• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Can ping & tracert but no webpages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Okay I finally managed to share my internet via my new server's 2 NIC's.
The NIC's are "Intel PRO100 Server adapters" both configured like this:

Adapter #1 is connected to my router. I gave it my old IP of 192.168.2.5/255.255.255.0, DNS set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Adapter #2 is now connected to my computer given the IP 192.168.3.1/255.255.255.252, DNS set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
My computer's NIC is set to 192.168.3.2/255.255.255.252, DNS set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
My firewall is off and the Server appears to have no firewall.

The server's OS is Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
The only way I can share adapter #1's internet with adapter #2 was with Internet Connection Sharing.

Now here's the thing, I can ping google.ca, google.com and traceroute to them but no page loads. I can ping OCF but it never responds anyway. nslookup works for OCF too but again, it doesn't load.

Yet the server has no problems with any webpages.

Server specs:
Win2K Advanced Server
Pentium III Tualtin 1.4Ghz.
2x Intel PRO100 Server Adapter NIC's
Gigabyte GA-6ETXDR
4Gb ECC SDRAM

My specs are in the sig, the FX rig.

The only thing I can think of is a misconfiguration somewhere or maybe a jumper on my serverboard even?
Totally stumped on this.

EDIT: Network setup is like this:
Satillite modem -> Netgear MBR1210 -wifi link-> Dlink DIR-601 running beta DD-WRT -> Win 2000 server -> My rig.
ping.PNG

Last edited:
Why are you not routing your connection through a switch?

Why are you not routing your connection through a switch?

Simply to avoid cabeling.
The modem is in the living room which is across the main entryway and past my brother's room. The far end of the house, is where my room is.

A wifi link was the easiest way to avoid having a cat5 cable running half the length of our house. But, it makes a double NAT issue I cannot solve. Problem lies within the now permanent DD-WRT firmware installed on the Dlink router. :bang head

It's been a while since networking classes, am I missing something by not using a switch? IIRC, I don't think I am?

Run a switch in your room; you don't have to run another cable. Trying to route your connection through a Windows based computer is always a pain, especially while using such an old operating system.

Run a switch in your room; you don't have to run another cable. Trying to route your connection through a Windows based computer is always a pain, especially while using such an old operating system.

I'm confused. Running a switch in my room?
I'd still have to run cables, but it would solve my connectivity issues and allow access to my server.

Running my connection via Windows is tougher than I thought I won't lie. I'm used to Server 2008R2 since that's what we used in college. Server 2000 lacks a lot of 2008's features...

The Dlink DIR-601 router in your room has multiple ports, why not use those? I didn't see the wireless link portion when I read the thread the first time.

The Dlink DIR-601 router in your room has multiple ports, why not use those? I didn't see the wireless link portion when I read the thread the first time.

I forgot to mention that the Dlink is in my brother's room. I ran a cable through the wall from his room to my room. Otherwise the wifi signal is too weak, it had to be in his room.

The easiest solution is probably just to run a 4 port switch in my room then.
I'm still curious as to why I can traceroute, but not receive webpages. :-/

Can anyone see this post?
If so, I solved my issue.

It was some misconfiguration on my adapters and WinGate's settings. (Firewall and access restrictions) :facepalm:

Back