nice speed boost and Windows ran smoother for a little more time. Now meh for hardware reasons. The fact that I have to point out this is my opinion and personal experience (and that of family/friends) is also meh
:sly:

Not sure anyone was trying to take anything away from it. I read you are supposed to do it monthly unless you install/remove a lot of programs. So I shared that. Nothing more. I don't and won't use them. :cool:

I use Perfect Disk defragger, but I only defrag every few months at most. I can't imagine thrashing your disks so much that you would require weekly defragging. I never defrag my SSD, just my spinners.

I use Perfect Disk defragger, but I only defrag every few months at most. I can't imagine thrashing your disks so much that you would require weekly defragging. I never defrag my SSD, just my spinners.
Never should either :)

Monthly defragging is good, but even then I don't even defrag my server that often.

So? Who's ready for the new build this Tuesday?

In two days, with the release of a new major mandatory Win 10 build, group policy updates will be taken out from Windows 10 Pro, so we will no linger be able to modify Windows 10 using the group policy editor (!!)

WOW. :shock: This is a major development for the consumer! Thanks C6 for keeping us informed!

Always a pleasure to see someone post what they specifically don't like, maybe it can be enabled/fixed rather than endless complaining about default settings of Windows 10.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Well, I put the program shortcut in both locations and it still won't run on startup. Silly OS, can't even run programs on startup.

Last edited:
As for the OS lock down that seems to be happening, we'll just have to see how that impacts us. I'm thinking of rolling back to win7 and then doing a clean install of the new build on a new SSD to see what it's like. As workarounds and fixes become available, I'll apply them and find out for myself if winten is usible for my purposes.

Wonder what prompted them to make a decision like this ? More sales/upgrades to Pro then other versions ?

I predict a "enthusiast OS" somewhere in the future. There are enthusiast chips and enthusiast boards... Why not? Either that or the features you want will become "unlockable" with your wallet.

And on a sympathetic note for M$, what Audioaficionado says is true as well I think. The who damned Win10 freebie seems aimed at average to less than average users, power users be damned. They aren't making any friends in power users by locking them out though. As has been pointed out several times already, just making some of these things available by jumping through hoops would appease both sides. M$ would be able to cater to the new guys and the old power users at once. Guess that's not an interesting idea to them though. To be fair the market they are targeting is much larger and easier to make a few bucks from

Ok so now the big question would be do 3rd party anti-M$spy still work with the lockout in effect.

Ok so now the big question would be do 3rd party anti-M$spy still work with the lockout in effect.

Well won't know until the update hits but my guess is no. Most of those third party softwares just provide a script and a button for average users to do what power users can already do from command line. If they are locking out power users then it is likely their tools will break as well. I'm sure these third party programs will pop back up in the future as "pay for" workarounds that the company licenses from M$ or something stupid like that

I doubt it's anti power user, but keeping it dumbed down so even a caveman could use it. Pro version ain't what it used to mean. Hackers will find exploits and power users will use them until they get closed. If you want a fully customizable OS, there's always Linux.

Cutting functionality in Pro (gpedit) seems AIMED at power users. Cavemen rarely find their way into Gpedit (I think)

Spybot seems to work mostly through registry keys so here's to hoping it holds...

I predict a "enthusiast OS" somewhere in the future. There are enthusiast chips and enthusiast boards... Why not?

The desktop/workstation operating system is dying. There is no hope for resurrection. Jarvis? AI?

"..it's over Prime. NEEVVVVEERRRRR.." :D

Back