• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
for you maybe, but I wasn't getting at speed and some people don't always want to do it that way or there is another preferred way aside from what we are talking about here, its just another option to get to some of the settings.
and since most of what I can remember about operating systems is old stuff (95, 98, 3.11, dos) I cant remember the new stuff so this helps. heck I still double click the top left corner of windows to close them like 3.11

any way back to the update thing, I got a strange "notification"

since I did the gpedit.msc thing I mentioned earlier and set it to notify but do not install updates it hasn't been doing any and I have just been ignoring the corner of my screen about the updates.
today (about 5 minutes ago) I started the computer up to pay the cable bill (for the interwebs!) and I get a full screen lock out with a green (theme colored) notification in the middle telling me there are updated to be installed.
I try and click away from it back to the browser, because I can see it still its just darkened a bit because its not the window in focus any more and it wont let me. ding ding ding. when ever I would try to click away I didn't want to click the notification it self so I tried the keyboard and escape worked, got me out of it, but then brought up the fake "settings" window with windows update and then I just closed it again.

I shoulda screen capped it but I panicked in the way of "you dirty sob's". i'm sure it'll happen again.

edit:
Found an interesting how-to on fixing some of the automatic update issues. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...dates/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

got a chance to finally click on this since I am now not at work on the toilet and I find it interesting that #1 is disabling the service upon startup, almost what I suggested earlier.
the more pressure and publicity that this gets I am sure they'll change it. especially if they keep pushing updated that break more than fix

Last edited:
I seem to recall Godmode in every version of Windows. It's interesting to remind you about various options you may not know about.

thid, I watched a lady break down at the thought of using Windows 8 Metro the other day and I thought of you.
I did a factory reset and told her that it'll be just like when she bought it at the store and I said "with tiles" to remind her.
Somebody must have switched off metro for her at some point and the thought of using it again made her relive the trauma, lol.

I quickly calmed her down but if only there was a camera... to show what metro did to people. I myself used it for an entire first month after buying Windows 8 - I had distinct butterflies of anger in my stomach about it :D

When charms started popping up she was about to loose it... haha.

the more pressure and publicity that this gets I am sure they'll change it. especially if they keep pushing updated that break more than fix

It already happened with what else? a video card update. nVidia borked people's rigs!
There is NOTHING out there that can allow us to block individual updates.

We certainly do not want to be blanket blocking every update. We need critical updates.
Right now it is ALL or NOTHING.

Imaging your system is the only protection.

It already happened with what else? a video card update. nVidia borked people's rigs!
There is NOTHING out there that can allow us to block individual updates.

We certainly do not want to be blanket blocking every update. We need critical updates.
Right now it is ALL or NOTHING.

Imaging your system is the only protection.

Or rolling back/waiting for the major October updates.

BTW insider build th2_release Professional 10532 is out. I think th2 is the eventual code for the October winten build.

Last edited:
thid, I watched a lady break down at the thought of using Windows 8 Metro the other day and I thought of you.
Heh, Windows 8 induced trauma. I love how people grossly overreact to Windows.

Yep. The insider Hub tile/menu item is back by default. Also the little 'Evaluation Copy' label in the lower right corner. It went away when build 10240 came out.

Interestingly my VM crashed and winten rolled me back to build 10525 which I never installed. I was at 10240 when I got the 10532 update. 10532 is now reinstalling. It seems winten is better at self repair than earlier versions.

Both excellent antivirus (Avira) and excellent firewall (Comodo) software are available for free.

I am using Comodo firewall, therefore I do not need the Windows firewall to be running simultaneously. After I switch OFF Windows 10 firewall, Microsoft begins an onslaught of popups saying that the Firewall is turned off. TURN IT BACK ON they say in their popups.
Since the pop-ups are endless after multiple reboots, if you so much as CLICK ANYWHERE on the popup to dismiss it even, the Windows Firewall gets turned back on by virtue of you trying to dismiss the annoying pop-up.

10/10 for sneaky mandatory enforcement of Windows Firewall.

I am trying two ways to combat this, one is a complicated way to turn off messages and the other one is a registry hack.
Trying to avoid the registry hack, I am first trying this.

It took me a while to find the Control Panel - they hid it well in the Settings menus, but here's a quick shortcut:
[AFTER TURNING OFF WINDOWS FIREWALL] Right click on the Start button > CONTROL PANEL >
View by: Large icons > Security and Maintenance > Turn off messages about network firewall > You can also turn off all other messages here.

Last edited:
c6, try windows key on your keyboard and type the name of what you want. Two letters in and 'control panel' was at the top of the list.

Thanks, I should have posted took me a while, while browsing all the settings, and experimenting with all the settings. If you've never used a Windows OS, good luck finding the Control Panel in Windows 10 Settings.
Take a stop watch right now and time yourself. ;)

For the record... Chrome IS borked for sure... I forgot I was trying to use FF, then tried Chrome... LOL

Also, CP was easy to find navigating the settings. It isn't front and center, but you don't need to take rations along for the ride either. Anything I can't find, I use that brilliant search bar with a lot of success.

It doesn't work, PERIOD. Will not connect to ANY site since the update (10525 th1 or w.e). Running 64bit Chrome. This was a couple of days ago, that could have changed...

But FF works just fine.

Chrome issue does not affect all users.
Google was "quite miffed" at Microsoft over this.
It's as if there's internal politics over this...

Thanks, I should have posted took me a while, while browsing all the settings, and experimenting with all the settings. If you've never used a Windows OS, good luck finding the Control Panel in Windows 10 Settings.
Take a stop watch right now and time yourself. ;)

5 seconds. Start/all apps/windows system/control panel. Seemed logical and intuitive to me :shrug:
I still like the win key best.

On the Chrome issue: Do you have a clean winten install or an updated version?

Back