• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low ASIC or high ASIC? Which is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

I was browsing the net lastnight and found a guy who was selling his brand new GTX 980ti due to a 59% ASIC rating. My ASIC rating is 79%. I looked this up and some people say low ASIC is better and some people say high ASIC is better. I don't know who to believe so I'm here for answers again. If you guys could explain this to me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again. :confused:

High ASIC is always better.
In theory low ASIC = "higher power leakage" so it reacts on voltage better. In real it looks like you add more voltage what causes card to throttle because of temps or it has other problems related to too high voltage.
For example:
- low ASIC GTX980 will make ~1500MHz 1.4V
- high ASIC GTX980 will make ~1600MHz 1.35V
but
- low ASIC will scale up to 1.6V to make 1750MHz on sub 0 temps
- high ASIC will need 1.55V to make 1850MHz even though it won't scale with higher voltage good

These are just examples but I hope you know what I mean.
Simply high ASIC = lower voltage and better OC on air/water and usually also better OC on sub 0 too ( even though it may like high voltages less ).

If someone is selling 59% ASIC card then probably because it's overclocking bad and wish to switch to something better. 58-59% ASIC were the worst in GTX970/980 I've seen , I don't know what with 980Ti but I think it's not much better.

Low ASIC cards tend to be better to extreme overclockers (like very hot CPUs, but it's not a general rule).

Info in GPU-Z window is only "suggested way to interpret ASIC quality". Every card can act different. There are cards which are overclocking the same at +/- 15% ASIC while in most cases new cards have ASIC between ~55% and ~85%.

In GTX900 series best cards for sub 0 are not low ASIC cards but high ASIC ... the same cards are best for air/water cooling.
Quick example: GTX980 ~70% ASIC on dice will make ~1700-1750MHz max. Best GTX980 on water can make ~1650-1700MHz. There is no way that low ASIC card beat high ASIC on sub 0 when high ASIC is starting from already much higher clock.
Simply good scalling at higher voltage doesn't mean the same as better overclocking.

Hard to believe in anything what is in the internet lately :p ... but really their example is good. For some reason best for OC on air are EVGA Classified and the same cards are best for OC on cold. High ASIC is good for any temps.

I think that ASIC matters more for AMD right now and how good can be low ASIC on cold depends more from the limits of the card itself. It may scale good on higher voltage but there is always some limit at which card will simply burn :)

I usually get ASIC near 70% and these cards are always about average or below average comparing to other results on cold. The same was in every card I owned from GTX670 to GTX980.

Back