• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shared usb printer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

hey everyone we have a printer here that is connected to a computer through usb and then shared to another computer, but how do i set it up so that whenever someone logs in it gets added automatically to their account? they are logging in with a domain username and password to said machine and i know i can do this through group policy but i want to avoid that

Group policy is going to be the easiest option, as you can specify exactly who has it mapped (if needed). You can run a script at login that maps the printers, but updating it if anything changes with the configuration is going to be a pain.

unfortunately we have a department who takes care of group policy and getting them to do something like this is next to impossible

unfortunately we have a department who takes care of group policy and getting them to do something like this is next to impossible
Placing a script in the startup folder might be the best option. When I supported the office I worked in, I had the same situations: I couldn't administrate group policy and I needed to map drives/printers. Leave the bat file in the system's startup folder (not the user's startup folder) and it will simply re-map every time they log in. If the printer isn't going to change often, this is pretty easy.

Placing a script in the startup folder might be the best option. When I supported the office I worked in, I had the same situations: I couldn't administrate group policy and I needed to map drives/printers. Leave the bat file in the system's startup folder (not the user's startup folder) and it will simply re-map every time they log in. If the printer isn't going to change often, this is pretty easy.

i found this which i think should work, where is the system startup folder?

Code:
CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM 
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\server_name\printer_name
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n \\server_name\printer_name

I'm on Windows 10, so it might be different, but I think it is here:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Or you can right click the folder and do "Open all users"
VnIah1d.png

I'm on Windows 10, so it might be different, but I think it is here:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Or you can right click the folder and do "Open all users"
View attachment 167376

nope i will have to find out where it is on windows 7 but thanks so much for your help!

Use the menu option in the picture I posted, that will get you to the right location.

And you did open/explore all users?

Mine goes here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Back