• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win 8.1 (oem) will not successfully load on new build.... any hints welcome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inquisitive

Have popped a new motherboard set from maplins....... and a new dvd/cd unit...... along with a new ssd hard drive...... together in my case...... then bought new oem win 8.1 64 bit disk..... set the bios..... but windows loads files to 25% before stopping with "problem with your computer".

Appreciate prob may be in many areas..... i've learned and tried many checks and balances for two days now..... yet havn't discovered (therefore ressolved) the offending issue......
Any hints / tips would be appreciated.

build details:

Motherboard Set (bought as "used" from Maplins online shop)
  • AMD Athlon 11 X2 250
  • 3GHz + Asus M5A78L-M LX3 + 4Gb memory

Hard Drive (bought as new PCWorld)
  • SanDisk Ultra 11 120Gb

O/S (bought as new from Maplins online shop)
  • Win 8.1 64bit OEM

bios/boot n attempted load info
  • Set bios to load from cd disk
  • Set bios sata to AHCI
  • Boot - let windows lead...... failed at 25% (comp problem encountered)
  • Boot - Command Prompt - Diskpart.... clean.... convert GPT.... went on to fail 25%
  • Boot - Command Prompt - Diskpart.... clean.... convert MBR.... went on to fail 25%
  • ..... tried various partitions and with NTFS formats..... but went onto fail at 25%

- Anyway to know where a prob maybe?
- Any other format setups for the harddrive to be readied?
- How far could it fly from a first floor window?

Your attention appreciated
Inq

try putting your dvd drive cable in one of the sata ports up toward the gpu, there is no driver for the asmedia ports till you install them in the operating system.
if you are installing from a usb dvd drive be sure you have it plugged into a usb2.0 port not a usb 3.0 port for the same reason.
about 15 feet depending on wind.

awesome thought..... thanks..... I had the ssd on sata 1, 2&3 empty, and 4 was dvd drive (on which the Win 8.1 dvd is being run)..... so moved dvd drive sata lead from 4 up to 2..... then started the loading again..... got to the dreaded 25 %..... and it continued on..... unfortunately only as far as 55%.
will give it a few more goes.... might try dvd sata on 1 and sdd on 2.... just as an extra option

...... have placed an x on the grass at 15 feet with your name on it..... just pending

UPDATE:
by swapping the sata leads around...... got the load process first up to 93 % before failure..... then success (for the file upoald)..... it then seemed quick to jump along to "update" section.... before BSOD

This means I have the win 8.1 files onboard...... and now have a "boot from ssd problem"
error: 0xc000021a

Have been trying to "fix" winlogon.exe in CommandPrompt (won't start in safemode yet

Any knowledge of other causes and ways to force/get it to boot-up successfully, from ssd appreciated.
(the windows disc based repair choices don't fix it)

UPDATE:
......... success...... the end solve was simply to have quick fingers.

Having resolved the crashes during upload of files...... eventually it got to the 100%..... but then crashed out and would not boot.... then I did this:

watch the screen at the 100% because it swiftly moves along to a point of first boot..... HERE..... during where it gives around a 10 second count down before auto reboot..... WHIP the disk out in that 10 second window..... then when it does the reboot the cd/dvd drive offers no "confusion" and it boots at that point from the SSD..... and opens windows as it should.

After sorting a few desktop changes.... I shut down.... rebooted and jumped into bios, here changing the boot order back to normal SSD as first choice..... All good.

I've just popped back to make this note.... as now I know what the final issue was (so simple)..... but it is infuriating when not known..... so may be of use to others with similar problematic win 8.1 clean load.

Have stood down from desire to launch it out the window..... All is good.

UPDATE:
......... success...... the end solve was simply to have quick fingers.

Having resolved the crashes during upload of files...... eventually it got to the 100%..... but then crashed out and would not boot.... then I did this:

watch the screen at the 100% because it swiftly moves along to a point of first boot..... HERE..... during where it gives around a 10 second count down before auto reboot..... WHIP the disk out in that 10 second window..... then when it does the reboot the cd/dvd drive offers no "confusion" and it boots at that point from the SSD..... and opens windows as it should.

After sorting a few desktop changes.... I shut down.... rebooted and jumped into bios, here changing the boot order back to normal SSD as first choice..... All good.

I've just popped back to make this note.... as now I know what the final issue was (so simple)..... but it is infuriating when not known..... so may be of use to others with similar problematic win 8.1 clean load.

Have stood down from desire to launch it out the window..... All is good.

It shouldn't be this convoluted. Installing Windows has never been easy. At least coming from a Mac background.

If you have to "trick" the system into booting the OS, it sounds to me like the media you were using is bad. If you have issues with that install, what I would do is download the USB Creation tool and use that to make an installation flash drive or DVD.

I'd say at least 90% of the time, if you are having problems installing Windows, it's the media you're using.

Back