• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

34" LG Curved monitor - Keep SLI 970's or get 390x's??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UmX

Registered
I currently have 970 SLI gamer editions and i have a LG 34in wide curve..

Im wondering if I should change cards and go to a single 390X and down the road maybe get another.

Last edited:
bigger single is always better and cheaper than a lesser sli setup.
I like my single 770 4 gig card better than my sli 760's to game, but when benching it's the 760's, just because a titan owner hates that........

I currently have 970 SLI gamer editions and i have a LG 34in wide curve..

Im wondering if I should change cards and go to a single 390X due to the amount of memory on the card and down the road maybe get another.

bump to this..

UmX, that wasn't your thread friend. If you want specific help for you, create your own thread (FYI, I have moved your posts to your own thread...).

But that said, not sure the resolution of your LG34" curved monitor. That is important to know to give you the best assistance possible.

Why was my post deleted when I was asking for help?

I was asking if my 970 sli was good or should i go to a 390x bc of the memory.. Since i run a 3440x1440 reso..

It was moved here to your own thread......

Now that you clarified the res, I'm thinking your 970's should be fine. Are you running into any vRAM related issues like hitching and such caused from passing 3.5GB barrier?

Why was my post deleted when I was asking for help?

I was asking if my 970 sli was good or should i go to a 390x bc of the memory.. Since i run a 3440x1440 reso..

It wasn't deleted, it was moved. It's to keep from causing confusion in the other thread by having multiple questions popping up.

Now that you gave the resolution, it should be just fine. More vRAM wouldn't be a bad idea, but I run 5760x1080 on my 980 which has 4GB and it does fine.

I was just trying to not have to make another thread so it didnt clutter thats all :( let me read this now lol

Its not clutter to create a new thread, its confusing to post in someone else's! Though it was related, it wasn't the exact subject, and it was someone else's thread (called threadjacking). :)

I also deleted your other new thread... we should be good here now. ;)

only issues i get is random screen glitching sitting at the desktop when SLI is enabled.. Thinking one of the cards is bad..

How can you tell if you maxing out the memory on the cards?

So that is a no on maxing out your GPU ram, correct?

Have you tried different drivers? Either newer/older for the 'screen glitching'?

EDIT: I would ride the 970s out until they start showing signs of a lack of vRAM. If you upgrade to 290x, you are essentially paying for very little performance increase and a lot of ram as well as darn near doubling your power use and heat ouput (since a 390x is a 290x rebrand with more vRAM). Not something I would do if I wasn't having problems.

How can you tell if you maxing out the memory on the cards?
Check in MSI AB the vRAM use. Play your games for 20-30 mins with it running then check the graph.

Last edited:
I am on windows 10. it did it on 8 I have been thru allot of different drivers.. Doesnt do it all the time just randomly..

But no issues in games.. So idk.. Yea I use MSI AB.. So ill turn on that so i can see it.. thanks

Back