• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24TB NAS Raid 0+1 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

I want to put x4 wd red 6tb nas hard drives in my pc (sig) and read that a 0+1 array would be the best option.
Is this correct and how much space for data will it actually be after setting it up? I'm keeping the 840 msata for OS backups and replacing it with an Intel 400gb 750 Series HHHl PCI-e 3.0 NVMe ssd.
Big step for me a total noob. I figure my pc will blaze after that providing the rest of it can take it. I will put all my music, video, pics, software backups, etc., on them. Thanks for any replies.

Win7 Pro x64
Asus VG248QE & Vizio M492i-B2
CoolerMaster Silencio 352 (micro/mini)
Asrock FM2A88X-ITX+ mini
AMD A10-7850K @4.5Ghz, Radeon R7, Coolermaster Nepton 120XL
SeaSonic 400 Plat Fanless / CyberPower CP1500 sine wave ups
G.Skill TridentX ddr3 2400 2x8gb
840 evo 120gb msata (os), 2x2tb & a 320gb sata's
Audioengine; A5+ spkrs, S8 sub, D1 dac
Max Nighthawk X8 cherry mx brown

Last edited:
I see no sig, you must have posted from the mobile site.
Try using the mobile app (Android and iOS) instead, it shows your sig when you post from it.

The first question should be "How much storage space do you need?"
The second question should be "What will the storage be holding and how critical is it?"

Added my 'sig'. All my data basically but not sure how much space is actually availabe using 4 6tb's in 0+1 array.
I think I got it. 11TB

Last edited:
It is RAID 10 (no recent RAID card will do 0+1), and the usable space is exactly half of the raw capacity. I hope you aren't going to attempt using on board RAID for this.

What are you trying to achieve by putting the drives in RAID? If it non-critical data (movies, music, etc), running two standalone disks is going to be a lot less headache.

Please reconsider RAID 10 for large scale arrays. This is from both experience and theory.

There is a high level of risk inherent in large arrays due to correlated disk failure. This occurs when mirrored disks in both RAID 0 arrays fail at the same time. Logically, it would be the same chance of failure based on MTBF. In real life, the risk is greatly increased by rebuild processes when disk are heavily used. This increased happens with other RAID levels, but risk of data loss large scale data loss is much less in other configurations. This is coupled with exceptionally long rebuild times exponentially increases the risk.

The best commercially available RAID level for data storage use is typically RAID 6 with two parity disks and a good backup methodology. RAID 5 can be used, but does have higher risk.

This costs space, but how much is your data worth? I've watched a system with a 6 drive RAID 10 with hot spare fail during the rebuild. It's very ugly. Needless to say, that RAID level is not used for anything other than volatile, replaceable data.

Again, from my post earlier:

The first question should be "How much storage space do you need?"
The second question should be "What will the storage be holding and how critical is it?"

Answering these two questions, habbajabba, will help us help you.

Thanks guys. You just saved me $250 and undoubtedly a huge headache. I'll just buy 3 and replace the 3 odd satas I am using. I never lost data on a data disc unless I accidentally deleted it myself anyways.

Thanks guys. You just saved me $250 and undoubtedly a huge headache. I'll just buy 3 and replace the 3 odd satas I am using. I never lost data on a data disc unless I accidentally deleted it myself anyways.
Grab an online backup program, like Crashplan. You can't beat 5/mo for unlimited storage. By default, it uses a 15 minute interval for backups with versioning.

If you don't want to drop any money, you can use their program for free (you pay to backup to their systems). I have Crashplan running on my virtualized file server, which backs up my desktop and laptop, along with a few friend's/family's systems. The desktop and laptop are also uploading to the Crashplan servers.

I appreciate the advice but will never pay someone to do what I can do for free. And I simply don't trust my data on unknown servers which also require internet access. I use the free boot iso redobackup. It backs up my OS only. Plus with 3 6tb disks I can easily use something like autover for data backups if I choose as well. You guys are way smarter than me. Can't wait for the new seasonic ps so I can actually use my pc again.
I decided against the getac b300 laptop as it is over 7g's fully loaded. I'm buying a motion computing win7 2.9ghz 12.5" tablet instead. ~$2900. This damn android phone is seriously bad for ones eyes.

From practice and I'm heavily involved with business continuity and disaster recovery within our corporation, the best strategy is to always have three copies.

The original data.
A local backup or copy on discrete media
Most importantly, a stable offsite backup or copy

Some will go farther, but this is a good minimum. I follow this with my local datacenter and have around 200TB of active storage and several PB of archives going back more than a decade.

Offsite network based backups are good for home and light commercial use. Check the reviews and specifications. The systems encrypt your data and normally run scheduled differential backups to the remote servers.

Thanks. I'm grabbing a Thermaltake Quicklink usb3 hdd adapter for convenience sake. It's cheap. But my most important backup is really the OS. Data discs can be recovered fairly easily with the likes of r-studio. If this was a business pc I would defenitely do it all thrice over.

Back