• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 6600K / i7 6700K OC results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That particular made me mad as hell when i 1st started messing around with mine, ive got plenty of headroom with HT off and i cant make 4.9ghz stable regardless of how much voltage i throw at it. Skylake seem to be very low overclockers in general no ?

The 6700K overclocks pretty well with most people able to get 4.5GHz ez pz.... which is 10% OC+... what seems odd is the instability when you get around 20% OC+ when your under the thermal limits... There's got to be some more knobs to tweak like the other voltages in the BIOS? Would a small bump to VCCIO or VCCSA help?

When I lower my voltage to just above my stability point, I sometimes see a burst of wattage in the Uncore section under Package... Uncore usually hovers around 1-5Ws but sometimes it'll jump to 40W just for a section, making my max package wattage ~100W. Never did figure out the cause of it or whats going on. Wonder if some small changes to other settings could smooth that out and help out at 4.8+ GHz OCs :confused:

Most of the 6700K won't run stable @4.8GHz on air/water regardless of voltage. Actually adding voltage you can only make it worse ( or you have really good cooling ). If it's "stable" at lower voltage with HT off then probably it's not fully stable. I don't mean long Prime95 tests or anything like that but during normal work or swiching between full load and low power it may crash. This is what I saw on a couple of 6600/6700K and i3 6320.

VCCIO/VCCSA will stabilize almost only memory and memory controller. It can help a bit with cache too. You can try at low cache clock and high cpu to check if there is any difference.

After overclocking you can't look at stock thermal limits. CPU will require lower temps or higher voltages to stabilize signals. Simply when you raise voltage then you have to reduce temp. 90*C+ won't be "safe" temp limit anymore. Maybe for some chips it will be but most will lose stability at lower temps.

Most of the 6700K won't run stable @4.8GHz on air/water regardless of voltage. Actually adding voltage you can only make it worse ( or you have really good cooling ). If it's "stable" at lower voltage with HT off then probably it's not fully stable. I don't mean long Prime95 tests or anything like that but during normal work or swiching between full load and low power it may crash. This is what I saw on a couple of 6600/6700K and i3 6320.

VCCIO/VCCSA will stabilize almost only memory and memory controller. It can help a bit with cache too. You can try at low cache clock and high cpu to check if there is any difference.

After overclocking you can't look at stock thermal limits. CPU will require lower temps or higher voltages to stabilize signals. Simply when you raise voltage then you have to reduce temp. 90*C+ won't be "safe" temp limit anymore. Maybe for some chips it will be but most will lose stability at lower temps.

Couldn't have said it better. As I posted above I've been trying to see just how low I can go with stock voltage and mine at least seems "snappier" at 4.4ghz 1.2v then 4.7ghz 1.34v (although overall slower) since temp difference is ~20c. Certain websites/forums advertise ~80c as safe temp instead of our ~90c and I noticed mine goes slightly sluggish when I get it near ~90c (might Ofc be design fault).

Anyone with delid/custom water/LN2/Dice want to pitch in ?

My delidded i3 6320 was working for about 2-3 months on the same board and now it seems broken. It's randomly freezing + random VGA errors ( IGP and discrete ). Delidding didn't help in anything. A bit lower temps but no OC improvements.

Been doing some research and beginning to think that spike in power usage by Uncore is memory related and could possibly be a source of instability. My default Ring Frequency is 4.0GHz. Gonna try raising that up a bit tonight on higher OCs and see if that helps alleviate the problems I've been seeing on longer benches.

I downgraded my BIOS to OC my i3 from 3.6 to 4.5. My question : Do I continue running the older BIOS with my new i7 6700K or upgrade to the latest BIOS???? Is there good and bad for still using the old BIOS with the i7???? Coming over from AMD's camp :)

Thank You For Your Advice :thup:

I downgraded my BIOS to OC my i3 from 3.6 to 4.5. My question : Do I continue running the older BIOS with my new i7 6700K or upgrade to the latest BIOS???? Is there good and bad for still using the old BIOS with the i7???? Coming over from AMD's camp :)

Thank You For Your Advice :thup:
If you have K and aren't going back, upgrade it. :)

For those that want clarity on the bug (which is fixed by new BIOSs): http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021023/hardware/how-to-test-your-pc-for-the-skylake-bug.html

New to the game here but just got an i7 6700k.
So far results, not fully tweaked but WIP
4.6Ghz - 1.29V (69C)
4.7Ghz - 1.35V (76C)
4.8Ghz - 1.425V (88C)

Right now working on to improve 4.7ghz then maybe looking more at 4.6Ghz. See where the long then sweet spot will be.

Last edited:
Nice chip :thup:
I keep 6700k in my daily rig @4.2GHz just because I see no difference in games above that and it runs at almost stock voltage.

Woomack thanks. What type of games do you play? I go from, Racing/RPG/FPS/RTS. Just depends on the mood I'm in these days and thanks to Xbox/PC cross play getting a few games that can play on both of them is a treat.

I might start dazzling back in 3D Modeling again so extra horse power is always welcomed, but already looking at a nice performance boost from what I had.
I'll probably be more set on speed once I get everything sorted out in my case a little more. Got an old 3 bay removable HDD rack in my computer I'll probably rip out and get the wires all sorted out and the case closed up and see where my thermals are at. I like to have my CPU sitting in the low-mid 60's under general (non-stress test) load. Keeps everything else in my case relatively cool and with my large desk that it sits in, it doesn't warm up extensively when I don't pull the case out slightly.

I play mainly online games, sometimes civilization or other series like that. Recently I play only black desert online just because there is nothing interesting on the market. Personally I see the difference between something like 3.2-3.3GHz and 4.2GHz. I can't see much above that so I keep CPU at 4.2 as it runs at low voltage at this frequency.

I'm currently running stable with 1.25v @4.5GHz. Idle temps of 23-25c and getting a max of 63c with Prime95 v26.6.

Build:
Thermaltake core v71 case
Asus Z170-A mobo
i5 6600k CPU
LPX Vengeance @3000MHz 2x8g RAM
ROG STRIX GTX 1080 a8g GPU
EVGA 650w G2 PSU
250gb SSD & 2tb HDD
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo(swapped fan out for a Corsair HD120)
2x 200mm Front Intake
2x 120mm Bottom Intake
1x 200mm Top Exhaust
1x 140mm Rear Exhaust

I have another 120mm or 200mm fan for the top exhaust but my mobo doesn't have another chassis fan slot :(

Nice Steez. Its right where i run mine and its solid.
Might even consider upping it to 4.6 or 4.7 for the heck of it since i rarely break mid 50's gaming. Right now typing this im around 23-25C with a blazing 18W being used (according to Core Temp) :)

Back