• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
when i wrote not transfer to another computer i was more or less stating that, but my question was if i upgraded from a retail upgrade version, and significantly changed parts after a year (when the free upgrade ends) do I have to buy a new copy of winten?

I thought I basically answered that. As long as you are on the same motherboard no flags should be thrown. And even if one was you can probably call them and say the old one died and you had to replace it.

Not released yet, only have been told 'soon'. For right now I have an 8.1 machine with RSAT still installed.

The more I use Win 10, the less I like it and I've been finding all sorts of things that should not be enabled by default. I've gone and turned off wifi sense (shares wifi to other people without your consent), data tracking service, privacy settings, Windows update driver installation and update sharing, etc. The issue isn't that Microsoft cares about what we do, the issue is who Microsoft sells all this data to.

If you do work related stuff on your computer, don't bother with Windows 10.

If you do work related stuff on your computer, don't bother with Windows 10.

This is the OS of the future folks, how can we not bother with W10? There are some serious privacy concerns (you mentioned one of them), but the enterprise needs to move to this iteration at some point. (EOL - 2025) ALL these options can be removed through GPOs, I am most concerned with the OEM track and upgrading with existing license keys, I do so much imaging and virtualization. For me this adds more stress and angst.

I'll never forget the first Office + W7 activation errors which would happen on a whim (much less with W8/2013), I just DO NOT see MS responding well under this pressure, but only time will tell. :thup:

Anyone see issues with legacy commandline tools? I keep getting this administrator error, would be great if someone could validate/confirm they see the same issue.

and I've been finding all sorts of things that should not be enabled by default.
Some of things you mentioned are options when you install... I agree that it shouldn't be enabled by default, however, you have the option to disable most of them right out of the gate.

We are enthusiasts here people, NO EXPRESS INSTALLS! :p :)

I think the privacy concerns are being blown out of proportion, and are hypocritical. I'm not saying they are doing anything right, I'm just saying it is a non-issue.

The "you must be administrator" bug is in a few command line programs. I've seen a few reports where this happens. They seem to have changed something with UAC. I have a support tool I wrote for my company, and it claims to have administrator access without an elevation prompt only in Windows 10, so it's not just command line tools.

This is the OS of the future folks, how can we not bother with W10? There are some serious privacy concerns (you mentioned one of them), but the enterprise needs to move to this iteration at some point. (EOL - 2025) ALL these options can be removed through GPOs, I am most concerned with the OEM track and upgrading with existing license keys, I do so much imaging and virtualization. For me this adds more stress and angst.

I'll never forget the first Office + W7 activation errors which would happen on a whim (much less with W8/2013), I just DO NOT see MS responding well under this pressure, but only time will tell. :thup:

Anyone see issues with legacy commandline tools? I keep getting this administrator error, would be great if someone could validate/confirm they see the same issue.

The US Navy is sticking to Windows XP, my office still uses XP and Win 7 Enterprise with no mention of upgrading to anything anytime soon. But yeah someday these will definitely need to be upgraded.

The US Navy is sticking to Windows XP, my office still uses XP and Win 7 Enterprise with no mention of upgrading to anything anytime soon. But yeah someday these will definitely need to be upgraded.

RNwecZQ.jpg

The place I work is just now converting their PCs from XP to Win7. I doubt winten will ever happen there.

*sigh* - I just went through a good portion of the standard ADMX files for Windoze 10. *sigh*

My steps for GPO creation are pretty standard, but I will share anyway:

1. Create a folder on your DC @ \\DC\Sysvol\yourMSdomain.com\Policies\PolicyDefinitions
  2. Copy ALL files and folders (ADMX and en-us folder) from the Windows RTM (or whatever it's called lol) build local machine location \Windows\PolicyDefinitions to DC in step 1
  3. Open GPMC on your DC and/or client editing GPO box
  4. Create a WMI filter with the following information:
  5. select * from Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE Version like "10%"
  6. Target your site / container / OU and "Create new policy object and link it here.."
  7. Select "Computer Configuration" => you should see "Administrative Templates: Policy definitions (ADMX files) retrieved from the central store
  8. BE SURE the new GPO is leveraging the filter or your OTHER WINDOZE workstations could be harmed etc.
  9. GO HOG WILD with the ridiculous (powerful) amount of preferences/policies you can apply
  10. .. or just import my base settings to help me test and see if I missed some settings/preferences which may be worthy. :p
  11. You can always leverage rsop.msc to ensure the settings are working in the domain (verified mine were working and active - woohoo)

Base Computer GPO Privacy Settings for W10 (work in progress)

This was tortous lol, I'm going to read for a bit. :popcorn:

How would I go about getting windows compatibility mode to work? I had the driver for my sound card installed on my 8.1 image and upgraded without any problems aside from it being extremely sluggish. Did a fresh install with 10 and now I can't get my sound card to install. Right clicked and ran troubleshoot comparability but didn't see the old style of choosing which previous version you wanted to run as for the install. Refuse to install 8.1 then upgrade :mad:

I literally just got it working. Tried the windows 8 version as someone suggested in the windows compatibility center for my xonar dgx.

Back