• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i've been having an issue where windows update wakes up my computer from sleep. i generally sleep my computer rarely shutting it down, but ever since windows 10, i'll get up in the moring to my computer being on for idk how long.

This really irritates me and i've been forced to shut my computer down completely now.

Have you tried this setting:
Untitled.jpg

Worth a shot anyway, I don't personally use sleep, so I don't know if that will help or not.

You can configure Windows Updates to tell you when a restart is required, which allows you to set a time or do it right there.

You can configure Windows Updates to tell you when a restart is required, which allows you to set a time or do it right there.

Right, but Neon's issue is that it pulls the computer out of sleep to update, which we have no control over. I honestly don't even know if that setting will stop the issue.

I went ahead and changed the wake timers setting, will see what we get.

so I am a little confused and of course I have to make it more difficult in the process too..

heres what I am wondering. in order to do a fresh install of windows 10 I get that you have to have 7 or 8 installed and validate the key and then install 10 but heres where I am lost...

can you validate the key in 7 or 8 and then do a fresh install of 10 or do you validate the key during the installation of the 10 upgrade and then you reformat and install just 10 clean like afterwards?

the reason I ask is because I got a SSD finally (bought a mushkin eco3 120gig) for a boot drive and my current boot drive is going to become my steam drive but I'd rather not have to install 7/8 (cause I don't know what key I am going to convert yet) upgrade to 10, reformat and then install 10 to the SSD. I'd rather keep the file system on my current platter boot drive intact till I can get my info sorted off of it

To get a free upgrade you must install 10 OVER existing installation of 7/8.
THEN ACTIVATE 10.
Only after doing that - you then have a choice of simply continuing to use thus installed 10 or nuking your Windows drive and then installing 10 by itself (the Activation Servers will 'remember' your machine.)

ok well....hmm
I guess i'll nuke my windows 8 key and convert it to 10, spare my windows 7 key and keep it, its whats installed now.

it seems to me that I can install 10 as many times as I want on the same system unlike the limited number of activations other OSs had. and I guess it shouldn't be long before 10 keys show up super cheap on g2a aswell.
I didn't "reserve" my upgrade in 7 because I knew something funky would happen and I knew I was going to get a SSD

You can install any Windows OEM version on the same hardware as many times as you want, and it will activate. Sometimes you need to phone the activation in after a certain number of times, but it will activate.

Retail versions are different, in that they are a little more lenient.

ok so far on a fresh install i have 2 issues with win10. 1) how to shut off and unload Cortana? i have done as it says to on the net but it is still listed as a process. Also i cant shut off the boot-up log-in screen. I dont want to have to log in everytime i reboot windows. I have been able to disable the lock screen via regedit and also gp. I have been to the netplwiz and un checked the users must enter pass....blah blah. but at boot it still asked me to log in with pass. Also i dont have the ability to change my user pass...im assuming its tied to my hotmail???

Anyone have any solutions for these problems of mine?

* [Always log into Windows 10 as an Administrator without password requirements:]
Start > netplwiz
Users TAB > UNCHECK: Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer > OK
(A dialog will appear that asks you what user name and password should be used to logon automatically.)
Enter existing password or leave blank if you never entered your password > click on OK
The system should now boot into Desktop automatically without the logon prompt.

Last edited:
Here is a question I have not seen asked. If privacy is of concern enough to disable many of the features of 10, how is it advantageous to the previous versions? I had some real difficulties clean installing both 7 and 8.1 on different machines AND keeping the upgrade prompts and updates from occurring, after installing 10. KB2976968 was changed from optional to mandatory and unable to uninstall. Personally I find many of these changes and forced software pointing to the real problem of Microsoft in general. Arrogant and out of touch. Thoughts?

Here is a question I have not seen asked. If privacy is of concern enough to disable many of the features of 10, how is it advantageous to the previous versions? I had some real difficulties clean installing both 7 and 8.1 on different machines AND keeping the upgrade prompts and updates from occurring, after installing 10. KB2976968 was changed from optional to mandatory and unable to uninstall. Personally I find many of these changes and forced software pointing to the real problem of Microsoft in general. Arrogant and out of touch. Thoughts?

Eighteen pages and counting of 'thoughts' on that subject located here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-stop-and-think-Win-10-Less-moderated-version

I am told i do not have permission to access that page Alaric, but thanks. I will keep looking.

Really? That seems odd. Any mods available to look in to that ? Or am I missing something important / (Wouldn't be the first time)

edit: Did you try going to the General Discussion index and trying from there ?

He does not have access to the General Discussion section where that thread is located because he does not have more than 25 forum posts required before he can have access.

And that is why I almost always pose the "Am I missing something?" question. That is frequently the problem. And a current toothache is not helping my concentration. Thanks !

Back