• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New parts, same problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrEd

Registered
So I have installed my new M5A99FX MOBO and Hyper 212EVO cooler. Same issues, boots up, (bios only now, needs to be reset). Runs 2-3 minutes, fan kicks up, auto shutdown, bad burning smell. We thought it was the MOBO before, but it must be something else.
Common parts are:
  • PSU, (All numbers are good in bios)
  • RAM (Can't imagine this is a problem)
  • GTX970 (suspicious, bought used off Ebay)
  • CPU - came new with computer, could this create issues? Can my CPU be bad and fry other parts like the MOBO?

I am NO expert, but am most suspicious of the CPU and the GPU. I ran the new build with the GTX970 first, it went to bios then shut down after a few minutes. Installed older R7 card, powers up, no video working.

On old build both GPU's did the same, turn on system, full boot, CPU fan kicked up, auto shut down in about 5 minutes. Can a GPU be putting some bad power into my MOBO to fry something?

Last edited:
Did you check the PSU with a multimeter?
Are you using thermal paste?

If I smelled burning the first thing I would look at is the PSU personally. And considering the CX750 is a cheap component psu, I would definitely look at that first.

PSU is good on multimeter.
Used thermal paste, but I will remove the cooler, clean it and reapply.

PSU is good on multimeter.
Used thermal paste, but I will remove the cooler, clean it and reapply.

Did you check the PSU under load with a multimeter? There is a sticky in the PSU section that explains how to do this.

Did you check the PSU under load with a multimeter?

I did check the PSU before the new parts were installed, under load using a jumper on the plug to the MOBO. 12v - 5v - 3.3v all good. I read the sticky just now and checked the rails again, all three voltages good. I am happy to buy a better PSU, but 12v - 5v - 3.3v are all good on this sub par PSU.

Have you tried building outside the case to see if the issue persists?
How much paste are you using?

How much paste are you using?

As for paste, google says about the size of a BB or small pea. I did redo it, and put a little less on second time. But now have discovered that it seems to be the PSU fan that speeds up before auto shut down. So I have decided to buy a new, (good), PSU and see if that fixes it.

Here is top hoping you will at least check out the list in the PSU section before buying one. Not that the CX series is bad, it is plenty serviceable, its just not great.

As for paste, google says about the size of a BB or small pea. I did redo it, and put a little less on second time. But now have discovered that it seems to be the PSU fan that speeds up before auto shut down. So I have decided to buy a new, (good), PSU and see if that fixes it.

Definitely sounds like the PSU is giving up the ghost since it's the one ramping up.

With your hardware, I'd suggest getting a SeaSonic G-550 or EVGA SuperNova G2 550W.

Here is top hoping you will at least check out the list in the PSU section before buying one.

Reading the list right now..... Pretty soon I will have a whole new computer.... LOL :)

Just remember, that twitching in your fingers while hovering over product pages is not an anxiety issue, it is simply the good ol' upgrade itch. Welcome it, embrace it!

I don't know what that means, is it something I should try? I imagine my parts all loose on a table but no case, why would that matter?

I don't know what that means, is it something I should try? I imagine my parts all loose on a table but no case, why would that matter?

Removes the possibility of any grounding issues with the case.
Build on top of a cardboard box so that you don't short anything on the back of the motherboard.

Back