• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Letting go of the E-penis and going smaller.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I have put my Rig up for sale, I honestly havnt used it in over a month, I play way more Fifa now, which is done on consol.

So my wish is, to go smaller. I would be looking to build an ITX or mATX. I dont know if i should go back from X99 to Z chipset (havnt paid attention latly, but we're moving into Z170??)

What would be a great build to go with.

I dont want TOO much money stuffed into the rig, but I do want a powerhouse for gaming!

I will be keeping my 3x Dell screen setup, and I will still want to watercool CPU and GPU. It has to be in above 150FPS in BF4 on Single 1400p.

The new AMD cards did not rock my boat at all, but the green team arnt really pushing barriers for me either.

Which case and setup would you guys use to match my wishes? I am NOT looking to overclock much. Just the regular 3 or 400mhz above Turbo value. Has to be Intel CPU!

Go ahead, remember, i am NOT in the USA, there is not budget set, but please keep in mind that i am not in the states.

I would go Skylake personally.

mATX/ITX board (haven't seen reviews out, but I love EVGAs, and MSI's implementations.
2x8GB DDR4 3K CL15
Keep your 980s
Keep your PSU
Keep your SSDs

If not

2x 980Ti
EVGA G2 850W
OCZ Vector 180 SSD

SInce Im in the states, you can find those parts at your vendor of choice that is available to you. ;)

Last edited:
I would go Skylake personally.

mATX/ITX board (haven't seen reviews out, but I love EVGAs, and MSI's implementations.
2x8GB DDR4 3K CL15
Keep your 980s
Keep your PSU
Keep your SSDs

If not

2x 980Ti
EVGA G2 850W
OCZ Vector 180 SSD

SInce Im in the states, you can find those parts at your vendor of choice that is available to you. ;)

I would be looking at selling my current rig as a whole.

The new build would be when its sold. I am considering building external water cooling, to avoid space issues.

I am well aware that I should be keeping the 980's But to be honest, i didnt see much difference (did see some) but not much going from 3x 7970 to 2x 980. So i would even be open to running 2x 7990.

As far as MB and CPU, i would buy the latest, but not brand new, unless there is nothing to find, CPU's surface pretty fast from people that hit walls overclocking.

But why 3k ram?

I am well aware that I should be keeping the 980's But to be honest, i didnt see much difference (did see some) but not much going from 3x 7970 to 2x 980. So i would even be open to running 2x 7990.
I wouldn't go back to that old of a card, particularly a dual GPU card... too much power, too much heat, particularly in a small form factor.

As far as MB and CPU, i would buy the latest, but not brand new, unless there is nothing to find, CPU's surface pretty fast from people that hit walls overclocking.
Then get it used...

But why 3k ram?
Because if you go skylake, its DDR4. Why buy DDR3 speeds on a DDR4 platform? Pricing isn't much different. I picked up 2x8GB DDR4 4K for $80.

Good Luck!

Prices havnt hit the floor on DDR4 just yet, they have dropped, but still about 50% more than DDR3, but who knows, this could be months from now this build, much can happen.

this could be months from now this build, much can happen.
:facepalm:

We go over this nearly every time with you, LOL! Let's chat when you are ready to build... prices are what they will be, etc..Come on Pierre, you have been here long enough and been through this enough to know better! Such wasted time.

Honestly, I havnt paid much attention to PC stuff in months. I know the world hasnt changed big time, but i have honestly have no idea what the new intel chipsets bring.

Back