• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So I have the Samsung 850 Evo 500gb. It only show 418gb of space on there. Is this normal or is the ssd not working right or something?

Attachments

• space.PNG
    space.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    38.9 KB · Views: 93
  • SSD Values.PNG
    SSD Values.PNG
    38.3 KB · Views: 109
  • SSD.PNG
    SSD.PNG
    44 KB · Views: 110
It looks like you(someone) setup some over provisioning (OP) on this drive. Look at your last screenshot...if you hit that "Clear OP" button, that space will then be available to the rest of your drive.

If you look at our review, you will see there wasn't any OP on it. Was this drive bought used? Or what happened upon installation? It almost looks like this is a slightly used drive maybe? What is with the 3 small 'partitions' before C:\? Did you try to install a couple OS's on it (bitlocker 100MB partition)?

Can you post a screenshot of Computer Management -> Disk Management portion and show the EVO?

Disk management

I have no idea what that is. I bought it brand new from Microcenter. I never set up OP.

Attachments

• disk management.PNG
    disk management.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 59
Wow.. what a mess. I do not think that 450MB partition should be there... and I do not believe OP is setup out of the box either. Im a bit OCD, so I personally would image your OS, remove all partitions on the drive (through Disk Management), and format it. Then dump your image back on the drive.

Image my OS: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

Delete a partition: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-a-hard-disk-partition#1TC=windows-7

If you have aspirations to be a PC technician and own your own business doing so, you need to search and learn some things on your own my friend. :)

In a nutshell you will start by imaging the OS and creating a boot disk to restore from (or USB - can find instructions on the interwebs too). Once you have the image and a way to access it, then you want to wipe that drive clean by deleting it and removing all the partitions and then finally, formatting it. When that is done, you can use that boot media you created to restore from the image you created. Then it should be cleaned up for you. I am not sure if you need to remove the OP first or if the format will take care of it though. Worst case is you do it in Windows with the tool.

Report back with questions. :)

Last edited:
Back