• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There was mention of chrome 64 bit not working in that link i posted earlier they said 64bit chrome canary and regular 32 bit chrome work though

Both excellent antivirus (Avira) and excellent firewall (Comodo) software are available for free.

I am using Comodo firewall, therefore I do not need the Windows firewall to be running simultaneously. After I switch OFF Windows 10 firewall, Microsoft begins an onslaught of popups saying that the Firewall is turned off. TURN IT BACK ON they say in their popups.
Since the pop-ups are endless after multiple reboots, if you so much as CLICK ANYWHERE on the popup to dismiss it even, the Windows Firewall gets turned back on by virtue of you trying to dismiss the annoying pop-up.

10/10 for sneaky mandatory enforcement of Windows Firewall.

I am trying two ways to combat this, one is a complicated way to turn off messages and the other one is a registry hack.
Trying to avoid the registry hack, I am first trying this.

It took me a while to find the Control Panel - they hid it well in the Settings menus, but here's a quick shortcut:
[AFTER TURNING OFF WINDOWS FIREWALL] Right click on the Start button > CONTROL PANEL >
View by: Large icons > Security and Maintenance > Turn off messages about network firewall > You can also turn off all other messages here.

weird, once i turned on comodo firewall, then turned off windows firewall, i didnt get any popup about firewall being turned off.

What I posted is verified.
On fresh retail installations without any modifications, if you turn off Windows Firewall, Windows 10 goes bat**** crazy tricking you into turning it back on, genuinely tricking you, because there is an X on that popup implying you can dismiss it but as soon as you touch that popup with your mouse, Windows Firewall is turned back on without you even realizing it.

The cure I posted appears to work without any registry hacks, so that part is good.

updateNOW.jpg

it did it again!

I was watching an episode of game grumps on the you tubes (full screen). wanted to see if the game I they were watching was worthy to add to the collection.

really ****ing annoying popping up right in the middle of everything, i'm tempted to see if it'll do it mid full screen game but theres no telling when its going to do it

Apologies if you posted this earlier in the thread but judging by the screenshot, those are Windows Store updates. Did you go to Windows Store App settings and disable updates?

That setting is certainly crucial to be disabled and we will figure out how to do it but let's start with the Windows Store settings?
Please post if you are running Win10 Pro?

Yep 10 pro and store updates are disabled.
When i hit the escape key it sends me to Windows updates

Very well. In that case do this. Please report if this addressed your problem.

Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Enabled > [drop-down menu]: 2 - Notify for download and notify for install > OK

Start > Settings > Update & security > Advanced options > Choose how updates are delivered: Notify to schedule restart.
Choose how updates are delivered > OFF

For good measure:
Start > File Explorer > [wait for it to show up, then] Right click on This PC > Properties > Advanced system settings > Hardware TAB > Device Installation Settings > SELECT: No, let me choose what to > Never install driver software from Windows Update. UNCHECK everything here. > Save changes > OK.

I wonder why MS has decided to ram updates down the user's throats. I'd like to get the list of available updates and choose the ones I want like I do now with win7.

Ctrl + F4 won't close out a window or popup like earlier versions of windows. That way you'll have to touch it with your mouse.

Last edited:
Because most users are stupid, and if given the choice, just don't update their PC at all!

Because most users are stupid, and if given the choice, just don't update their PC at all!

I agree. From my experience most people that purchase an off-the-shelf PC think of it as if they are buying a refrigerator or microwave oven. Buy it, use it, if it breaks take it to the shop. Or call that geeky relative or friend. They don't update any software excepting perhaps their mobile phone which is more of a push service than a voluntarily thought out informed decision. Those kitchen appliances don't get firmware or software updates either. Yet. So, what's there to think about updating?

There are settings that are well hidden in the registry and settings that are hard to change, settings that can be changed only by computer knowledgeable people who know very well what the difference is between a critical update and a completely needless video card update.

Microsoft did not want us knowledgeable users having a choice.

I wonder why MS has decided to ram updates down the user's throats. I'd like to get the list of available updates and choose the ones I want like I do now with win7.
At my workplace, we recently updated our SSL certs, which broke compatibility with XP SP2. We were flooded with enough calls that they backed out the change and when we told people their crap was super out of date, they got hostile with us. Tell me why automatic updates are a bad idea.

Automatic updates by default are an excellent idea. But that default should be an option.
Making it nearly impossible to avoid an update - also begrudgingly acceptable. But there should be an option to go through a million hoops and be able to have that other option.

Giving us a choice to choose individual updates would allow us not to risk certain purpose-specific rigs.
I want critical updates on them but updating a video card update on them can break them. They are not used for gaming. Their display functions. Updating their video card driver ONLY puts them at risk of a malfunction and a video card update has been responsible for problems on every single version of Windows (including Windows 10 - nVidia problem we heard about?)

Scenario #2.

My dad uses his computer for emails and to read the news. He does not do 98% of things that we do.
I visit him and I run security updates for him manually. If I did not run those manually, a hardware driver update borking his machine would cause an immediate phone call and an hour and a half return trip drive (not to mention time spent there) for me.

I can list endless scenarios.
As with Metro - this is not about default anything. It's about lack of (difficult to implement) CHOICE to change it for people who do not use their computers like Microsoft developers do. People who are not like me and people who are not like you.

Last edited:
I just installed win10 on my win8.1 box & all went real good for the most part.

I do have one small problem - When I boot up the first screen that appears is one that asks me what operating sys. I want to use. It has two boxes one for win10 & one for win8.1. It seems now that it thinks I have a dual boot sys. If I try to select the 8.1 option it will tell me I have a problem & gives me the options to repair the sys. or use a different operating sys. Clicking on win10 boots just fine.

Any ideas how to get rid of this screen? :bang head :bang head

Dan

I just installed win10 on my win8.1 box & all went real good for the most part.

I do have one small problem - When I boot up the first screen that appears is one that asks me what operating sys. I want to use. It has two boxes one for win10 & one for win8.1. It seems now that it thinks I have a dual boot sys. If I try to select the 8.1 option it will tell me I have a problem & gives me the options to repair the sys. or use a different operating sys. Clicking on win10 boots just fine.

Any ideas how to get rid of this screen? :bang head :bang head

Dan
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2288-windows-boot-manager-delete-listed-operating-system.html

(https://www.google.com/webhp?source...how to remove boot options windows 10&es_th=1)

Those are for W7 and W8, but you just need to get to that msconfig box. I never tried in in W10 though... I assume its there.

Back