• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Razer synapse and audio device switching issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bion1985

Registered
So I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and didn't notice this issue in 8.1 so posting here, if wrong forum I apologize. So I have a Razer Blackwidow keyboard, Naga mouse and Kraken chroma and have Razer synapse installed for drivers. I like to be able to switch audio devices in the middle of games/tasks if need be (say playing game with headset on then be able to unplug headset and have audio come from speakers via onboard sound. But there are a couple things I noticed. First off when I start playing a game using headset then I unplug the headset it will (depending on game some don't make the switch at all and just lose sound) switch to onboard sound and output via speakers but when I plug headset back in I get no sound. I go back to Windows and no matter if I set the Krakens to default audio or onboard sound the sound still outputs from speakers. Only fix I have found for this is to disable via task manager Synapse from starting on boot (also lovely for quicker boot times) I have not used Synapse to set any macros (all set in games) so should this be an issue? Other problem I've encountered is when I start up some games I here a crackle/pop sound for a split second on start of game, then rest of gaming sound is clear and normal. Anyone know what might cause that or is it just kinda normal?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

- Disable the sound driver in Device Manager (Right click Win icon in the taskbar)
- Run the sound troubleshooter (Right click Win icon in the taskbar - Control Panel - Type Troubleshooting - Click Troubleshooting - Beneath Hardware and Sound is Troubleshoot audio playback.

Run that, and it will enable the sound driver and settings to it's original state and see if it works.

Edit:

The thing about the sound not switching from speaker to headset or vise versa in games is a pretty common problem lot's of games have, it is not necessarily a driver or windows fault.

- Disable the sound driver in Device Manager (Right click Win icon in the taskbar)
- Run the sound troubleshooter (Right click Win icon in the taskbar - Control Panel - Type Troubleshooting - Click Troubleshooting - Beneath Hardware and Sound is Troubleshoot audio playback.

Run that, and it will enable the sound driver and settings to it's original state and see if it works.

Edit:

The thing about the sound not switching from speaker to headset or vise versa in games is a pretty common problem lot's of games have, it is not necessarily a driver or windows fault.

Thanks I'll give that a shot. I did notice that it seems that of I stop Razer Synapse from launching on boot and don't run it in the system tray that my audio switching usually works correctly. Do you know if Razer Synapse needs to be running for the keyboard, mouse, and headset to work properly? I have some macros set on the extra side buttons of the Naga and I didn't get a chance to see if they still work after disabling Synapse to launch (its still installed just not running on start up or in system tray) Also noticed that when disabling Synapse to start on boot it really increased my boot/start-up speed.

Yeah Synapse is crap to put it mildly, used it for short while but quickly uninstalled it happily and never looked back.

You do not need synapse to have your Keybord, mouse or headset to work as it should, and all the buttons on the mouse will still work without it. If the games you play have macro building implemented you can do it there.

Cook thanks, yea I noticed when I stopped Synapse from opening on boot up and if its not running my audio devices switch properly. I'll probably just keep it installed in case I want to change lighting or something like that but not run it or just uninstall all together. Although it bugs me if Synapse is not installed you have that little install Synapse icon down in system tray. I'll try the audio troubleshooter to see if that helps with the crackle/pop sound on startup of some games. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling audio drivers and that didn't work. It's not a huge deal that it does the crackle/pop I think as its only the instant that the game is starting then it never does it again. Just if its not normal I'd like to fix it, just bugs me when things don't work correctly lol.

Cook thanks, yea I noticed when I stopped Synapse from opening on boot up and if its not running my audio devices switch properly. I'll probably just keep it installed in case I want to change lighting or something like that but not run it or just uninstall all together. Although it bugs me if Synapse is not installed you have that little install Synapse icon down in system tray. I'll try the audio troubleshooter to see if that helps with the crackle/pop sound on startup of some games. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling audio drivers and that didn't work. It's not a huge deal that it does the crackle/pop I think as its only the instant that the game is starting then it never does it again. Just if its not normal I'd like to fix it, just bugs me when things don't work correctly lol.

The install icon is a easy fix: Click it and press (cant remember what it says, Cancel/exit or something) and then you get the option of a reminder or to never install, then you ofc press never install.

Edit:

The crackle/pop sound is it only when using headset or also speakers? And how are they connected to the system?

Ok cool yea if it will work properly without it I'll prob just do that myself. Guessing if you uninstall you just can't change color of lights or any mouse settings via Synapse. But I think I've also heard that most of those settings don't apply if its not running anyways. (although I do know that your color changes on Chroma devices will stay if you don't run Synapse)

Ok cool yea if it will work properly without it I'll prob just do that myself. Guessing if you uninstall you just can't change color of lights or any mouse settings via Synapse. But I think I've also heard that most of those settings don't apply if its not running anyways. (although I do know that your color changes on Chroma devices will stay if you don't run Synapse)

Yeah you just lose all those small fancy mimics, not a bad trade off to get the sound working. You could try put the color you want and then kill synapse, if it stays good, but you will probably have to redo the color every time you boot.

Yea it is proper audio >Synapse everyday. Now my major concern (might be nothing so if it is someone please tell me its normal) is when I start up some games (World of Warcraft for example) I here a medium to low like pop sound from speakers or headset. Besides the Kraken headset I have a older set of Logitech 2-1 speakers plugged into the green audio Jack on back of mobo. Going to try that audio troubleshooter you mentioned above but its odd cause I've uninstalled and reinstalled audio drivers and had no luck. Even tried both downloading driver from Asus website for audio (both drivers tried) and even letting Windows do the driver by default w no luck. Like I said might be normal if it is please let me know so I can feel dum for concerning myself w it lol.

Yea it is proper audio >Synapse everyday. Now my major concern (might be nothing so if it is someone please tell me its normal) is when I start up some games (World of Warcraft for example) I here a medium to low like pop sound from speakers or headset. Besides the Kraken headset I have a older set of Logitech 2-1 speakers plugged into the green audio Jack on back of mobo. Going to try that audio troubleshooter you mentioned above but its odd cause I've uninstalled and reinstalled audio drivers and had no luck. Even tried both downloading driver from Asus website for audio (both drivers tried) and even letting Windows do the driver by default w no luck. Like I said might be normal if it is please let me know so I can feel dum for concerning myself w it lol.

Try the troubleshooting, and get back to me with the result.

If the troubleshooting is to no avail try these things.

Try plug the headset into the front jack to see if it still happens. Either way, try the steps below in that order.

- (1)Update to the newest display driver
- (2)Update to the newest chipset driver
- (3)Flash to the newest BIOS version

Link to BIOS and chipset here

Oh wow they literally just released a bios update. I checked this a few days ago while troubleshooting this and had confirmed I had most recent bios but I believe the top one is more current in that link. As for Chipset drivers do I need to uninstall the previous ones or can you just install over them? I also uninstalled and reinstalled the chipset drivers a few days ago (when I updated to 10 to make sure I had right ones) but I have noticed there are a few options under chipset drivers if I remember correctly I installed these two from the chipset drop down

Ok just to confirm as I was unsure when I did it, does it sound like I installed them correctly? Like I said I uninstalled the previous and installed the two options listed above in the link.

Ok just to confirm as I was unsure when I did it, does it sound like I installed them correctly? Like I said I uninstalled the previous and installed the two options listed above in the link.

Hmm if you try to edit a post on mobile it deletes.....

You should only install one (the top one) that is the newest, it contains the fixes of the previous. Same goes for bios.

Ok I just worry and want to make sure I didn't mess up. I'll try the bios update and the troubleshooter tonight and let you know results.

Thanks for being patient with me. I do ok with computers but when it comes to drivers and issues like that I don't know quite as much.

Ok I just worry and want to make sure I didn't mess up. I'll try the bios update and the troubleshooter tonight and let you know results.

Thanks for being patient with me. I do ok with computers but when it comes to drivers and issues like that I don't know quite as much.

No problem, happy to help :)

I will grab some shut eye and get back to you later.

Ok so ran a bios flash and tried the troubleshooter you suggested and i still get like a static pop sound from speakers. Its very faint on the speakers but seems more noticeable coming from the headset when I am using it.

Also in reference to a few post up about my chipset install here is a screenshot of what I have installed in the device manager.

Im starting to wonder if a clean install may help as I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and didn't perform clean install yet (although the 8.1 install I had prior to 10 was less than a month old) or maybe that this is just how its is. Don't know running out of ideas.

Edit: I have noticed that it only does the small short pop/static like sound that im talking about at start of 2 games World of Warcraft and Tomb Raider 2013

Last edited:
Back