• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fusion Roller Replacement- How Often Should it Happen or Buy a New Printer???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I've owned 2 laser jets, both B&W. I owned an HP back in 1998, and it worked flawlessly until it died of old age about 10 years later.

In 2010 I bought a Brother HL-2270DW , primarily because it did duplexing at a reasonable price. HP didn't have anything that did at the price point back then.

I don't print that often actually. I've only needed one new toner cartridge. My Brother printer's fusion roller has gotten dirty, I cleaned the drum with alcohol, still speckling of dots in the margins. A new fusion roller runs about $135.00 !!

Is it worth replacing the fusion roller, or should I buy a new laser jet? I would also add, I printed tons more with my HP at the time.

Is this typical time period for replacing a fusion roller??? I never had to replace one.

I thought Brother had come along in quality, but maybe I was wrong?

Is it the actual fusion heater strip or the toner/electrostatic drum cartridge? The heater should last for the life of the printer, but the drum usually lasts for one or maybe two toner refills (if you refill your cartridges). After that they start getting micro scratches that show up as toner blotches. Trying to clean the drum will only make it worse.

Is it the actual fusion heater strip or the toner/electrostatic drum cartridge? The heater should last for the life of the printer, but the drum usually lasts for one or maybe two toner refills (if you refill your cartridges). After that they start getting micro scratches that show up as toner blotches. Trying to clean the drum will only make it worse.

It's the black drum, shaped liked a cylinder. Wow, I'm surprised they don't last that long. My HP lasted forever no issues. Thanks for the input. A new one cost more than a new replacement printer. That's such a joke.

Some printers have separate drums. Others have the toner cartridge and drum as one unit. If yours is a combo unit, it will get replaced every time you get new toner. Maybe units with separate drums are supposed to last longer. I don't know. You can get decent home sized units on sale for well under $100

My two Samsung monochromatic laser printers were the combo type. I refilled as $80 was a ridiculous cost to replace the toner each time. Cuts the cost way down.

Back