• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't Overclock Intel Pentium E2140

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vinayak30

Registered
hi,
I am new here. I need some help on overclocking.
specs-
Intel Pentium E2140 (@1.60 GHz)
2 GB DDR2 ram
Sapphire Nvidia Geforce 210
Jetway MoBo with Phoenix Award BIOS (2008)
chipset - intel i945G
Intel DTC AAR-001 stock cooler
In BIOS I can change my bus speed and CPU multiplier (x6-x8) and CPU v-core 7 shift. Also I have options for changing VDIMM voltage. In all I can overclock.

the problem is, whenever i get over 1.75 gHz, my computer becomes unstable and @ 1.80 gHz it doesn't boot.
I've tried increasing cpu voltage ( in my bios it is listed as cpu vcore 7-Shift) by 1 level but it doesn't have much effect. Please help me! i need to overclock it to around GHz . many say its an "overclockable" processor. please help!
PS- i have currently overclocked my gpu (sapphire nvidia geforce 210). it is very stable. I wanna know if an overclocked GPU have an effect on overclocking CPU?
Screenshots from CPU-Z- spd.jpg cpu-1203.jpg graphics.jpg mainboard.jpg memory-1606.jpg

Poor board to overclocking. Try higher FSB maybe 266, board may have FSB hole.

Overclocking the GPU will have no effect on the CPU overclock. Those CPUs had an unlocked multiplier? Might be better to leave the multiplier at stock and try overclocking with the FSB instead. But you would first have to lower the memory frequency to make some headroom as it will grow as the FSB increases. But bartx is correct about the board being a poor candidate for overclocking.

what is fsb hole?

Some times certain FSB speeds aren't stable no matter what. Try going a few steps higher and see if it works. I've had boards where say 195 was stable but 196 won't work at all but bump up to 199-200 works fine (just an example)

Some times certain FSB speeds aren't stable no matter what. Try going a few steps higher and see if it works. I've had boards where say 195 was stable but 196 won't work at all but bump up to 199-200 works fine (just an example)
Exactly. If you need more power I'd look for better CPU, E6600 should be faster than any overclocked E2140 or E2160. And you'll buy it for couple of bucks.

Yes it does have an unlocked multiplier.
I bumped the FSB to 225(x8) and the computer refused to startup. Had to replace the CMOS battery to get it going. I did it with +50mV vcore increase but it failed... :-(
Also I reduced the RAM frequency to 400 MHz from BySPD (533 MHz) but still the same result.

- - - Updated - - -

I would certainly love to have a new processor but I'm out of "age" and "fund" (Sad story of an Indian High School Student :attn::rain:

fsb holes from what i recall on core 2 only happened on NV based boards.

can you list all the settings in the bios you have for the cpu, how about a model of the board as well? an easy route would prolly be the pad mod and go from 200->266, that would put you at 2.1ghz.

fsb holes from what i recall on core 2 only happened on NV based boards.

can you list all the settings in the bios you have for the cpu, how about a model of the board as well? an easy route would prolly be the pad mod and go from 200->266, that would put you at 2.1ghz.

In BIOS , under miscellaneous controls
Speed spectrum Disabled
CPU V-CORE 7 SHIFT Auto
DRAM FREQUENCY By SPD (533 MHz) Options : 400 MHz | 533 MHz | 800 MHz
VDIMM VOLTAGE Default
VCCNB VOLTAGE Default
VCCSB VOLTAGE Default
Some more voltages
CPU BLOCK / PCI CLOCK 200/33 Mhz (Unlocked)
CPU RATIO x8 (can set it to 8 or 6)
FSB 1333 MHz support Disabled

MoBo model - Lakeport (see pics above)
Motherboard is a Jetway 945G
Phoenix AwardBios Setup Utility

I have told before that I CAN'T GO OVER 220 CPU BLOCK. WHEN I TRY TO GO OVER IT MY PC CRASHES. END OF OC'ING 101...

then it will very well be a limitation of the 945chipset, if it can support higher fsb based core 2's. then it might be locked into a lower fsb ratio, so pci/pcie speeds are to high when your at 220+. if 266fsb cpus are supported then think about pad modding the cpu.

then it will very well be a limitation of the 945chipset, if it can support higher fsb based core 2's. then it might be locked into a lower fsb ratio, so pci/pcie speeds are to high when your at 220+. if 266fsb cpus are supported then think about pad modding the cpu.

So what do I do?

Maybe setting straight to 266? This chipset supports 266 FSB cpus.

Hey man thanx but I've written before thhat when I go to 221-222 MHz the PC doesn't boot...

- - - Updated - - -

Lower the DRAM clock to as low as possible.

You mean I go to 400 MHz (lowest frequency optioned) from 533 MHz?
PS - I have a FSB:DRAM = 3:4 , does it have any significance? How do I change it?
(sorry, I am a total noob!)

i have given you the answer in my other post, pad mod the cpu. you should also find out what setting in bios will give you 1.25 and 1.3v on the cpu in cpuz.

Hey man thanx but I've written before thhat when I go to 221-222 MHz the PC doesn't boot...

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I suggested to you to try 266, because it another step in FSB frequency, it changes strap and affects dram frequency.

You mean I go to 400 MHz (lowest frequency optioned) from 533 MHz?
PS - I have a FSB:DRAM = 3:4 , does it have any significance? How do I change it?
(sorry, I am a total noob!)

Back