• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I notice the reference to Windows Store Applications under the General Tab and task description. This update would then only apply to selected Apps that are being utilized, or checked 'On' or 'Yes' in the setup for Updates.

Your screenshot pertains to Windows Store.
APPS from Windows Store.

That is different from what I have about Windows Updates?
I think it is completely separate and I think I need to add that to my instructions.

Start > File Explorer > [wait for it to show up, then] Right click on This PC > Properties > Advanced system settings > Hardware TAB > Device Installation Settings > SELECT: No, let me choose what to > Never install driver software from Windows Update. UNCHECK everything here. > Save changes > OK.

Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Manage Wi-Fi settings > Set as Metered Connection: ON [This setting is only available for Wi-Fi and not Ethernet cable connections.]

[The following is not available on Windows 10 Home edition] Start > gpedit.msc >
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Enabled > [drop-down menu]: 2 - Notify for download and notify for install > OK

Start > Settings > Update & security > Advanced options > Choose how updates are delivered: Notify to schedule restart.
Choose how updates are delivered > OFF

Disable Wi-Fi Sense by appending _optout to the name of your network in your router settings in order to prevent automatic access to everyone in your address book, etc.:
Change NetworkName to NetworkName_optout

Your screenshot pertains to Windows Store.
APPS from Windows Store.

That is different from what I have about Windows Updates?
I think it is completely separate and I think I need to add that to my instructions.

I'm assuming you are talking about my screenshot. (; My comment wasnt about Windows Update and/or policies surrounding them, I believe we have those covered well in this thread. I was just pointing out "sih" and a TON of other "maintenance" tasks are being purported through Task Scheduler and it deserves a look.

Many have commented about how they believe they are shutting them off and they "appear" to be re-enabled even after making the necessary changes. I believe MS is doing this through the Task Scheduler and resetting some key parts of how Windows Updates are delivered. "Server Initiated Healing" - read the description on the "sih" & "sihboot" tasks. :shock:

Very interesting. Thank you for pointing that out. We will find out soon if any resets are done to what I posted above.
A way will be found to block any resets if they exist, in that I am sure.

This is as clear as when Metro first came out. There was no question Metro was ever going to stand as a mandatory default UI without someone figuring out how to block it.

Critical updates are one thing but people can't have their parents and grandparents calling them in the middle of the day to fix the computer because their email-only computer crashed on account of Microsoft deciding that a video card driver update is a mandatory immediate install in order to get 2 fps faster on a game our grandparents never play and never will.

Hardware driver updates are not critical, hardware driver updates are a threat to stability and we can't have those be installing willy-nilly on our family's computers when we are not there to deal with the inevitable problems that hardware driver updates bring. There are many posts on this forum and others about computers FUBARed after a Windows Update installed an unnecessary hardware update.

Alright, so I had to dig more, and I'm not sure why. Many of you will say this is not a big deal, it is stated in the EULA etc. I noticed an area called "Feedback and Diagnostic" data in the Privacy area, do not remember it being there, but it must have.

W10.PRIVACY.GPO.01.png

ANYWAY, I changed some settings on my W10 Enterprise box to just "Basic" closed it out and it REFUSES to stay on this option!! I figured it may be a GPO, so hunting rabbits time. I went through more GPOs, (have no idea why I do these things in the wee hours of EST) and found the following information (the wording is amusing) =

W10.PRIVACY.GPO.02.png

I guess Enterprises (corporations) are entitled to more privacy than consumer Joe. :rolleyes:

W10.PRIVACY.GPO.03.png

MS is now in the experimentation of user behavior business. WOW.

W10.PRIVACY.GPO.04.png

Let's test to see if the "Enterprise" VIP treatment of not sending data works...=> RSOP.

W10.PRIVACY.GPO.05.png

VIOLA!! :grouphug:

Now I know those MS contractors, employees, and interns can no longer receive data from my VM. Thank goodness. I'll find the feedback option another time, I'm tired lol zzz

W10.PRIVACY.GPO.06.png

I am on Windows 10 Pro and am right now at this moment doing this.

It stayed on on Never for me but there was a sequence of events that led me there.
I have to finish doing this over the next couple of days and will post my entire write up.
Never can be set!

I am concerned that the items in your screenshot about the Task Scheduler above might affect the ability to update.

I believe that what I posted above should disable automatic updates and allow us to update whenever we want to.

I believe that in addition to what I didn't post (yet) that Windows Store App automatic updates can be disabled in the Windows Store settings.

Those would be the routes to go for now - I would not mess with the Task Scheduler.

At this time, I doubt that the already posted automatic update disabling methods will be affected unless a future service pack resets settings much like Windows 8.1 did actually reset Windows 8.0 settings.

Feel free to ask anything you want without reading the thread.

Yes the entire topic centers on disabling AUTOMATIC updates, that's what everyone everywhere ever talked about. The "when". That can be done. No automatic updates.
But disabling the update service disables Windows Updates.

Of course most of us want Windows Updates. Critical Updates.
Disabling the entire update system has nothing to do with wanting to refuse just the non-critical/optional/hardware updates. And that's the goal, not disabling critical updates. We want to click on the Windows Update button and be able to choose to accept/refuse non-critical/optional/hardware updates. That cannot be done under any circumstances, using any hack I read about.

i'm not talking about disabline automatic update I am talking about disabling it at service level in computer management, atleast until a fix is found to only install what you want.
its kind of a double edged sword, get updates that may kill things or not get any updates some of which could be very beneficial.

frankly I would rather have none but I also don't do a whole lot on my computer that would require it to be super secure, no personal info is saved except for game saves pretty much

It stayed on on Never for me but there was a sequence of events that led me there.
Never can be set!

To clarify, my concern was with, "Diagnostic and usage data". Upon changing this to "Basic" from "Enhanced", it WOULD NOT save this option UNTIL I deployed a GPO from the domain.

was looking to see if there were any new networking tweaks and I came across this

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875...-the-best-tips-tricks-and-tweaks.html#slide13
Code:
GodMode
The legendary GodMode, a hidden staple for Windows power users, makes its return in Windows 10. As before, activating it unveils a power user menu that brings together all of your system’s far-flung settings and configuration options into a single location. Just create a new folder and rename it to following:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Don’t forget the period after “GodMode”, and you can rename the “GodMode” portion whatever you’d like if you want another name for the folder.

apparently "god mode" is back and I thought some one might find it handy so I am posting it

What extra access does it give? I don't see a single thing I wouldn't normally be able to do.

I think its more of an ease of access thing more than any thing.
kinda more in the way the old power tools application would just make it easier to get to and change settings that you could do already but had to dig for

'God Mode'

What extra access does it give? I don't see a single thing I wouldn't normally be able to do.

I think its more of an ease of access thing more than any thing.
kinda more in the way the old power tools application would just make it easier to get to and change settings that you could do already but had to dig for

It's just a modern version of 'Power Tools'. It's nice for us power users to save time. I imagine key stroke shortcuts would be even faster, but then you'd have to memorize them. Wouldn't want this available as default for an average user as they might screw their system up.

But you can just type the word in from the Control Panel. I don't get it.

EDIT: Heck, I can do that from the start menu, so it is far less clicks than using that folder. I don't even take my hands off the keyboard. Win key > "iscsi" > enter.

After Winderz update rejected my efforts to update the netbook (posts #95-101) failed due to "Enterprise Edition" isn't upgradeable, I attempted to upgrade Winderz 7 Starter to Winderz 7 Pro with one of my keys. Then it got interesting. Winderz upgrade popped open a winder asking if I wanted to upgrade to WinTen. Rather than get all "I'm mad so No, there, showed you", I affirmed my desire for Mo Ten. It's at 76% and counting.

Weird happy ending.

But you can just type the word in from the Control Panel. I don't get it.

EDIT: Heck, I can do that from the start menu, so it is far less clicks than using that folder. I don't even take my hands off the keyboard. Win key > "iscsi" > enter.

With God mode you wouldn't touch the keyboard getting to the settings after creating the folder

After Winderz update rejected my efforts to update the netbook (posts #95-101) failed due to "Enterprise Edition" isn't upgradeable, I attempted to upgrade Winderz 7 Starter to Winderz 7 Pro with one of my keys. Then it got interesting. Winderz upgrade popped open a winder asking if I wanted to upgrade to WinTen. Rather than get all "I'm mad so No, there, showed you", I affirmed my desire for Mo Ten. It's at 76% and counting.

Weird happy ending.

Once it's activated, you should be out of the woods.

Once it's activated, you should be out of the woods.

Yes, it is now activated and operational. My thoughts are to utilize the netbook as a sort of testbed for WinTen, i.e., I'll let most of the apps run, nullifying only what I deem to be the most egregious, and see what MS has done with the OS. I'm very curious about of few of the apps and, shy of the privacy concerns, am willing to sacrifice my lowly netbook to the effort. It has virtually nothing about ME on it.

Back