• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 6600K / i7 6700K OC results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I assume you mean the Intel XTU? Been out of the OCing game for a few years so im not up to speed on a lot of it :p

I somehow missed your post. Yes, I meant Intel XTU. It's pretty good for stability testing but for some reason benchmark is showing errors faster than the stability test. I know there are more stressing tests but after 1h+ XTU I've never had problems with stability in games or other soft. Maybe if you are planning to use it for some more professional usage then you should consider other soft.

Looks like max is really 1.52V. I haven't seen that docs last time when I was checking Intel website so thanks for the link :thup: However I doubt you will be able to handle it on air/water at this voltage. My 6600K clearly doesn't like anything above 1.4V on water. I will say that safe is whatever runs at reasonable temps but good to know that up to 1.52V shouldn't degrade CPU.

Btw. I was running my chip up to 1.85V on ss/dice cooling and so far I see no issues. It's of course not recommended if you wish to keep your CPU alive for longer :)
On the other hand I doubt that Intel really knows what is the max safe voltage. The same as with most other things it's only theory. I don't think they actually tested many CPUs at 1.5V+ in long full load tests. They had to calculate it based on some data but I just doubt that real 100% load tests at so high voltage. Of course I can be wrong ;)

Btw2, For some reason when I leave voltage at auto on ASUS boards then it reads 1.3V+ as default CPU voltage but on ASRock it was 1.1V+. There is a chance I will test it on MSI board in couple of days.

I have my I5-6600K stable at 4.7GHZ using 1.41v. I dont think ill push for 4.8 GHZ

EDIT: According to intel spec data, max voltage limit is 1.52v....so maybe i will push for 4.8GHZ =)

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

It truly is amazing that a 6600K can hit 4.7GHZ. :) If I was a to put a wager on the odd of getting to that speed I wouldn't think that it would be possible. 1.52V seems really high (and we have looked all over the web trying to find what Intel specs the voltage out at "Asus and Intel documents recommended a maximum of 1.45V" ).

What temperatures are you at? Please let us all know what all four cores are at.:D

Sorry I haven't saw this or chimed in sooner. FYI please don't try to delid with vise. Pcb is much thinner and I being
Impatient tried such. Luckily escaped without permanent damage. It does require a delid like Haswell to get most out of it on any cooling.
First chip does 49/[email protected], but would not pass xtu above that on chilled water up to 1.5v. On LN2 54/[email protected] doesn't seem bad at -85c. Stock vid was 1.286v. Will boot 55/[email protected] but no go on xtu. Haven't had time to push further.
Ordered and received today a backup. First was batch 527, 2 weeks later batch 535. Seems like they finally got enough that people can get it now. Local Microcenter even has stock, which was non-existent a week ago.
Anyone on the fence with a board should try z170 OCF.
Very easy to oc and has been continually supported with bios updates. Top scoring board atm on hwbot. Can't recommend enough. Cant't believe we've gone from 3000mhz or so at best with z97 to over 4000mhz memory with Skylake. DDR4 showed some promise on x99, but is blowing wide open on z170.

Personally I haven't seen any difference between boards while overclocking 6600K but I was testing on boards which have already "mature" BIOS. The only difference was memory overclocking. So far there are maybe 3-4 boards on the market which can handle 4000+ in dual channel. Most boards even if have tested DDR4-4000 then only in single channel.
ASRock OCF has the highest tested memory frequency but I don't think we will use that for a while. Looks like best clock for benching is something between 3600-3800 so if you are using 2x4GB kit then it shouldn't really matter what board you get as long as it was tested by manufacturer with ~3733 modules.

OCF is top scoring board on the hwbot but it's exactly the same as was with previous series and other brands. On hwbot marketing is pushing current best overclocking hardware. ASUS was first and was shouting about records for 2 weeks, later were other brands, now is time for ASRock and soon you will see new Gigabyte as they will release their OC board. OCF is great but I don't think that other boards won't handle similar clocks.

On the other hand you won't see many records on cheaper series as "pro overclockers" are using only top series which were previously prepared for that. BIOS on all these boards is designed to handle high clocks at the cost of stability and optimized are almost only memory profiles for 4GB or 2x4GB DDR4.
Couple of years ago all were overclocking on what they had or what had best price/performance ratio. Now most high spots in rankings are filled up with top series from maybe 4 manufacturers. The same manufacturers are providing additional tools or even guides how to make records but only on designed 1-3 boards. Many overclockers don't even know what are they setting and don't care to learn.

One not related thing is that the only ASRock Z170 Gaming ITX board which I tested simply died after 3h benching on low voltages. It stopped to work as soon as I was trying to boot it above DDR4-4000 ... and it did, once. It's also one of the boards with DDR4-4000 support but only in single channel.
If anyone is interested then ASRock Z170 Gaming ITX/AC has limited CPU and memory voltages to 1.52V <- mentioned max safe voltage for CPU ( couple of posts above ). It still can easily work in dual channel @3866 but won't work @4000+ on current BIOS.

Last edited:
I'm running the cheapest i5 6600K setup the Fairfax VA Microcenter had, consisting of the following:
  • ASRock Z170M Pro4S - $79.99
  • Core i5 6600K - $229.99
  • 8GB Crucial DDR4 2400 - $54.99
With the original release of the ASRock Z170M Pro4S BIOS there was no Vcore adjustment at all. So it would OC to 4.4 GHz and no further using the Turbo 4.4 GHz setting. I flashed the latest BIOS and they added a Vcore offset tweak. So now with a 60mV offset, it runs at 4.6 GHz. If I add any more offset, the temps go through the roof and the CPU throttles. CPU #1 core went to 100C on one Cinebench run, but none of the other cores got past the mid 80s. The highest core temp under load with the 60 mV offset was Core #0 at 83C. I'm using my trusty old Cooler Master Hyper 212 which has reached it's limit or the CPU is the issue. Anyway, 4.6 GHz is fine with me, no need to go any further. I've had the setup for a few weeks and the batch is 521 if that matters to anyone.

I'm running the cheapest i5 6600K setup the Fairfax VA Microcenter had, consisting of the following:
  • ASRock Z170M Pro4S - $79.99
  • Core i5 6600K - $229.99
  • 8GB Crucial DDR4 2400 - $54.99
With the original release of the ASRock Z170M Pro4S BIOS there was no Vcore adjustment at all. So it would OC to 4.4 GHz and no further using the Turbo 4.4 GHz setting. I flashed the latest BIOS and they added a Vcore offset tweak. So now with a 60mV offset, it runs at 4.6 GHz. If I add any more offset, the temps go through the roof and the CPU throttles. CPU #1 core went to 100C on one Cinebench run, but none of the other cores got past the mid 80s. The highest core temp under load with the 60 mV offset was Core #0 at 83C. I'm using my trusty old Cooler Master Hyper 212 which has reached it's limit or the CPU is the issue. Anyway, 4.6 GHz is fine with me, no need to go any further. I've had the setup for a few weeks and the batch is 521 if that matters to anyone.

I'd invest in a better cooling solution regardless. Performance PCS has black Megahelams on sale for around $30. You chip will thank you!

70 to a 100c? That's way too hot for that cpu cooled with water.

Mine is running 25c idle and 55c prime95 at 4100mhz. Air cooled with noctura d15d.

I'd look at your cooling setup again and see if everything working as it should.

I have similar results at 4.2GHz ~1.2V, cooled with custom wc - single 120mm rad, single fan.

~55*C under load @4.2 ~1.2V and ~75*C at about 4.5GHz 1.35V. For some reason 4.5GHz isn't fully stable on my ITX board. I guess it's weird beta BIOS which I got from support. It solves some issues but gives high vdroop and there are no LLC settings to adjust it. I will check latest official BIOS when I find some more time. I'm just not sure if it's good as it has release date about 3 weeks before beta BIOS.
The same CPU was running in tests @4.7GHz 1.36V on other board and I doubt it degraded so fast when I was barely benching it on cold and higher voltages.

Here is photo of ITX PC :)

Edit:

Updated BIOS to the latest official on MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC but there are the same vdroop issues even though this version supposed to fix it. 1.25V idle = 1.20V load :-/
On 1.0 BIOS it was working at about 1.18V 4.2GHz. On 1.10 or 1.12 version the same CPU requires 1.25V.

I still have to update BIOS on ASUS M8H but it's testing RAM stability for now. Hero already has 1001 BIOS while most "standard" boards have only 1-2 versions. ROG series cost some more but at least ASUS support is working some more on these boards.

Last edited:
Nice work, hope they fix it

~55*C under load @4.2 ~1.2V and ~75*C at about 4.5GHz 1.35V. For some reason 4.5GHz isn't fully stable on my ITX board. I guess it's weird beta BIOS which I got from support. It solves some issues but gives high vdroop and there are no LLC settings to adjust it. I will check latest official BIOS when I find some more time. I'm just not sure if it's good as it has release date about 3 weeks before beta BIOS.
The same CPU was running in tests @4.7GHz 1.36V on other board and I doubt it degraded so fast when I was barely benching it on cold and higher voltages.

Here is photo of ITX PC :)

Edit:

Updated BIOS to the latest official on MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC but there are the same vdroop issues even though this version supposed to fix it. 1.25V idle = 1.20V load :-/
On 1.0 BIOS it was working at about 1.18V 4.2GHz. On 1.10 or 1.12 version the same CPU requires 1.25V.

I still have to update BIOS on ASUS M8H but it's testing RAM stability for now. Hero already has 1001 BIOS while most "standard" boards have only 1-2 versions. ROG series cost some more but at least ASUS support is working some more on these boards.

Well my friend, i was overclocking my 6600k to 4.2 at 1.275V Hight temp. was 65° - 67° so is ok!! i am going to try 4.5 using 1.35v to see results and lets compare results

MSI Z170A Gaming m3
Intel core i5 6600k 3.5 GHz

:welcome: Here's to 4.5Ghz at 1.35V!

Could you please list your memory? Full specifications.:salute:

Thanks!

well this morning i made my test with my 6600K and my MSI z170A gaming M3 motherboard , last night was 4,2 GHz at 1.275v CPU core voltaje, temp.: 62°C to 67°C stable for 30 minutes. this morning it was 4.5Ghz at 1.350v CPU Core voltage, stable for 30 minutes using pgame95 stress test and "dont remember name of the Intel tool, very good tool comes with msi board CD tolos" well my benchmark was stock 7565 and overclock was 8356, temp goes from 60°C to 69°(remember you will be afected for the temperatura of the place you are, and if you have a good CPU Heatstink and fans of course)soo this are my results at 4,5GHz and 1.350v CPU core Voltage "if have some advice for me i will be glaad to hear it! :D:D "make sure you have a good Powersupply Guys 850W and Up"

PSD: HAVE PROBLEMS WITH CORE #4 USING THIS SETUP I AM TRAYING NEW ONES.

MSI z170A Gaming M3
Intel core i5 6600k 3.5GHz
Hyper X 2133MHz 8Gb
Cooler Master Seidon 120v
4 fans Heatsink 120mm
Power Supple 600W Cooler Master

Last edited:
Back