• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 - Antivirus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
people run security these days? cmon people its 2015.

Half of posts like this ↑ are troll baits, other half are actually serious.

After all these years, the following never happened to me until about an hour ago today(!):
I mistyped a web address and the site was a malware site. Avira lit up and intercepted a virus.

So what would have happened if I didn't have protection?

That was a typo that caused that but Legitimate sites routinely get taken over... and so what does 'safe browsing' mean if you go to a legitimate site that has been taken over and you get infected even though you followed 'safe browsing practices'. Wearing protection is a good idea in real life... and it is especially a good idea on the internet!

people run security these days? cmon people its 2015.

The only viable alternative to AV is a solid backup plan. I'm talking imaging every week, a dedicated data drive that it also imaged every week, and all done to an external drive that is then backed up to a network drive off site. You can't image a mounted partition (ie: Windows' C: Drive from within Windows), so it's got to be done in either a pre-boot environment, or in an alternative OS. Software that will image your drive between reboots is generally expensive, simply because it can be scheduled to be done when the computer is not in use. It's also unreliable in my experience, because if it fails, you won't know until you need to restore from that image. Alternative OS's are a better route from that standpoint, but that can't be scheduled, and have to be run completely manually. They generally require a bit of trial and error to figure out, which in all is extremely time consuming. However, the upside is that you have full control of the backup, and know if it fails instantly.

In light of all of that, AV (particularly free AV) sounds like a much better alternative to imaging. Not that you shouldn't have a solid backup plan, but at least AV mitigates that risk.

Half of posts like this ↑ are troll baits, other half are actually serious.

After all these years, the following never happened to me until about an hour ago today(!):
I mistyped a web address and the site was a malware site. Avira lit up and intercepted a virus.

So what would have happened if I didn't have protection?

That was a typo that caused that but Legitimate sites routinely get taken over... and so what does 'safe browsing' mean if you go to a legitimate site that has been taken over and you get infected even though you followed 'safe browsing practices'. Wearing protection is a good idea in real life... and it is especially a good idea on the internet!

As I have said in the past when replying to people who advocated just 'safe browsing' practices: An antivirus is like a seatbelt in your car. You don't wear it because it is fashionable or comfortable or you like it. You don't go out driving with the INTENT of getting into a wreck. The belt (antivirus) along with airbag(s) (firewall/adblockers) and regular preventative maintence to maintain the car's mechanical attributes (regularly scheduled scans) are there to help reduce your chances of an accident, or to keep you safe in case an accident does happen.

granted it is possible for you to get one that is harmful just by visiting a web page, the chances of it happening so slim to none, going on what like 8+ years? of no active antivirus... no virus yet. guess i must be "lucky".

i also mostly only wear my seat belt if intending to ride on the highway (more than 25mph). or if i have my top and doors off. has a seatbelt saved my life? yes. please do not lecture me on this either, i had it happen on another thread and it was ridiculous. "what if some one was going super fast on a city road" then i guess im dead. the chances of that happening are probably almost nothing, i can drive to the grocery store most days and ever see one car on the road. welcome to small town america. not to mention if someone hits me going that fast and im doing the speed limit, id be dead with a seatbelt on too.

also id like to mention half of the posts with arrows are trollbait as well. the other are just offensive and im telling my mommy.

granted it is possible for you to get one that is harmful just by visiting a web page, the chances of it happening so slim to none, going on what like 8+ years? of no active antivirus... no virus yet. guess i must be "lucky".

i also mostly only wear my seat belt if intending to ride on the highway (more than 25mph). or if i have my top and doors off. has a seatbelt saved my life? yes. please do not lecture me on this either, i had it happen on another thread and it was ridiculous. "what if some one was going super fast on a city road" then i guess im dead. the chances of that happening are probably almost nothing, i can drive to the grocery store most days and ever see one car on the road. welcome to small town america. not to mention if someone hits me going that fast and im doing the speed limit, id be dead with a seatbelt on too.

also id like to mention half of the posts with arrows are trollbait as well. the other are just offensive and im telling my mommy.

If you insist on using no antivirus/security software on a windows system, then the only thing I can say is that you are outright ignorant and fully deserving of all software damages when the inevitable happens. You do not want lectured? Then start actually using and practicing good software security/safety measures. Claims of no viruses in 8+ years? Highly unlikely. Just because it doesn't wreck your system and erase things/lock it out does not equal no infections.

Straight up - you are advocating pure personal/software safety practices and you are getting called out for it like is deserved.

I don't understand the premise of someone coming into a "seat belt" thread and telling people not to wear seat belts.
Obviously this thread is to discuss different seat belts for people that do wear them.

It's other people's business if they don't want to wear a seat belt, they don't have to justify themselves, but this thread is based on a premise that participants have accepted seat belt use - we are just discussing the belts.

There is no purpose in convincing us not to wear seat belts and there is no purpose in convincing others they should either.

People are not the same. I light up my antivirus every once in a while - why should I not have it if it verifiably protected me.
If other people do not need it - may their safe journey continue.

Last edited:
I don't understand the premise of someone coming into a "seat belt" thread and telling people not to wear seat belts.
Obviously this thread is to discuss different seat belts for people that do wear them.

It's other people's business if they don't want to wear a seat belt, they don't have to justify themselves, but this thread is based on a premise that participants have accepted seat belt use - we are just discussing the belts.

There is no purpose in convincing us not to wear seat belts and there is no purpose in convincing others they should either.

People are not the same. I light up my antivirus every once in a while - why should I not have it if it verifiably protected me.
If other people do not need it - may their safe journey continue.

im not trying to convince you that you don't need it. im just saying im running windows 10 and not using any antivirus. And not everyone needs to use it. just like you said, not everyone is the same. just because you get magic viruses from your "safe browsing habits" doesn't mean everyone will. we aren't all the same.

every once and a while i DO run trend micro house call scan to see if anything is there... noap. a few sketchy cookies but other than that.. no active antivirus.

the #1 most annoying thing about antivirus is half of the programs my cousin and i work on get detected as virus's when they clearly are not, if anything they are full of false positives. and nobody likes that. specially wives.

May your safe journey continue.
I am about to fresh install Avira Antivirus on Windows 10 retail and will be posting about that in this thread.
I hope you don't mind.

May your safe journey continue.
I am about to fresh install Avira Antivirus on Windows 10 retail and will be posting about that in this thread.
I hope you don't mind.
not at all, you blew it up into some whole Illuminati conspiracy against antivirus or something. i literally have 0 issue with people using it. none, at all.

sorry if it came off that way in my original post, it was sarcasm in my original post(joke haha). i know it doesn't transmit via text very well, and i apologize. it literally was more of a joke than anything. i forgot what i had even posted really, some reason i though i just posted "i dont run any" or something along that context.

but really, im not starting to create a cult like following towards a genocide against antivirus.

p.s. i never minded, at all.

ok. Other people's wives are hiring managers who get resume files loaded with virii.... on their laptops at home.
This is a thread for people like that ;)

ok. Other people's wives are hiring managers who get resume files loaded with virii.... on their laptops at home.
This is a thread for people like that ;)

yeah my wife doesnt touch my pc's :) jejejeje.

edit: oops looks like ive been running antivirus on my pc for a few weeks now, windows defender self installs with the wind10 upgrade it seems, oh well i guess il leave it havent really noticed it. though after disabling real time monitoring programs seemed a little snappier when loading. but idk i guess il leave it for now. :)

Last edited:
I am in the home stretch of finally finishing my Windows 10 master image and got to Avira.
I edited post #3 of this thread with Windows 10 instructions.

Since Avira and Comodo Firewall are often installed in tandem,
https://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html

On Windows 10:

Comodo Firewall 8.2.0.4703

Double click on Setup.exe to install the program > OK > UNCHECK everything > STOP!!

** CLICK ON CUSTOMIZE INSTALLATION here. ** BEFORE CLICKING ON Next

UNCHECK: COMODO GeekBuddy
UNCHECK: COMODO Browser

> Back > Next > STOP!!

** UNCHECK everything **
Do not change DNS settings
Do not change search engine provider to Yahoo!

> Agree and Install

Comodo Firewall will immediately start behaving crazy-restrictive, immediatley import any saved configurations if you have them:

Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Open... > Tasks [upper right] > Advanced Tasks > Open Advanced Settings [lower right] > Configuration > Right click on empty white window > Import > Browse to previously saved configuration settings file > Open and wait and allow for it to be imported, then right click on the imported configuration > Activate > Yes > OK > OK

REBOOT.

Otherwise, ignore alerts and immediately start setting your custom configuration:

Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Open... > Tasks [upper right] > Advanced Tasks [lower left] > Open Advanced Settings [lower right] >
General Settings [upper left of the Advanced Settings window] > User Interface >
UNCHECK: Show messages from COMODO Message Center
UNCHECK:*Show welcome screen on startup
UNCHECK: Show desktop widget
UNCHECK: Play sound when an alert is shown

Updates > UNCHECK everything

> Security Settings > File Rating > File Rating Settings > UNCHECK everything

> OK > REBOOT

To temporarily block ALL internet access: Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Open... > Tasks [upper right] > Firewall Tasks > Stop Network Activity

Back