• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build time- $1500 budget - all suggestions welcome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eichhorn18

Hello,

I am in need of an upgrade for my all purpose desktop. My current configuration is below:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev.1.1 F9 bios
Intel Q9450 @ 2.66ghz
2X2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 @ 2.12V
ATI HD 4870 512MB
2x150gb western digital raptor
Corsair TH750W psu
Thermaltake Armour+ silver case
LG Bluray Writer drive GCC H20L
Soundblaster XFi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion
Zalman 8700 heatsink and fan

While this has served me for 5+ years it's showing it's age significantly. I would like suggestion for a new build. The only component I am considering keeping from this old build is the PSU. Please comment on whether this is a good idea or not advisable.

My budget for the build is $1500 CAD and I do not need a case or any peripherals as these have recently been upgraded. I am intersted in whether it''s worth buying the 5th gen intel or staying with 4th gen. I am not interested in AMD or NVIDIA.

I use my computer for gaming, general stuff and photo and graphics editing (not 3D or video at the moment).
I would like the build to be good for at least the next 4 years. I want a SSD for my OS, and suggestion for a small RAID setup for storage.

Thanks,
Eichhorn18

6700K, 2x8GB DDR4 3000, Z170 Extreme4, GTX 970, EVGA SuperNova G2 550W, 850 EVO 250GB or higher.

That should get you a good start, I can put together a better list when I'm not on my phone later.

In the mean time look around at some cases you like. NZXT and Corsair are my personal favorites for cases.

Is the 6700K worth the price? I am not convinced.

I just upgraded my case to the Corsair Carbide Air 540.

Anyone else have other suggestions for motherboards? I'm not convinced your list will be less that $1500.

Okay-- can I reuse/keep my current PSU? Am I at risk of it failing?

I've never had AsRock before--Is there a Gigabyte alternative?

5+ years on it? I'd just replace.

There's quite a few Gigabyte Z170 boards, but they haven't been nearly as strong as ASRock for the last few generations.

Ok so this thread was started in July 2015. I never followed through with this for money reasons, but I am now in a position to make this upgrade. My situation has changed slightly and so..two questions:

1. I currently live in Canada, but anticipate moving to the UK this fall. Can someone please let me know what considerations I need to make for the PSU. I have been told that I should not have any issues with the power, since the PSU can be switched to accept 240V, and all I would need is a UK power cord.

2. Are the parts that have been recommended here still relevant as we're coming up on 1 year since this thread was started.

Feel free to recommend a new parts list. My budget is still $1500 CAD.

Thx

1. Correct. Most psus will accept 120/240. Just make sure what you choose can switch.
2. Yes.

That parts list was fine... asrock is fine... giga is fine...

Perhaps look at trident z ddr4 3k cl15 sticks now... and evga 500b psu.

Last edited:
A GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 looks like a good motherboard. My Corsiar PSU 620 is 8 years old going strong.

Check the ASRock site, but the only difference should be the front panel.

Back