• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Commando / Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raaid

Registered
I recently aquired an Asus Commando with a Q6600 and an E7500. I am trying to overclock the Q6600 to 3.2-3.6 if I can get it there. It is in a Raidmax Smilodon case with a 1050W psu. In total it has 5 fans, one of which is a Cooler Master on the Q6600. At idle it sits at about 38 C. I currently have 8gb (4x2) Mushkin DDR2 800 (PCI-E 6400). Whenever I try and OC at 3 ghz and run Prime95 after about 5 min it gets to 70C and I shut the test off and reboot to make changes in the BIOS, but the BIOS isnt there and I have to CMOS reset before the BIOS will show back up. Any ideas why thats happening? I feel like I should have plenty of cooling to be able to get atleast a 3ghz OC......right?

FSB - 333
Dimm Freq - have tried both 667 and 800
PCI-E Freq - 100
VCore - 1.325
Memory Voltage - 1.8 (stock for the RAM)
SB Chipset Voltage - 1.05

RAM settings I have at 5-5-5-15 (manufacturer says 5-5-5-18)

This is my first system I am able to OC, so sorry for asking about ancient technology.

Does anybody have any idea why I have to CMOS reset after each OC? From everything I have read, 3ghz is pretty easy to do with this mobo and cpu.

I has similar thing on P5E3 Deluxe - I always had to turn at least PSU on and off and then board posted again with "Oveclocking failed".

Which revision of Q6600?

Asus P5Q does something similar, Have to power down the board completely wait till the led goes dark then it will post with no issues.

I has similar thing on P5E3 Deluxe - I always had to turn at least PSU on and off and then board posted again with "Oveclocking failed".

Which revision of Q6600?

I dont get anything about overclock failed, it just wont let me go back into BIOS to fix it. It boots straight to windows with no problems. Wiht all the fans I have, wouldnt you thnk that I should be able to achieve a OC over 3.0? At 3 I hit 70C within 5 min.

Maybe you have... USB keyboard :) Change to PS/2, USB keyboards sometimes don't work in BIOS, or work after some time. About OC of q6600 - try 2700 for the beginning.

I do have a USB Keyboard. When I press F1 like always to enter BIOS it gives me the option to either boot Windows normally or diagnose windows start. If I press nothing, Windows boots like normal.

Yeah, a lot of times a PS2 keyboard will correct that problem. And sometimes there are dedicated USB ports for mouse and keyboard that will initialize soon enough in the boot up process to be available to use in bios. Try other USB ports.

So even though it recognizes that I am pressing a button, and takes me to a different screen, you still believe its the keyboard? I can try another one and see what happens. I figure that since it boots straight to windows If I press nothing that it wouldn't have been that.

With 5 fans, what else can I do to keep it cool? Seems to run stable for a few minutes before it heats up.

Remember that it's old board and might not be as "overclocking friendly" as later 775 boards based on P45 or X48. Maybe changing the cooler will help. I asked about revision of Q6600, because older revision was hotter and tend to overclock worse.

I recently aquired an Asus Commando with a Q6600 and an E7500. I am trying to overclock the Q6600 to 3.2-3.6 if I can get it there. It is in a Raidmax Smilodon case with a 1050W psu. In total it has 5 fans, one of which is a Cooler Master on the Q6600. At idle it sits at about 38 C. I currently have 8gb (4x2) Mushkin DDR2 800 (PCI-E 6400). Whenever I try and OC at 3 ghz and run Prime95 after about 5 min it gets to 70C and I shut the test off and reboot to make changes in the BIOS, but the BIOS isnt there and I have to CMOS reset before the BIOS will show back up. Any ideas why thats happening? I feel like I should have plenty of cooling to be able to get atleast a 3ghz OC......right?

FSB - 333
Dimm Freq - have tried both 667 and 800
PCI-E Freq - 100
VCore - 1.325
Memory Voltage - 1.8 (stock for the RAM)
SB Chipset Voltage - 1.05

RAM settings I have at 5-5-5-15 (manufacturer says 5-5-5-18)

This is my first system I am able to OC, so sorry for asking about ancient technology.

Does anybody have any idea why I have to CMOS reset after each OC? From everything I have read, 3ghz is pretty easy to do with this mobo and cpu.

Enable CPU load line calibration.

Back