• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Since the anniversary update, it seems to do updates without warning. It used to pop up and go "hey updates are installed you can do it now or we will restart at x". Now, I get no warning and wake up to my computer restarted, which is annoying.

What GPEDIT command?
The one that disables updates results in no updates ever downloaded until you open the Windows Update page to check, and then they begin downloading and installing.

I believe he is referring to GPEDIT command that makes it so updates are only downloaded when you click to check for updates.

In your case thideras the only thing I know of is
Start > Settings > Update & security > Advanced options > Choose how updates are delivered: Notify to schedule restart.

What is that option set to on your system?

This is brand new.
Wow.
The act of checking for updates begun the download AND installation process before.
To me that was beyond incredible. Just unbelievable that you could not even check to see what updates are available without them "getting you" - after not allowing you to choose updates.

So new build has this changed I see. Thank you.

Still GPEDIT disables automatic download, not restarts.
I have heard thideras' problem before.
I am anxious to find out what his setting is set to requiring restarts because the person who originally reported it, I wasn't sure if he got it right.
So looking forward to hear thid's replay.

I got this after the gpedit. Maybe it's 1607 only or maybe not. I did update to 1607 from essentially a clean install of 1151. Still can't selectivity choose which updates to apply. It's going to be all or none.

Yes. All or none on Win7 and 8 in a month or so as well

And Oh it is _definitely_ 1607 which I don't have yet.
GPEDIT completely disables updates. Until you manually request all updates as in your screenshot.

Before 1607, windows updates installed as soon as you as much as LOOKED at the update page.

So this is a good change from Microsoft. Thank you Microsoft (sincerely) for at least allowing us to LOOK at Win10 updates now without fear of them installing if we did.

This gives us time to avoid any train wreck in advance and wait for the fix before boarding the next train.

Last edited:
Wow Intel can't make the CPU faster so there using custom CPU and software only, almost like Apple.:mad: What happen to competition?:shrug:

What do you mean "almost like Apple"? They'll still support Linux if you're that much against Windows 10.

What do you mean "almost like Apple"? They'll still support Linux if you're that much against Windows 10.

Where did you read Kaby Lake will support Linux? I like both windows 10 and Linux.

What I was referring to is you have to buy CPU and OS together like Apple.

Where did you read Kaby Lake will support Linux? I like both windows 10 and Linux.

What I was referring to is you have to buy CPU and OS together like Apple.

From this article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3112...e-zen-chips-will-support-only-windows-10.html

Referenced Article said:
Why this matters: Microsoft's push forward, however rational from a technology standpoint, robs PC enthusiasts of their choice of operating systems—a freedom this particular sector of the community has loudly defended in the past. This could have broader implications for the PC market, too: It could be the deciding factor that finally brings about the abandonment of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. (Linux is an option, too, and nothing is precluding Apple from buying the chips for Macs, either.)

Referenced Article said:
Updated at 10:03 AM with additional details about Intel's Kaby Lake drivers. Clarification: Microsoft's support strategy applies to the use of the chips within Windows PCs, not Linux or Apple Macs.

The press release was only from Microsoft... not Intel. Microsoft isn't in control of Intel and can only dictate which Microsoft operating systems the new processors support.

Well, this should be pleasing to no one. Except MS, Intel, AMD, and their squads.

Did MS write the headline?
Intel's Kaby Lake and AMD's Zen processors will only support Windows 10

A much more accurate statement would be "Microsoft will not support Windows previous to 10 on Kaby Lake or Zen" (Unless they back down. Again.)

The good news? Maybe 2016 is the year of Linux on the desktop!

:D

Just kidding. I doubt that Linux will ever be more than a niche on the desktop. However in up and coming spaces like Chromebooks, IoT, cell phones and the cloud Linux is doing well. It's even available on MS' cloud service, Azure. I think there a lot of servers running Linux, many of them on Intel processors. I don't see Intel abandoning that market so I'm pretty sure that Intel will support Linux on Kaby Lake.

Back