• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 6600K / i7 6700K OC results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I just thought to make a thread with Skylake OC results. It's just thread for random results as Skylake just appeared on the market and many users are wondering if it's worth anything over their older platforms. Feel free to make official list in a new thread or edit 1st post with some table or something.

Here is my 6600K result - 4.7GHz 1.36V , custom water ( have to clean it one day ), ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger

1234.jpg

You can make a table in the first post, other members cannot edit your post. Also, people should make more posts here, in this thread, not another thread for each.

Anyway, what was your stock voltage? Is that all the chip had in it? Looks like a daily overclock? It was mentioned not to go over 1.42v b/c of degredation...so with that, what I feel is a conservative value, you have some headroom...

I need to peel off some some of the 4.9GHz 1.449v from my review and drop them in here...

I just made this thread to gather some results. I don't think I will update results constantly in a table so I don't want to make it as "official" OC thread. Even haswell thread has barely any results in the table ( comparing to all haswell users on OCF ). I was thinking more like 1 thread with OC results list ( if anyone wish to update it ) and one with various tests, results and tips on skylake.

Regarding my result, I think it can be daily OC. I was trying up to 1.45V but nothing above 1.4V was helping and I couldn't even enter Win10 at 4.9GHz. Maybe I will be able to stabilize it at 4.8GHz. Hard to say as I was playing with that all one evening.
I don't remember what was stock voltage. Depends from other settings ( memory, cache etc . ) board is setting anything between 1.05 and 1.30V. I have to set all at auto with RAM @2133 and check it again.

Oh, I assumed since you started it, you were going to maintain it.. my fault!

Anyway, not shabby of a voltage. The 6700K I have (ES) was 1.31v idle in windows. Ive seen as low as 1.24v.

I wonder if that ~1.42V limit is real and tested or it's just the same as in every Intel docs where they were assuming that higher voltage can cause degradation but they never tested it. I guess we will find out soon when more users will report their OC results and dead CPUs :p ... for now I have to check couple of settings so I won't push it too hard.

I forgot to check it earlier but when I set all at stock/auto then my CPU has 1.344V. Mobo ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger BIOS 0401.

heh so you did end up buying one bart.

Im still fence sitting a bit haha

I was counting there will be more results on the forums already. I see that many people after seeing prices and performance, decide on X99 platform and it's not strange as total platform price is not much higher while we get more cores and some more options.
I don't know if it's Intel or motherboard manufacturers but Z170 motherboards are weirdly expensive. Like 20-30% higher prices than Z87/97 boards which they're replacing. At least in EU 5820K cost almost as much as 6700K and gaming/overclocking motherboards are in about the same price ( not talking about some really expensive exceptions ).

I was testing some memory kits but I don't want to say much as long as I test couple of DDR4 kits designed for Skylake. I'm waiting for higher clocked memory to make clock/timing comparison. Right now best results were on Hynix kits but these are limited to ~3400 so maybe new Samsungs will perform better above 3600. I hope I will have a chance to check it soon.

They really aren't available in the us...6600k is but there are ZERO 6700k available. The jump is really only worth it from sandybridge on down in the frist place so.... kind of makes sense.

Anyway, I will,post up something tonight, or just link to my review. ;)

I know it's not widely available in US but OCF members are from many other countries too ;)
I was thinking to test 6600K on ss or dice this weekend but probably I will pick BBQ out of town.

I am well aware that there are people from other countries here, however they are in the extreme minority compared to those that log in from the US...hence the small numbers (all I was saying). Once things are available on store shelves, I am sure you will start to see some more activity on this thread. :)

EDIT: Shoot, I forgot to post up some screenshots last night... I will try that again this evening. :chair:

Im actually having a bit of trouble getting my 6600k stable at any speeds with any voltage outside of stock. I am using an Asus z170-A motherboard, 8GB DDR4 3200 G.Skill (black heatspreaders), and ofc the i5 6600k. I have set the voltage all the way up to 1.4v just to test for stability and even 4.3GHz fails. While stress testing with Prime95 the temps fluctuate between 70*C and 100*C. I have a Corsair H60 CPU cooler with MX-4 thermal paste. Anyone have any ideas?

Luck of the draw

Im actually having a bit of trouble getting my 6600k stable at any speeds with any voltage outside of stock. I am using an Asus z170-A motherboard, 8GB DDR4 3200 G.Skill (black heatspreaders), and ofc the i5 6600k. I have set the voltage all the way up to 1.4v just to test for stability and even 4.3GHz fails. While stress testing with Prime95 the temps fluctuate between 70*C and 100*C. I have a Corsair H60 CPU cooler with MX-4 thermal paste. Anyone have any ideas?

I can't help but be reminded of this core 2 Xtreme quad I bought for 1100.00 that wouldn't go above stock. I even sent it to a couple of forum members on Xtreme PC back in the day. Nobody would believe me. Sometimes you just get a POS CPU. So sad too bad.. Hoping to have better luck with my 6700K whenever it gets here.

I can't help but be reminded of this core 2 Xtreme quad I bought for 1100.00 that wouldn't go above stock. I even sent it to a couple of forum members on Xtreme PC back in the day. Nobody would believe me. Sometimes you just get a POS CPU. So sad too bad.. Hoping to have better luck with my 6700K whenever it gets here.

Id sooner sell it and buy another one than living with a CPU at stock.

The thing is though, I did bench it at 4.3GHz for 8.5hrs and it passed. I did it again for kicks and it bombed out in 27minutes.

Looking at temps, it's overheating and that's why it's crashing but maybe you've missed something in settings. At least on my 6600K all I have to do is to raise CPU voltage and CPU ratio. I also leave turbo enabled and disable all C states, EIST etc. There are also additional settings but most don't matter for ~4.5-4.7GHz.
I would check max CPU clock with memory @2133 or any other lower clock settings. There are problems with stability on most available memory kits and some boards need some additional settings to make it work even at XMP. When you stabilize CPU then go for higher memory clock.

I would also check stability in any test like AIDA64 or older Prime95 so it won't use AVX which causes much higher temps.

Looking at temps, it's overheating and that's why it's crashing but maybe you've missed something in settings. At least on my 6600K all I have to do is to raise CPU voltage and CPU ratio. I also leave turbo enabled and disable all C states, EIST etc. There are also additional settings but most don't matter for ~4.5-4.7GHz.
I would check max CPU clock with memory @2133 or any other lower clock settings. There are problems with stability on most available memory kits and some boards need some additional settings to make it work even at XMP. When you stabilize CPU then go for higher memory clock.

I would also check stability in any test like AIDA64 or older Prime95 so it won't use AVX which causes much higher temps.

Just got around to trying overclocking again. Tried AIDA64 stability test and ran for 8hrs without any issues. Ran Prime95 for about an hour or so and 2 cores failed. Temps still reaching 100*C with Prime95 v27 and 28. Is there an older version you recommend trying? Or another program all together?

Check stability test in XTU. It's about the same as older version of Prime95 ... pre 27.5 version if I'm right.

Back