• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea but that's just email marketing.

One thing about ads though, Classic Shell on Windows 10 not only gives you the option to have any kind of Start Menu you choose but it also has no ads.
So there is a way to just never get ads under Win 10 and of course there is a way to disable forced Windows 10 upgrade nags.

And just for the record once again, End Of Updates for Windows 10 (ten) is 2025 and for Windows 8 it's 2023.
We still don't know what will happen to Windows 10 licenses in 2025, Microsoft has officially listed End Of Life date for current Windows 10, where is a page that is current and official that says that you can get updates for Windows 10 past 2025?
I've heard assumptions and we all think we heard that Windows 10 is forever but there is an official page that lists Win 10 end date.

We still don't know what will happen to Windows 10 licenses in 2025, Microsoft has officially listed End Of Life date for current Windows 10, where is a page that is current and official that says that you can get updates for Windows 10 past 2025?
I've heard assumptions and we all think we heard that Windows 10 is forever but there is an official page that lists Win 10 end date.

How can we even know what an OS is going to do in the next 10 years? It seems lofty for MS to believe WaaS will be this successful, but innovation is born through these ideas. I think they abandon the desktop OS model halfway through the life cycle. (as there will be no more desktops lol :beer:)

How can we even know what an OS is going to do in the next 10 years? It seems lofty for MS to believe WaaS will be this successful, but innovation is born through these ideas. I think they abandon the desktop OS model halfway through the life cycle. (as there will be no more desktops lol :beer:)

There will be at least one. :)

That depends on how many partitions you already had on there, I had GPT before and after, because so many partitions are now used by Microsoft even under Windows 8...

There is an easy way to get rid of all those "extra" partitions. I wrote up a guide back in the Vista days, just copy the \boot off the hidden partition and onto your system drive. Use bcedit to reconfigure and viola, no more extra partitions. (or just format the drive prior to build etc - u know ;)) However, be careful you dont harm your 3rd party rescue partition.

As for taking the image prior, I like your strategy. :thup:

Yea, personally I imaged the factory partition onto DVDs and external Hard Drives and then I nuked it since I use custom images anyway.

But let's talk about that, what is the advantage of touching those relatively small factory partitions (not the big image partition - the ones that are 100MB-400MB)?

But let's talk about that, what is the advantage of touching those relatively small factory partitions (not the big image partition - the ones that are 100MB-400MB)?

http://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/hdg-explains-what-is-the-system-reserved-partition/ said:
So what is all this for exactly? The partition has two main functions. First, it stores the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database. The second thing it does is store the startup files needed by BitLocker Drive Encryption. If you end up using BitLocker to encrypt your entire hard drive, you don’t have to repartition your system to enable it. If you don’t plan on ever using BitLocker, then that means you’ll never need this special partition.

AND, c6... to harp on a point you have brought up many times, How does Microsoft know what YOU want? :D

Thank you for the BitLocker explanation. Microsoft said they would listen to people "this time" after Win10 came out.
To their credit, recently they followed through when they killed WiFi Sense which the majority of people hated.

What I want is to have ALL the things I hate as an option to turn ON.
That's it.
I want all the new bright/stupid ideas Microsoft comes up with... as an option to turn ON.

That is a simple and permanent solution to all new Microsoft radical ideas that mess with people.
If Windows 8.0 had a simple button to Turn Metro ON instead of it being ON by default -- Windows 8 adoption would have be higher by a triple digit percentage.

Makes you wonder why M$ tries to force ideas instead of giving them as optional...

It's all about unifying all OS into one group to reduce overhead maintenance expenses. Power users are just too small of a niche to concern themselves with. We'll always figure out a way around issues eventually without much input from MS.

It's all about unifying all OS into one group to reduce overhead maintenance expenses. Power users are just too small of a niche to concern themselves with. We'll always figure out a way around issues eventually without much input from MS.

If they would stop trying so hard to prevent that, we wouldn't be complaining so much. While 'trust' should never replace common sense, it isn't even on the menu with M$ anymore.

I would address a legitimate point about most users not tweaking options by clarifying that this is not about all options but only about something major/radical.
Metro was both major and radical.
There should have been a button to switch that OFF/ON even if Metro was default.
People would not have gone back to the store to exchange their new Laptops/Desktops for older inferior ones with Windows 7 on them, after they saw the horror that was Metro for most (more than 50%) of them.

Microsoft ended up ditching Metro, They wouldn't have had to if ON/OFF switch was there, even if Metro was default.

I would address a legitimate point about most users not tweaking options by clarifying that this is not about all options but only about something major/radical.
Metro was both major and radical.
There should have been a button to switch that OFF/ON even if Metro was default.
People would not have gone back to the store to exchange their new Laptops/Desktops for older inferior ones with Windows 7 on them, after they saw the horror that was Metro for most (more than 50%) of them.

Microsoft ended up ditching Metro, They wouldn't have had to if ON/OFF switch was there, even if Metro was default.

I agree with that, but knowing how lazy the average user is, it would have to be an OOBE screen to select that you can't next-next-next through to try to prevent that from happening.

I agree with that, but knowing how lazy the average user is, it would have to be an OOBE screen to select that you can't next-next-next through to try to prevent that from happening.
The average user could not figure out how to use Metro. I check steam survey, only vary few users use windows 8.1

Windows 10 64 bit

38.18%

+1.36%

Windows 7 64 bit

32.53%

-0.81%

Windows 8.1 64 bit

11.89%

-0.97%

If they would stop trying so hard to prevent that, we wouldn't be complaining so much. While 'trust' should never replace common sense, it isn't even on the menu with M$ anymore.

I am with AaF, there is no point to cater to the power user, nothing to gain. #RIPDesktop

Was Metro a Balmer directive? Regardless, we always complain :p

The average user could not figure out how to use Metro.

It's not that they didn't know how to use it, it's simply that they didn't like it. People are too used to a classic desktop, if M$ had done a hybrid like W10 in the 1st place I think we would've stuck with it. + Metro was designed mainly for touch screens which the vast majority of users don't have :(

It's not that they didn't know how to use it, it's simply that they didn't like it. People are too used to a classic desktop, if M$ had done a hybrid like W10 in the 1st place I think we would've stuck with it. + Metro was designed mainly for touch screens which the vast majority of users don't have :(
I had to play around with Metro and lookup how to use it on the web my self, I don't know how to use metro anymore I forgot. Most people don't have the time to waste with no instruction, you don't need instructions for windows 7 or 10 just click on the e for internet or start menu and every thing is in windows like apple and windows 7 or 10.

The reason I say a lot of people don't know how to use metro is because people are not as smart as you and other people and can't remember how to navigate or what to do, so I use to get a lot of phone call on how to use Metro. Most people don't even know what Metro is, when you deal with the general public it is a hole different game.

The average user could not figure out how to use Metro. I check steam survey, only vary few users use windows 8.1

Windows 10 64 bit

38.18%

+1.36%

Windows 7 64 bit

32.53%

-0.81%

Windows 8.1 64 bit

11.89%

-0.97%

Last edited:
Aren't you underestimating the average consumer ? my 82yo grandfather figured it out after a couple days and he had only used WinXP before. Takes a tad of patience like everything else, but very doable :confused:

Back