• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Kenrou, I said "someone" when speaking of the speculative nature of some posts. There are a lot of people in the thread who did it once or twice and a few who do it a lot.

When the posts are informative in nature and presenting confirmed facts, whether positive or negative, please share. Those posts are what make this thread worthwhile.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to throw this out there on the off chance that someone has had experience with these issues. :bang head

The rapidly approaching 7/29 date has me scrambling to get my 10240's off and move towards 10586 (1511). *sigh* I guess this is one of the hardships when wanting to isolate the 10240 version and procrastinating the updates.

Lutawicasa's post about the direct number had me saying, "..transfer to a representative.." more than I wanted to, three phone calls routed to the wrong place, finally got me the answer I wanted. I *REQUIRE* build 1511 to leverage my old product codes and has caused an incredible tailspin in my lab environment.

SCCM 1602 has some great features and the integration with WSUS has been done very well FOR UPDATES. Now enter the world of Microsoft "Upgrades" for W10, core build versions bleh, whatever you want to call them. First, wrecked my WSUS db, but the wonderful world of virtualization saved me. Managed to finally get the upgrades working to a point where I can deploy them, BUT THEY WONT DEPLOY! Keep getting error 8007007E.

Reading about this in more detail, there are posts about drive partitions, hotfixes (more destruction of the WSUS DB), and ESD decryption / MIME types. OMG, it's almost as bad as the dentist.

Has anyone successfully deployed Microsoft W10 "Upgrades" (servicing) in their SCCM/WSUS environment? I keep hitting wall after wall and if anyone out there could share any information/experiences it would be greatly appreciated. :salute: I am confident I will have a great "How To" page once I get over this damn hurdle!

How the Europeans successfully sued Microsoft over including internet Explorer with Windows years ago, and virtually nothing happened about the inclusion of FAR MORE intrusive elements in Windows 10 is beyond puzzling. I expected different versions at launch for this reason, but a whole year in and no legal challenges to speak of until now?

But anyway, to the person talking about builds, home users with single machines would really just want to disconnect *everything* quick install any Windows 10, activate it once, get into the registration system on the cloud for free and then take it easy between now and 2025 to really install Windows 10 however they want... Does anyone have a link to some sort of an activation counter, I would like to see how many activation attempts hit the servers on the last day!

Last edited:
Is there a latest version .iso or do we still install that tired old RTM .iso Microsoft had to download last year?

Install any way you can then wait for a major new Windows 10 build that has just been finished or is about to be finished and will be available in about 8 days to the general public. In about one week that build will replace whatever you install today so from that point of view it doesn't matter.

Bigger question is what build is up on MSDN and TechNET today?

Could anyone with access post when the new version of Windows 10 is uploaded there since it should be there before general public gets it on August 2.

It goes without saying, people who are looking to get a free upgrade must install ANY version of Windows 10 *and activate it* before then since this new major Windows 10 build will be released just after the free upgrade offer ends...

The thing many (most) people don't know about is: do not go modifying Windows 10 before this new build comes out for it is *sure* to reset any major modifications you make to Windows 10 settings... this does not apply to minor settings choices, just major things like if you go anywhere near Windows 10 regsitry for example ;).

Why all the hassle of that media creation tool. What tools they are. So I'm DLing the .isos (thanx) and creating a usb installer with that tool :rolleyes:

So I'm converting or clean installing five of my eight win7 COAs. Looks like I'll have a few win7 COAs left over.

You would want to register all your Windows 7 activation keys on the cloud because when Windows 7 expires in 2020, there will be no more updates for it and at that point in 2020 you could install Windows 10 which will work until 2025 for free thanks to being activated today, even if not subsequently reinstalled and used before 2020.

(At least) five years of using Windows for free will be a big deal.

How do you register the win7 COAs without installing them on a machine? It's the machine that is registered in the cloud, yes?

I install any version of Windows 10 on all my Windows 8 laptops.
Activate.
Then for good measure I take screen shots for each laptop, labeling them properly and I run one of those programs to extract Windows 10 keys and take screenshots of those too.

I then nuke the entire hard drive, and nuke the partition table on the hard drive.

I then reimage Windows 8 hidden partitions and Windows 8 drive partition. The end.

But come 2023, Windows 8 will expire and I will install the 2023 year build of Windows 10 on them and they will get 2.5 more years of free updates on them because of what I did today... but really who knows where technology will be in six or seven years.

In case of Windows 7 however, the expiration date is in 2020, "just" 3.5 years away... So if I had Windows 7 licenses, I would be rushing to get all those activated on the cloud... because you would get more than 5 extra years out of them if you do.

I just want the = win7 > winten COA so I can install them on any machine I want in the future. Full version should allow this.

Next will I will test that on my personal system using Windows 8.
It should work!

I've converted two so far. Winten has a different 25 digit key than win7 had. Hopefully this key will work for installing winten pro to another computer like the win7 pro did.

Update: Ok so the magical jellybean shows both have the same key. So how's this going to work if I move to another PC later this year and want to move my license and do a clean install of my winten pro full version?

Last edited:
I would be more comfortable if there was an official FAQ for this and no one has ever provided one whoever I asked, wherever I asked... but

We are registering a valid Windows 7/8 in the sky for a certain machine.
Yes that machine will have the same Windows 10 key, but the initial Windows 7/8 RETAIL key has also been registered in the sky and should allow identical registration behavior for Windows 10 for us.

In other words, you and I do not have OEM keys. We can install Windows 7/8 and activate them. We can then go in and shred the motherboard/CPU etc and put new ones in, and they would be registered too, with understanding that previous hardware is no more.

Likewise, equivalent Windows 10 keys should allow for the same behavior.
We should be able to install Windows 10 on any motherboard we want in the future.
What you did is register DIFFERENT Windows 7 keys in the sky. Sure only one board was used but in the sky, there should be a record that our valid Windows 7/8 keys are now Windows 10 keys, NON OEM Windows 10 keys.

There is *nothing* you and I can do other than register our keys for Windows 10 on any motherboard at this point and take screen shots, that is the only kind of proof I can think of when it comes to having an option in the future to use Windows 10 for free.

Last edited:
I don't have enough motherboards to use up all my COAs. So I think I'll just build a few VMs with some slight variations of RAM and HD size and install win7, update to SP1 and then convert to winten. that's the only way I can do it within the time constraints. As I build new systems and install winten, I'll have to call Microsoft and activate over the phone. All my COAs are full retail versions that can be installed on a successive motherboard unlike the OEM versions.

You are not really supposed to have to go through any extra steps other than entering different Windows 7/8 keys when activating Windows 10 on ANY system.
Now most people have OEM keys and that's a whole different story.
But retail, non-oem keys should simply transfer to retail Windows 10 keys, and should be reinstallable, if that's a word, in the future.

So I tried a key finder and it returned a generic key that is useless for subsequent installation/activation purposes. So even if you upgraded from a full version OS, your installation is tied to the machine you installed it to. Perhaps you can sort it out by calling up Microsoft and explaining you want to move your OS to a new machine. Anyway this has all been discussed here already.

winten activation.jpg

I'm pretty sure if I install all my spare copies in VMs and then upgrade, it might be more hassle than it's worth if I try and port them to a physical machine in the future.

Back