• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues with my ASRock 990FX Extreme9 MB.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

I am in the process of upgrading my computer and installed the MB today. Everything is fine until Windows boots. Once Windows is fully loaded, there is a sound of electrical arcing. I've heard capacitor noise and coil hum before and this isn't that. Everything, save for the issue below, seems to work fine, but the noise is disconcerting. I shouldn't be able to hear electrical sparking from a motherboard.

On top of this, the front panel USB 3 (the little thing that fits into the floppy disk slot) connectors are not working. I've verified that I have the correct driver installed, and I can plug my phone in and charge it, but it is not recognized as a USB device.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit installed. Any ideas what would be causing this? I'd rather fix it if possible than RMA the board, but I will if I must.

The system as it stands right now:
ASRock 990FX Extreme 9
AMD FX-8150
16 GB Patriot G2 Series (DDR3-1333) RAM
XFX 7870 GHz Edition

Unplug the USB ports from the front panel and see if the noise stops

Try building with minimal parts on top of a box, see if it persists.

Good advice from ATM, only way to isolate things. As for the usb3 they won't work until you install the driver for them most likely.

Prepare to RMA the board. It will be short lived.
This was the first symptom on the two Ex9's that I blew up.

Prepare to RMA the board. It will be short lived.
This was the first symptom on the two Ex9's that I blew up.

*SIGH!* I was afraid of that. Thanks. Started the RMA process...

Good advice from ATM, only way to isolate things. As for the usb3 they won't work until you install the driver for them most likely.

The correct drivers are installed.

Nope. I looked at that already. I'm sticking with this MB. I sent it back to NewEgg this afternoon for replacement.

The Sabertooth is king at this forum. Not counting the Crosshair 5 Formula Z. Not many people here have had a Extreme9. The Extreme9 seems to be prone to thermal throttling. While the Sabertooth has no issues taking the FX cpu's as far as they can be pushed.

The Sabertooth is king at this forum. Not counting the Crosshair 5 Formula Z. Not many people here have had a Extreme9. The Extreme9 seems to be prone to thermal throttling. While the Sabertooth has no issues taking the FX cpu's as far as they can be pushed.

I've had no issues with thermal throttling, links to threads where people did?

I've had no issues with thermal throttling, links to threads where people did?

I have read negative things about this board on this forum. I am not going to waste my time trying to dig threads up. There is very little feedback on the Extreme9 to be honest. That is telling in itself. While there is thread after thread about a proven board in the Sabertooth. The price being similar I can't see how anyone would buy the Extreme9 vs the Sabertooth given a choice.

I'm not doubting you. One of my intents is to upgrade to 32GB of RAM. Mostly because I want to, partly because I plan on doing video editing and 3D rendering. I don't know much about memory, but one thing I have read time and time again is that maxing out a MB's RAM has negative performance issues. With that in mind, I am looking for a board that supports a minimum of 64 GB.

This may be entirely unnecessary, but it is where I'm going with this build.

I'm not doubting you. One of my intents is to upgrade to 32GB of RAM. Mostly because I want to, partly because I plan on doing video editing and 3D rendering. I don't know much about memory, but one thing I have read time and time again is that maxing out a MB's RAM has negative performance issues. With that in mind, I am looking for a board that supports a minimum of 64 GB.

Guys with more knowledge than me will tell you that the more memory you have especially going to four dimms can overstress the IMC.

- - - Updated - - -

Double post.

Last edited:
Guys with more knowledge than me will tell you that the more memory you have especially going to four dimms can overstress the IMC.

That's odd. I built my first PC in 2007 and my current one in 2012. I used four sticks of RAM both times with absolutely no issues. If using four sticks can potentially damage a processor or MB, why even allow it by putting in four slots? There seems to be some misinformation going around on this topic. I'd like more information.

he seems to be dead set on that board and lots of ram, lets just see if we can help him get it running when the new board gets into his hands.
marks, just make sure that the ram you install is all one kit of four sticks, or at least 2 kits of the exact same parts number.
sitting out here thousands of miles from the rig makes trouble shooting and tweaking many, many hard.
here off the forum I run mixed ram, crucial with kingston, gskill with corsair, it can be tough at times and I would never have anybody i was helping remotely try it. you try getting some of the kingston to run on amd.
some of the kingston I have to work at it to get it to work with amd, slip it into my inel rigs and it's no problem at all.

he seems to be dead set on that board..

Not so much that. More like that is what I already paid for and is what I'm getting back with the RMA. I'm not trying to discount anyone's opinion or advice, but this is what I have and I do not have the money to replace the board. I just bought the board a week ago.

The RAM issue is curious. Why is this an issue, and why have I not seen any ill effects? Is this solely a problem if I overclock or is this a problem no matter what? I've always purchased a kit of four sticks, BTW.

That's odd. I built my first PC in 2007 and my current one in 2012. I used four sticks of RAM both times with absolutely no issues. If using four sticks can potentially damage a processor or MB, why even allow it by putting in four slots? There seems to be some misinformation going around on this topic. I'd like more information.
Nobody said it would damage anything. More memory puts more stress on the IMC is all. Sometimes you need to bump the voltage to get it stable. 4 sticks has ALWAYS hampered overclocking on any platform since I can remember.

Nobody said it would damage anything. More memory puts more stress on the IMC is all. Sometimes you need to bump the voltage to get it stable. 4 sticks has ALWAYS hampered overclocking on any platform since I can remember.

"overstress", to me anyway, sounds like it would lead to damage. I don't do much overclocking, so maybe that is why I haven't had issues.

Back