• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Codename XmasList project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's a nice board and all, but what does it do for you that any other Z170 board can't?

Cause its Cool Man!

Ohh ATM, you should know better by now:cool:

in review of the project you may recall that this is a serious water-cooling beast.
I originally intended to use the best components for water-cooling all around.
This included using components with pre-existing hybrid and/or water cooling features.
Specifically VRM/Moffset cooling and gCards.

I did look at:
MSI Gaming Z170A GAMING M9, but already been there/done that with MSI.
and
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X

I have almost bought the gigabyte a number of times over the past few months.
But I have been sold on the merits of ROG mobo components and the Formula for some time.

So just imagine.

This

formula.jpg and cpublk.jpg

+

gCard.JPG gCard.JPG

+

6700k.jpg

+

gskill.jpg

= kick *** stuff.

So, will be ramping this project up again with the final big order.
After this will have every major component needed, minus a chiller...
Which will come after I get a better handle on managing the loops.
Need to wrap up WhiteElephant and post some marks first...

Hasta Entonces

So the only reason you're going to the Formula is because of a built in water block and because it's ROG?
Meh, go with one that's cheaper unless you're going sub ambient or need a specific feature.

And, on the GPU, why not go for a HydroCopper with a real block instead of that half air half water thing?
The air cooler part of those will fight the chiller you mentioned.

ATMINSIDE said:
Meh, go with one that's cheaper unless you're going sub ambient or need a specific feature.

Meh?
Like, Meh for built in vrm block and/or ROG?
or just like, Meh Meh??

And, yeah, haven't seen a MSRP on it yet, Assume its $500+
Does using a chiller count as sub-ambient???

ATMINSIDE said:
The air cooler part of those will fight the chiller
huh, not exactly sure what you mean, but we do not want any fighting...

ATMINSIDE said:
go for a HydroCopper with a real block instead of that half air half water thing?
I will most definitely look into that...

Thanks for the feedback ATM! As I have yet to pull the trigger on a purchase, I still have my options open.

Salud

Meh?
Like, Meh for built in vrm block and/or ROG?
or just like, Meh Meh??

IMO unless you're going LN2/DICE you don't need this board.

And, yeah, haven't seen a MSRP on it yet, Assume its $500+

Grab one of these and a Gaming5 or Gaming7, you'll have plenty of board for your usage.
https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-fb-ga-z170x-monoblock-acetal-nickel

Does using a chiller count as sub-ambient???

Yes and no. Yes in the fact that you need to insulate. No in the fact that you're only a few °C below ambient and don't need a board built for LN2.

huh, not exactly sure what you mean, but we do not want any fighting...

What I mean is that while the chiller is cooling the water the built in heatsink will be warming it toward ambient.
A radiator works by equalizing the differential between the ambient condition and the water. Technically that heatsink will act as radiator surface area.
Therefore it'll pull the cooled water to a higher temperature in an attempt to equalize temperature.

I will most definitely look into that...

If you want to go mATX with a chiller, grab the K|NGP|N. It has the ability to be used as a single slot GPU :)
If you're pushing on chilled water though, a Classified would be suggested over a reference design.

Thanks for the feedback ATM! As I have yet to pull the trigger on a purchase, I still have my options open.

Glad I could catch you before pulling the trigger :)

Salud

:thup:

Stay Tuned...

Bang! Pulled the trigger!!!

Stay tuned for:

"At the Pawn Shop: What I hocked to pay for this stuff""

or

"Hooking it All Up: will it all fit?"

Hasta Entonces

Im very excited for this build . I have been looking over a lot of these custom builds people are doing and it is getting me all hyped for my own * first * build.

I think the last Rog Mobo is a bit of a waste of money it is a great motherboard im sure but it is similar to the one i looked at by MSI which was the god like gaming edition. way to much overkill for me and my needs but just like the other the RGB feature is pretty nice and unique lol.
im subbing to see where this goes!
keep up the amazing work.

Im very excited for this build . I have been looking over a lot of these custom builds people are doing and it is getting me all hyped for my own * first * build.

I think the last Rog Mobo is a bit of a waste of money it is a great motherboard im sure but it is similar to the one i looked at by MSI which was the god like gaming edition. way to much overkill for me and my needs but just like the other the RGB feature is pretty nice and unique lol.
im subbing to see where this goes!
keep up the amazing work.

Note that he didn't get the ROG motherboard

Parts Status Update

Hey Blink Gaming! Welcome to OCF!!!:welcome:

:rock:THE Overclockers Forum:rock:

So yeah, everything is in the books (the bank books anyway), and in process.

It basically is as illustrated here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...List-project?p=7891059&viewfull=1#post7891059

I was was all butt sore about the built in vrm cooling in the Formula, but ATM got me some prep-h for that.
I was also all hot and bothered about the ROGs as well. I do love my Hero VII.
But as ATM pointed out I dont need those spendy boards with ln options until I go sub-ambient, which will eventually be my next build.
Interesting enough I believe the Hero VII has an ln mode.
And since I have used MSI and ASUS, I figured I may as well get to know Gigabyte.

What really turned the tides was ATM's link:
https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-fb-ga-z170x-monoblock-acetal-nickel

follow at own risk or with accountant's approval! I knew about ekwb. Actually have the Predator 240 AIO on TheBianch:

EDIT: no album for TheBianch, see:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-TheBianch-quot-Reader-s-Digest-Bench-Project

Not only did I buy the mono-block (which is going to look way cooler than all that plastic "armor")
I also got a universal gpu block and all the necessary stuff to extend my Predator,but that's different proj...

Oh, and one last thing...
I did get the mobo yesterday as well as the i7-6700k!!!
But, I RMAd the mobo without even taking it out of the static bag.
Why? You ask. While like most of us, we are pretty familiar with buying new components and the nature of "factory" packaged.
Well when I opened the outer shipping box and withdrew the magical mobo retail box, I was immedaitely suspicios.
Here is an exceprt from my message to seller:

The first and biggest clue was no seal sticker on the box! but you could see where there had be one. second, the static bag is crinkled up on the corners, obviously opened, and has been resealed with a piece of scotch tape!! third, the misc contents underneath where randomly scattered about, with the door hanger on top of it all. and the driver CD appears to have been handled and the CD sleeve was not sealed and came in a plain unmarked sleeve. One of these I could look past, but all of them?

The seller was NSPIRE via Amazon. The have been super cool and responsive. I got the RMA and pre-paid shipping within hours.
But it shows buyer beware! Especially with the 3rd parties on any site. I had to double check I did not inadvertantly buy an open-box special.
NEVER buy an open-box or refurb!!! Unless you know what you are getting into.

Anyway, I got the 6700k sitting on my desk staring at me...
The cards come today!!! Memory and mobo next week...

So Blink, you are doing the right thing. Look at what everybody is doing.
If you are learning on the go like me, make sure to go to Cooling forum(s) and read hookie's sticky:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/628092-The-Ultimate-Water-Cooling-Thread

And as @Blaylock can attest, take your time, don't rush and do tons of part's research.
If I had rushed into buying all my comp hardware first I would probably be way bummed knowing what I know now.
And as you can see in the previous posts, I did tons of research on the cooling components, and there were numerous RMA's.

Have Fun!

Hasta la Proxima!

Awesome news Swart! Sux about the MoBo though. At least they're taking care of it. I really don't like buying from Amazon because of all the 3rd party mumbo-jumbo but really Newegg is doing the same too. Looking forward to seeing some actual parts pron pics!

...all the 3rd party mumbo-jumbo but really Newegg is doing the same too.
Yeah, most definitely!!
I usually go the egg first, but its all the same-different thing now.
I think its cool the cyber big box's are doing this (See Walmart and BestBuy, et. al.)
as it does offer an easy avenue for these small-time sellers to do business, but, buyer beware.

Seems a post holiday low-stock for the G7. On the egg I could only get it in some bundle, it appeared anyway...
On Amazon they had no Prime stock(stocked and shipped by Amazon, Premier on egg) and only one third party, with 5 left. so I grabbed one.
When I went back to reorder, there were still no Prime stock, but about 5 new different 3rd parties. So we'll see....

Installing a EK-FB Gigabyte G7 Z170X Monoblock

Ok kids, no dicking around here. gonna jump right in.
Stoked to be working on this project again, ahead full-steam...

So all the hardware showed. Sorry no group picture. It actually has been sitting on my shelf for about two week while I finished up an unrelated project to clear up space.
I had all the flow circuit done as far as I could without hardware, and I did not know if the second helix res was going to fit with these mondo cards.

Now I know

IMG_1455.JPG

I either have to ditch the black cover plate that covered the mounting bracket (not shown).
luckily, under the cover plate is a cutout to accommodate the large cards. (pictured)
I can either mod the cover plate and bracket and match the cutout, or
mod just the bracket for new mounting points, as I have to move the res mounts over.
Basic difference is either black or white background. I rather liked the black cover plate...
What say ye?

So yeah, big props to ATM for cluing me in on these monoblocks.
Here is a little step-by-step guide for ya'all enjoyment.
It was pretty simple, but a few tricks.

So we got a stock Gigabyte Z170X G7

IMG_1468.JPG

And the Monoblock

IMG_1473.JPG

So first remove the I/O port cover mofset factory cooling solution (the little screws - 4)

IMG_1477.JPG

Was surprised how easy it was. Just popped right off

IMG_1483.JPG

Then prep the block with the included thermal pads.
Directions said to apply to mobo, but it seemed better to me to do it this way

IMG_1488.JPG

Throw in the 6700k
IMG_1490.JPG

And screw it all down using the supplied tiny pvc washers.
Also on the top you need to use the tiny washers as risers on the mosfet mounts.
I was perplexed at first, cause you crank this down from the bottom, after applying the TG,
How to do it without making a smeared ****-job of the TG.

Not shown, use a little TG to paste the washers in place on the top...
use a redneck car-lift approach. Just easily and accurately place the monoblock and slide
the required holes over the edge of your workspace. The get down on the floor and carefully screw in from the underside.
Make sure to have all the screws preped with the required washers beforehand.

IMG_1494.JPG

And Shazam! There you go!

IMG_1496.JPG

Not the most user friendly component if you were planning on switching out CPU's often.
As this is my only Z170 board and cpu, I am not too concerned with that right now.
I would like to give a test run on TheBianch, but will need to fingure out how to run it off my in-transit Predator 360 AIO.
That's another post, different thread, coming soon...

Anyway, I got to get to work on this bracket mod so I can remount the 2nd res and do some plumbing finally.

Tune in next time for:

"Anyone Know a Good Plumber?"

I leave you with a few more pics of playing around with fittings.

Cheers

IMG_1457.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1460.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    434.1 KB · Views: 126
That monoblock looks sick! :)

Can you put the I/O cover back on now that the block is on?

Very nice Swart! Can you share a link here if you test this guy out on The Bianch?

ATMINSIDE; said:
..Can you put the I/O cover back on now that the block is on?
No Sir! If you look at the finished underside pic, see those 4 little guys with the washers, those are the mounts for the I/O cover.
I briefly looked at the cover, and can possibly hackineer something once I get to that point.

EDIT: Yes Sir! After post, went to examine further. The screws I pointed out are, of course the mofset factory mount screws, which the block uses.
The cover uses other screws, goes on cleanly and clears the monoblock. Sweet

Blaylock said:
..Can you share a link here if you test this guy out on The Bianch?
Yes Sir! Of course.
Actually working now on TheBianch. Got the new Predator 360 yesterday.
Have some work to do. Gonna expand for CPU and GPU, and add three push fans.
Stay tuned to:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-TheBianch-quot-Reader-s-Digest-Bench-Project
for progress on this.

Once I get that going, I will be breaking this bad boy in for sure...

Eskerriasko!

Last edited:
The Formal Consecration of "FatherTime" (formerly code-name XmasList)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! One and all.
Hence forth and forever, by the powers invested by HackInc.,
It is formally declared, that the project informally know as "code-name XmasList",
Is consecrated formally as:

"FatherTime"

father_time3.jpg

Config/Break-in on TheBianch
IMG_1693.JPG
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So that took long enough and Xmas is long past...

##########################################################################
NOTE to the cynical, sarcastic, mocking, ill-informed, insensible or just plain ignorant (feel free to pick more than one).
That gufaw, hardy har, "That dork names his computers, that is so stupid..."
Well, it is kinda my deal and has been for some time, even before I started custom builds.
Rest assured I do not sit around trying to think up some cutesy names.
These names are revealed to me in some manner or the other.
For example, "Why is WhiteElephant" named that? It has nothing to do with an Elephant?"?
And the name was clear as soon as I found it. Other times it takes a process, usually during the build process.
So why "FatherTime"? Well, it really has nothing specifically to do with the codename or that the NewYear has past...
It goes farther than that. Decide for yourself as we continue this adventure of motion through space...
##########################################################################

OK, so anyway. There is a ton of work to complete FatherTime. As some may know I am more inclined to the build process over benching, and will go above and beyond for aesthetics/quality/style (style could be debated). Here is a sneak peak I have been saving for awhile on one of the key style-point features I had custom milled (details later). Expect more of the same/similar, e.g. graphics/etchings.

IMG_1256.JPG

Here is the mod I did on the helix res bracket...
This is really gonna let me move forward with the plumbing!
IMG_1576.JPG
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG

So should be busy both Benching the mobo/gpu on TheBianch and working on the case.
Stay tuned!

Salud

Back