• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Lockscreen Hanging Loading Circle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kitsune

Registered
Hey guys

I'm having an issue with Windows 10 where everytime Windows displays a loading circle instead of the password field after pressing enter to dismiss the Lockscreen picture to go and enter my password.

I would return to my PC after a while of inactivity and the Lockscreen picture would be displayed as normal.
I then use the mouse or press enter to go to the password entry screen but would be presented with the loading circle in place of the password field.
Windows would then show the Lockscreen picture again after loading something and then I'd be able to dismiss it and enter my password to unlock my PC. The issue is rather irritating. :mad:

I upgraded from Win 8.1, I've tested this in another PC with similar specs and upgraded from 8.1 also, that has the same issue.

Any ideas? Thanks! :thup:

Try disabling hibernation

Launch elevated CMD and type:

powercfg /h off

then restart and see if it helped

I disabled hibernation using that method before I upgraded due to never using hibernation and hiberfil.sys taking up ridiculous amounts of space, would upgrading turn it back on?

If disabling hibernation does not work try boot into safe mode, navigate to device manager and disable listed graphic cards/monitors and reboot.

If that does not work:

Use DDU and install the newest version of your graphics driver.

Try doing a clean install, solves everything in my experience :clap:

That would be the final option yes.

Just make sure your free upgrade is activated then download and create the installation media using Media Creation Tool

I would advice all to do a fresh install though, as soon as they have upgraded and activated winten for the first time.

In that case I'll disable it again :)

- - - Updated - - -

If disabling hibernation does not work try boot into safe mode, navigate to device manager and disable listed graphic cards/monitors and reboot.

If that does not work:

Use DDU and install the newest version of your graphics driver.

Hmm, I've installed the latest Win10 drivers for my GPU, I'll try the disabling suggestion though

- - - Updated - - -

Try doing a clean install, solves everything in my experience. :clap:

That would be the final option yes.

Just make sure your free upgrade is activated then download and create the installation media using Media Creation Tool

I would advice all to do a fresh install though, as soon as they have upgraded and activated winten for the first time.

I'll use that as a last resort :p, I reinstalled 8.1 fresh not long ago.

Try booting from your install media, then then click Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Repair.

Update:
I've tried disabling hibernation again and the problem unfortunately still persists. I've already updated the graphics driver so that can be ruled out as well.

Try booting from your install media, then then click Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Repair.

I'll try this and post update

If the startup repair doesn't change anything... open up an elevated cmd prompt and type the following:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Not sure if the above cmd will assist you with your issues or not. Its used to fix system corruption issues in 8/8.1/10

It could also be a startup item that runs fine in Win8 but won't in 10. I had to go back to 7 and disable core temp, MSI afterburner and Corsair Link software. They will run but only after startup.

It could also be a startup item that runs fine in Win8 but won't in 10. I had to go back to 7 and disable core temp, MSI afterburner and Corsair Link software. They will run but only after startup.

I'll try disabling everything at startup and report back.

I finally got round to doing a clean install of Win10, the problem still persists, can anyone else test this and see if they get the same issue?
General stability of it is poor, the starfield screensaver I always use used to be smooth in Win 7, 8, and 8.1 - yet it stutters in Windows 10, I've tried using the default savers as well and the loading circle still happens, though there aren't any stutters when using those.

I hit the issue once on my laptop, and I had to restart to fix it. Seems to be related to hibernation/sleep. Hasn't happened yet, though.

Back