• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thank you kindly.
To avoid problems, I think my strategy for the new system will be to quickly fresh install my Windows 8 Pro Retail then activate it.
Then nuke it and quickly fresh install Windows 10 - which should then activate, registering the system in Microsoft's sky cloud forever.
Then I will nuke Windows 10, and wait for the August 2 new build - to fresh install it and start from there.

Too many changes take place when they switch to a major new Widows 10 build if, that's if, you customize your Windows.
New builds reset and sweep those Windows customizations away to the extent that I would probably need a list to see which ones are reset.
But I'll probably make that list with a future follow up to the August 2 Anniversary build.

First three patches relate to Windows 10 transition.
It is crucial not to install these for anyone wanting to stay on Windows 7/8, because while not all of them have the same effect, this is what's at stake if you do install them:

Win10Interrupt.png

Win10Interrupt2.jpg

Thank god I have all my friend's & family's Win 7/8 automatic updates turned off, because if anything like that showed up on ANY of their computers, it's a 40 min drive up, then time spent listening to their side stories, then 40 min drive back, assuming there's no traffic. I just spent 30 minutes on the phone *THIS MORNING* because one icon wasn't where it "always is" - a full on operating system upgrade would take days and nights of my time, I would get phone calls in the middle of the night.

I mean if I installed Windows 10 with its mandatory updates on their computers, the only thing I would have to look forward to thereafter would be the sweet release of death.
That's how it is in the real world of computer illiterate friends & family, and I envy anyone who doesn't have this problem.

I just spent 30 minutes on the phone *THIS MORNING* because one icon wasn't where it "always is" - a full on operating system upgrade would take days and nights of my time, I would get phone calls in the middle of the night.

Feel your pain brother. I stopped recommending Microsoft to all friends and family members circa 2011. (Thx Mint + Apple) It is almost like Braveheart, "..freeeeeeeeeeeeeedommmm.." :D

I do overall like W10, but still would not recommend it to any friend or family member. It needs to be more "home" friendly and just work without fretting about updates or icons or shortcuts or privacy or security or driver settings being removed or mysterious unexplained behavior.:rolleyes:

"That cost will be $7 per user per month but the good news is it only applies to enterprises, for now."

How did we not see this coming :rofl:

I don't think Microsoft would charge a monthly fee to general users, we have 4 pc's in the house that would be expensive., people would just use there smart phones.

I don't think Microsoft would charge a monthly fee to general users, we have 4 pc's in the house that would be expensive., people would just use there smart phones.

Actually I think they are going to go to a yearly sub for consumers. While this is Forbes I really didnt think they were your average 'rag'. lol

Z

The good news is Microsoft has gone on record to say it is not being passed down to consumers at this stage: “This new subscription model is not associated with our current upgrade offering or applicable to the Windows 10 consumer edition,” a Microsoft spokesperson told PC World.

Here's the deal.
If you can, and have not registered your machine for free Windows 10, you should do so in the next couple of weeks while you still can.

Thereafter you can go back and continue using your
• Windows 7 until January 14, 2020
• Windows 8 until January 10, 2023

After those dates you can continue using Windows 7/8 without security updates

OR

at that time, use your Windows 10 free license you registered now and which will remain in the sky and remember your machine, assuming you want to use that machine still...

and so you can continue getting free security updates under Windows 10 until October 14, 2025.
Officially for now, Windows 10 free updates will not expire before that date.

NO ONE KNOWS, not even Microsoft, what will happen to Windows itself, Windows versions, or Windows licensing after that date...

The only thing we know is that you are GUARANTEED free Windows security updates until these dates:

• Windows 7 until January 14, 2020
• Windows 8 until January 10, 2023
• Windows 10 until October 14, 2025.

You will not be charged any money for Windows 10 before October 14, 2025, that's two+ years after Windows 8 reaches End Of Life.
So if you have Windows 8, getting that free license today gives you those 2+ years between 2023 (when Windows 8 expires) and 2025.

Anything different will not apply to whoever gets their free Windows 10 license.
We don't know what, if anything different will happen down the road but

IF you get your free Windows 10 license in the next couple of weeks,
you are guaranteed free Windows security updates until October 14, 2025.

Windows10.png

The good news is Microsoft has gone on record to say it is not being passed down to consumers at this stage

"at this stage" - pretty much says it all no ? Let's hope they don't change their minds or it's gonna be a run for older versions regardless of expiration date (or Linux)...

That was the publication saying that. I posted what was QUOTED by MS.

Pretty clear this article has a bias as well. :)

Last edited:
Back