• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How important are Chipset drivers nowadays?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bion1985

Registered
So 2 days ago I made the switch to Windows 10 and I decided at this time I'd also check out my Intel Chipset drivers I went to my motherboards support website and found several options under the chipset download option here https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97AUSB_31/HelpDesk_Download/ and along with the sata, sound, and LAN drivers I also installed these two options after removing the previous ones I've noticed since I've done this I can't recall the exact name but under my drivers I have one that has xeon in it (don't have xenon cpu) did I do something wrong? Is there anything to worry about? Should I uninstall all Chipset drivers and try a different set? Always kinda had issues when it came to figuring how these should be installed, would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Hello,

From the pictures you put in the link, They are just updated drivers for the chipset. They may have just added code to include the xeon cpu's. If your board is running correctly then it should be ok. It just means that if you had a xeon chip it would also work fine.

Ok cool so since I removed previous ones and installed ones above I mentioned I should be OK? I think everything is working well just want to make sure its done correct and I get the most performance as I mainly game

Rarely will chipset drivers affect gaming enough to notice. As Yawanathan mentioned they usually add compatability issues. Sometimes you will see minimal improved performance if you're running very new equipment and if you're on an older platform you may even get slight worse results. But mainly for gaming, very little. If it's working, well then you're good.

Thanks guys never totally understood what proper drivers did and how to chose on these as there are always a few options

Back