• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI MS-1656 Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mekks

I picked up a MSI MS-1656 laptop that someone trashed at my job. It seems to be in decent condition except for the keyboard and lack of battery life.

The keyboard seems to be messed, the lower level of keys doubles/miss presses. I found a new keyboard on amazon for $30 but am not sure if its worth the cost for an older laptop that might not see much use.

Specs:

8GB RAM (1333mhz)
Intel i7 Q720 (quad core)
Nvidia GTS 250M (1gb)

This thing does get HOT compared to my other newer laptops. I did remove the heat sinks and used new thermal paste.

With those specs and barring other issues, I'd probably get a keyboard. It looks like a serviceable spare system.

With those specs and barring other issues, I'd probably get a keyboard. It looks like a serviceable spare system.

Yeah that is what I was thinking, might go super cheap and order a keyboard from china. This will sit on my work bench and not get used much.

I picked up a MSI MS-1656 laptop that someone trashed at my job. It seems to be in decent condition except for the keyboard and lack of battery life.

The keyboard seems to be messed, the lower level of keys doubles/miss presses. I found a new keyboard on amazon for $30 but am not sure if its worth the cost for an older laptop that might not see much use.

Specs:

8GB RAM (1333mhz)
Intel i7 Q720 (quad core)
Nvidia GTS 250M (1gb)

This thing does get HOT compared to my other newer laptops. I did remove the heat sinks and used new thermal paste.

I was trying to repair MSI notebook onc - when I press, at example D on keyboard it was like I'd press S. I've changed keyboard but it didn't help. So I decided to buy USB keyboard. This notebook is still used by my grandfather and works fine except this issue.

I bought an MS-1656 a few years ago. It has worked fine until now. The plastic around the right monitor hinge is breaking up i.e. successive pieces are falling off. Now the bottom piece below the monitor screen is going. Any suggestions on where to order parts to repair. Thanks.

Back