• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.1 speakers for home theater - advice please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jazzyjenna

Hows it going everyone,

I'm new here and I signed up specifically so I could get some help after I wasn't able to find exactly what I was looking for when scanning through the forums. I'm setting up my first home theater and I'm in need of a good surround sound 5.1 system, as well as the speakers. My main question is, would my money be best spent buying each of the speakers individually, or would the end result be better with going for an all-in-one package like the Onkyo HT-S3500 or something similar? I'm inexperienced as far as speakers go and hoping someone could help me out, either with a recommendation for the whole package setup, or the individual speakers. I'm having a hard time finding something like a guide of some sort that compares speakers though I've just started my search earlier today.

Thanks in advanced for all of your help! :)

What kind of budget are you working with and what country are you in?

I'd be looking at piecing your system together, personally.

Well, I've been looking at whole systems, specifically the sets i found here, but now you have me rethinking that route. I want these speakers to last a while and wont be outdated in a couple of years, so if i have to spend some big money I will. Right now I was looking to spend less than $1000 total, but if more is needed I could probably find more $$ to finish the set. I have just recently purchased a Sharp AQUOS 70" so I need the best audio to go with it :)

Where would you recommend I start as far as the speakers go? Should I aim for same brands or does that not matter much? I've also been reading about amps, is that really necessary with today's receivers, do they all have their own power source?

oh, I'm in the US btw.

Last edited:
How many devices are you planning to connect to the receiver?
Do you do more of movies, music, games, or TV? (or all fairly equal? This will determine what speakers are best for you and if you need an amp)
Are you looking for any specific functionality in the receiver or just a good quality one?

Well, I only have a few things: apple tv, blueray player, satellite receiver etc.

Its mostly going to be for movies/tv surround sound but I would like it to sound good if I ever did want to listen to music through the speakers.

I don't really have any specific functionality in mind, just a good quality one.

Well, I only have a few things: apple tv, blueray player, satellite receiver etc.

Its mostly going to be for movies/tv surround sound but I would like it to sound good if I ever did want to listen to music through the speakers.

I don't really have any specific functionality in mind, just a good quality one.

In that case, I would get Klipsch for speakers and most likely a Yamaha receiver.

Here's a good receiver:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0MJ-0022-00010

A good place to start for Klipsch would be the Reference series, but you may have to go with the Synergy series to stay in budget.

Awesome!

So, I think ill take your advice and go for the Yamaha as I really have no clue what to look for in a receiver.

As far as the Klipsch speakers go, you think it best to go with buying the whole home theater reference series set, or mix n match between those and others?

Thanks so much for the help, I'll check back in in a couple weeks once its all set up. :)

You're very welcome!
Would love to see some pictures of the setup once you have it done, that'll be a nice setup for years to come :)

I have a pair of b&w 601s, and they are stellar. You will often find one pair of 601s in the $300 range, alone. This guy must have made a major upgrade. This setup could easily cost $1,000+ if you pieced it together on eBay. I'm recommending that buy to all of my audiophile friends looking to upgrade. :thup:

Back