• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The US Navy is sticking to Windows XP, my office still uses XP and Win 7 Enterprise with no mention of upgrading to anything anytime soon. But yeah someday these will definitely need to be upgraded.

I knew about the performance issues with SMB1, but had NO IDEA the security issues inherent. TeknoBug, you should most certainly watch the video on this article and bring it to the attention of higher ups regarding your Windows XP / 2003 enviro.

I urge all of you to watch this as well, just wish they had better camera work, sheesh MS!

well, im not sure what happened, but my google chrome no longer works on win10 pro x64
crashes as soon as i open it.
guess im using firefox now.

That is a known issue...

however, mine now works with the latest Windows or Chrome (not sure which did it).

Not even some of the newer programs can run on on .NET 4.6, anything we bought earlier that ran on .NET 3.5 (and with it .NET 2.0 and 3.0) cannot run on Windows 10 out of the box. You need to wait for the Windows 10 to download that long update... or

As soon as you install Windows 10:
Start > All Apps > Windows System > Right click on Command Prompt > Run as administrator

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:Q:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Replace Q: with your drive letter for Windows 10 installation media.
Now all programs requiring .NET 3.5 will install and not just brand new ones which you don't have to needlessly buy.

Last edited:
I don't see how installing older versions of .NET is unreasonable. If the program was targeted to an older version, you either need it or a version that includes older ones (3.5 includes 1.0/2.0/3.0 for example).

Am I missing an update or something?

This March update that includes the "Get Windows 10 app" is not in my list of Windows updates nor is it installed.
I have KB2952664 installed but nothing...

I'd like to atleast see if I can still reserve a free copy.
Anyone else not have the app?

You can upgrade for the first year. Use the link in the first post.

well, im not sure what happened, but my google chrome no longer works on win10 pro x64
crashes as soon as i open it.
guess im using firefox now.

Who remembers "DOS Ain't Done til Lotus Won't Run." (*)

http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/04/m...10-users-from-downloading-chrome-and-firefox/

It also appears that MS has removed the API for setting the default browser as Chrome can at best open up the settings page for making that change.

FWIW Chrome seems to run OK on my several installations of Win10 (mostly in VMs.)

(*) I guess that was a myth. Anyone who believes that probably also believes that the NSA records all of our web traffic and Intel tilts benchmarks to favor their processors over AMDs'.

It also appears that MS has removed the API for setting the default browser as Chrome can at best open up the settings page for making that change.
Everything that changes the default program opens up the list of default programs. I don't know why, but it isn't just Chrome.

So I upgraded to Win10 from 7 successfully, then booted to the ISO I burned to a disk and did a clean reinstall. Booted to Win10 successfully after the install, but rebooting caused an endless boot hang. I've reinstalled 4 times now, twice from USB media and it never works. I've tried to do an update, which fails, then same boot hang. I thought it was a driver issue, but why would it hang after a quick restart after the initial successful installation?

EDIT: So I disabled any internet and am able to restart just fine after the latest reinstall. I'm thinking it's the R9 290 driver install that's breaking the update...

Edit the 2nd: Installed beta driver and restarted successfully. I then did a system update and the same issue surfaced. Got a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error. Not sure what the problem is, but I think I'm going back to 7. I unfortunately don't have the time to troubleshoot right now..

Last edited:
The question many of us will have:)

If I have a full version of windows 7 or 8 (8.1) and upgrade to Ten, will I be able to move it to a new PC and decommission the old one like in the past or are they tying the licence to the hardware and not the purchaser?

Say the old MB testbed...

Activate Windows 7/8 on any machine - then install Windows 10 OVER it, only then activate Windows 10.

If you are successful - the new machine will be "remembered" by Microsoft and you can now continue to use Windows 10 you installed OVER Windows 7/8 or now do a fresh install of Windows 10, but only AFTER you have already installed it OVER Windows 7/8 at least once.

Back